5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

On 7/8/2020 at 2:32 PM, normiss said:

The first reported case came on January 21. Within 99 days, 1 million Americans became infected.

It took just 43 days after that to reach 2 million cases.

And 28 days later, the US reached 3 million cases of the novel coronavirus Wednesday.

We're approaching warp speed Captain.

15 days later, 4 million. Number was hit yesterday, the 23rd.

Yay.

"Shut it down and restart. That's what more than 150 health professionals are urging government leaders in an open letter published earlier this week.

"Tell the American people the truth about the virus, even when it’s hard. Take bold action to save lives — even when it means shutting down again," the letter, spearheaded by the nonprofit U.S. Public Interest Research Group, says."

Yet the now politicized CDC has just come out with  a "Open All Schools" directive. It has officially caved to trumpism.

9 minutes ago, ryoder said:

NYT: As Trump Calls for Schools to Fully Reopen, His Son’s School Says It Will Not

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/23/us/politics/barron-trump-school-coronavirus.html

As trump calls for schools to reopen he cancels the GOP convention and his rallies. Kids are cheap and easily replaced. Old white republican men are a different story.

While there's no way Trump is thinking about this, school is important in how we live and support kids. A significant number get healthy food there that doesn't come as much at home, and working parents, particularly the working poor, depend on public schools for day care so they can work.

For the kids who have enough, it's more dangerous to go to schools. For kids who don't, it might be more debatable.

I just wish the Trumpies were thinking about that.

Wendy P.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

While there's no way Trump is thinking about this, school is important in how we live and support kids. A significant number get healthy food there that doesn't come as much at home, and working parents, particularly the working poor, depend on public schools for day care so they can work.

For the kids who have enough, it's more dangerous to go to schools. For kids who don't, it might be more debatable.

I just wish the Trumpies were thinking about that.

Wendy P.

That is exactly the problem: they aren't thinking of that. What a shit show we live these days. 

(edited)
4 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

"Shut it down and restart. That's what more than 150 health professionals are urging government leaders in an open letter published earlier this week.

"Tell the American people the truth about the virus, even when it’s hard. Take bold action to save lives — even when it means shutting down again," the letter, spearheaded by the nonprofit U.S. Public Interest Research Group, says."

Yet the now politicized CDC has just come out with  a "Open All Schools" directive. It has officially caved to trumpism.

The problem is that in a way the government is right - an economy simply can't function if everything is shut down for a prolonged period. That they said it at the start of a pandemic is just monumental stupidity. The truth is that an economy obviously can function for 4 or 5 months on life support as we're seeing from every other country in the world. But going back to zero now? I don't believe we can survive 10 or 12 months like this, not without unbelievable upheaval and suffering.

The federal government has fucked up so badly that unfortunately we do have to restart the economy at the cost of peoples lives because at this point that's probably the least bad choice, and just hope. Hope that it does't mutate into something more lethal or virulent. Hope that those we care about don't contract it until there is a workable vaccine available or if they do that it's a mild case.

No one in authority has (or will) say it, but we're so far beyond containing this virus that there's limited value in progressing those early plans. We need NEW strategies that take into account our reality, not ones that are half a year out of date.

Edited by yoink

(edited)
6 hours ago, yoink said:

The problem is that in a way the government is right - an economy simply can't function if everything is shut down for a prolonged period. That they said it at the start of a pandemic is just monumental stupidity. The truth is that an economy obviously can function for 4 or 5 months on life support as we're seeing from every other country in the world. But going back to zero now? I don't believe we can survive 10 or 12 months like this, not without unbelievable upheaval and suffering.

The federal government has fucked up so badly that unfortunately we do have to restart the economy at the cost of peoples lives because at this point that's probably the least bad choice, and just hope. Hope that it does't mutate into something more lethal or virulent. Hope that those we care about don't contract it until there is a workable vaccine available or if they do that it's a mild case.

No one in authority has (or will) say it, but we're so far beyond containing this virus that there's limited value in progressing those early plans. We need NEW strategies that take into account our reality, not ones that are half a year out of date.

Fauci July 13."Top infectious disease expert Dr. Anthony Fauci suggested on Monday that the current nationwide surge in COVID-19 cases was due to the United States not shutting down completely in its initial response to the virus....

“We did not shut down entirely and that’s the reason why we went up,” said Fauci during a virtual conversation hosted by Stanford Medicine. “We started to come down and then we plateaued at a level that was really quite high, about 20,000 infections a day. Then as we started to reopen, we’re seeing the surges that we’re seeing today as we speak.”

US shutdown was about 50% in reality, EU is 90%.  Fox news yesterday.

So two weeks ago Fauci warned the lack of breadth in the US shutdown was leading to new cases. Now he has come out again with the same statement as the cause of current US exploding infections.

Just too bad that these factors in infection have to be searched instead of coming from the WH. Too bad that minds like Fauci are forbidden by trump to tell it like it is from the WH podium. Ten million by the election?

Edited by Phil1111

53 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Fauci July 13."Top infectious disease expert Dr. Anthony Fauci suggested on Monday that the current nationwide surge in COVID-19 cases was due to the United States not shutting down completely in its initial response to the virus....

“We did not shut down entirely and that’s the reason why we went up,” said Fauci during a virtual conversation hosted by Stanford Medicine. “We started to come down and then we plateaued at a level that was really quite high, about 20,000 infections a day. Then as we started to reopen, we’re seeing the surges that we’re seeing today as we speak.”

US shutdown was about 50% in reality, EU is 90%.  Fox news yesterday.

So two weeks ago Fauci warned the lack of breadth in the US shutdown was leading to new cases. Now he has come out again with the same statement as the cause of current US exploding infections.

Just too bad that these factors in infection have to be searched instead of coming from the WH. Too bad that minds like Fauci are forbidden by trump to tell it like it is from the WH podium. Ten million by the election?

Anyone who studied geometric progression in math would have reached the same conclusion - it did not have to be an expert in infectious diseases.

But what did we get instead from our leader?

Dithering, delay. denial, death.

This was all absolutely predictable. 

2 hours ago, kallend said:

Anyone who studied geometric progression in math would have reached the same conclusion - it did not have to be an expert in infectious diseases.

But what did we get instead from our leader?

Dithering, delay. denial, death.

This was all absolutely predictable. 

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, center, smiles as he watches an opening day baseball game between the Washington Nationals and the New York Yankees at Nationals Park, Thursday, July 23, 2020, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

Do as I say....

9 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, center, smiles as he watches an opening day baseball game between the Washington Nationals and the New York Yankees at Nationals Park, Thursday, July 23, 2020, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

Do as I say....

The bottle of water probably didn't play any role, I'm sure. No matter, you must be consistent. From now on I'll be peeing down my pant leg lest some paparazzi catch me holding it and send the perv police after me.

2 minutes ago, kallend said:

And Airdvr makes his play for stupid post of the month.

The woman is his wife, the guy is a close friend, and he tested negative the same day.

So...social distancing doesn't apply here?  So if I tested negative yesterday I can't be positive today?

2 hours ago, airdvr said:

So...social distancing doesn't apply here?  So if I tested negative yesterday I can't be positive today?

Trump claimed that to be the reason he didn't have to wear a mask or social distance in the WH.  I don't recall your whining about that.    Hypocrisy much?

5 hours ago, ryoder said:

Wait! Are you implying there are some problems that can't be solved by gaslighting?

Reporter 1: "I don't always do this!  Don't gaslight me!"
Reporter 2: "Gaslighting doesn't exist.  You made it up because you're f*cking crazy."