5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

4 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Bill,

IMO it is more like putting your head in the sand.

They simply do not want to know the truth.

Jerry Baumchen

I believe it is part of human nature, now, to shy away from the unpleasant.

Its what you get when you instill the "Participation Trophy" as a norm to protect feelings, and avoid bad emotions.

59 minutes ago, billvon said:

But in this case people see a degree of medical uncertainty (in how effective masks are, in how effective distancing is, in acquired immunity, in vaccine effectiveness) and decide therefore they're not wearing masks, that it's all a hoax, that it's all the media, that COVID parties give you immunity.

There's more going on than just "frustration as to what's real."

All true, Bill. Wear a mask to protect each other. I wear one all the time. Have we as a nation simply become too self-centered and selfish to wear a fookin mask to protect each other?.  There was an anti-mask rally in Tulsa last week. I bet if I'd went there with no pants and skivvies on - they'd have been offended. But, if I'm offended because they're not wearing a mask - "mah constitutional right is bein violated."  

At what fookin point did masks become a political weapon. <\rant>

(edited)
1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

I believe it is part of human nature, now, to shy away from the unpleasant.

Its what you get when you instill the "Participation Trophy" as a norm to protect feelings, and avoid bad emotions.

It's always been a part of human nature.

Don't think you've made any major scientific discoveries in the field of human psychology, it was just a cover for "kids these days are too soft" rant. Complaining about participation trophies is actually to make you feel better about yourself and avoid bad emotions.

From Plato's "The Republic", 380 BC:

when the young are to be silent before their elders; how they are to show respect to them by standing and making them sit; what honour is due to parents; what garments or shoes are to be worn; the mode of dressing the hair; deportment and manners in general.

And though only the best of them will be appointed by their predecessors, still they will be unworthy to hold their fathers' places, and when they come into power as guardians, they will soon be found to fall in taking care of us, the Muses, first by under-valuing music; which neglect will soon extend to gymnastic; and hence the young men of your State will be less cultivated.

Edited by olofscience

5 hours ago, olofscience said:

It's always been a part of human nature.

Don't think you've made any major scientific discoveries in the field of human psychology, it was just a cover for "kids these days are too soft" rant. Complaining about participation trophies is actually to make you feel better about yourself and avoid bad emotions.

From Plato's "The Republic", 380 BC:

Very Nice.

6 hours ago, BIGUN said:

All true, Bill. Wear a mask to protect each other. I wear one all the time. Have we as a nation simply become too self-centered and selfish to wear a fookin mask to protect each other?.  There was an anti-mask rally in Tulsa last week. I bet if I'd went there with no pants and skivvies on - they'd have been offended. But, if I'm offended because they're not wearing a mask - "mah constitutional right is bein violated."  

At what fookin point did masks become a political weapon. <\rant>

Bolding mine.

Yes. There were assholes at the "open up" rallies waving signs that said something to the effect of "my rights are more important than your health".

When?

There have always been assholes like that.

Just like there have always been racists.

However, the rise of the Mango Mussolini gave those people the willingness to crawl out of their caves and out from under their rocks and wave their Confederate flags around. 

Since Trump wants to pretend this isn't serious, that it will 'just go away', that the disease isn't dangerous, all of that shit; those idiots have taken it and decided they aren't in danger, they don't want to be inconvenienced, they 'aren't scared'.

Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between really brave & really stupid.
Not in this particular case, but sometimes.

(edited)
On 7/17/2020 at 3:30 PM, billvon said:

And to head off your usual intentional misunderstanding, those are paraphrases.

Oh so when you and lock-step liberals do it, it's "paraphrasing." 

When others do it, it's "making things up."

Got it.

Edited by Coreece

17 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

When Trump does it it ""OUTRIGHT LYING!!!!!"" (Said with as much hate as possible)

This post probably has more words in all caps than most of the posts of the anti-trump crowd here. Lots of exclamation marks too.

So if it's so common...could you give some quotes with the uppercase words and lots of exclamation points? If it's really common here it shouldn't take you too long to find an example.

2 hours ago, olofscience said:

This post probably has more words in all caps than most of the posts of the anti-trump crowd here. Lots of exclamation marks too.

Trump clearly goes out of his way to make people angry at him. It is the main way he appeals to his base. That much is easy to understand. What is hard to understand is why anyone would be surprised that it actually works. People are angry at Trump. Duh....

2 hours ago, olofscience said:

So if it's so common...could you give some quotes with the uppercase words and lots of exclamation points? If it's really common here it shouldn't take you too long to find an example.

If that is the only counter argument you can make, I'll just sit back and let you wonder why I don't need to search for a thing.

17 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

I'll just sit back and let you wonder why I don't need to search for a thing.

No one needs to wonder that. You've made it clear many times that you have no inclination to research anything. It's always someone else's job.

4 hours ago, Coreece said:

Oh so when you and lock-step liberals do it, it's "paraphrasing." 

When others do it, it's "making things up."

Got it.

Since he told you it was a paraphrase, it clearly was neither a lie nor a deception.

You really are not on form today.

4 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

When Trump does it it ""OUTRIGHT LYING!!!!!"" (Said with as much hate as possible)

Please give an example of Trump paraphrasing something Biden or Pelosi or Schumer or any Dem said, and admitting that it's a paraphrase in the next breath or Tweet.

Just now, kallend said:

Please give an example of Trump paraphrasing something Biden or Pelosi or Schumer or any Dem said, and admitting that it's a paraphrase in the next breath or Tweet.

Pffft.

In order to paraphrase, he'd have to present what they actually said in somewhat different words (yes, I know you are smart enough to know the meaning of the word, Professor).

I have not seen anything he says or posts about an opponent that accurately represents what they said. Either a paraphrase or a quote.

Ever.

1 minute ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Pffft.

In order to paraphrase, he'd have to present what they actually said in somewhat different words (yes, I know you are smart enough to know the meaning of the word, Professor).

I have not seen anything he says or posts about an opponent that accurately represents what they said. Either a paraphrase or a quote.

Ever.

Well, he probably can't spell "paraphrase" anyway, let alone know what it means.

10 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Again, no.

It appears that some people here do not know what paraphrasing is.  Here's an example.

Trump said  "She gets out and she starts asking me all sorts of ridiculous question.  You could see there was blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of her wherever. In my opinion, she was off base."    Direct quote.

Trump launched a vulgar attack against Kelly, saying she was bleeding and that it was disgusting.  That's a paraphrase.

Trump says things like "she's bleeding out of her whatever."  That's also a paraphrase.

(edited)

By Thomas L. Friedman, July 21, 2020

When historians summarize the Trump team’s approach to dealing with the coronavirus, it will take only a few paragraphs:

“As the virus spread, and businesses had to shut down again and schools and universities were paralyzed as to whether to open or stay closed in the fall, Trump’s poll numbers nose-dived. Joe Biden opened up a 15-point lead in a national head-to-head survey.

“So, in a desperate effort to salvage his campaign, Trump turned to the Middle East Dictator’s Official Handbook and found just what he was looking for, the chapter titled, ‘What to Do When Your People Turn Against You?'

“Answer: Turn them against each other and then present yourself as the only source of law and order.”

Edited by kallend

"This is everything I was trying to warn people about,”;  Rebekah Jones, the Florida Department of Health employee who created the state’s coronavirus dashboard and was fired by DeSantis after being labeled an “alarmist” for predicting that the state would suffer 4,000 covid-19 deaths.