5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

4 minutes ago, ryoder said:

But that is no longer a party; It is a cult.

Dog pile on aisle 4!!!!

Come on. Both parties have their share of dumbshits and pockets of cult-like behaviors, but that doesn't make everyone in the party bad. What about Spencer Cox?    

• Like 1

I was reading an article in the NYT Magazine about the future of democracy in the US; the panel included a couple of liberals, a couple of conservatives, and a couple of academics (yes, they tend liberal). The conservatives were just fine with the description of the Republican Party ad being the problem. Not conservatism, not even the party as it used to be, but as it is now. Link For those with access, it’s a good article  

My thought is that the party has discovered a way to increase power; it’s a short-term solution, but the fact that power (like money), tends to follow those who already have it, is enough, and will sustain them. Personally, I think that bypasses the notion that parties should be reflections of the times and people, not drivers.

Wendy P. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Keith,

We have one; it is called the GOP.

Jerry Baumchen

To be fair, there are two republican parties now.  The always-Trumpers and everyone else in the GOP.  Only one can claim the title of "dumbshit party."

• Like 2

(edited)
3 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Dog pile on aisle 4!!!!

Come on. Both parties have their share of dumbshits and pockets of cult-like behaviors, but that doesn't make everyone in the party bad. What about Spencer Cox?    

I guess you didn't enjoy the Republican bloviating today, especially Blackburn, during Jacksons confirmation hearing. Pathetic, racist, moronic, bullshit grandstanding. Yes, them's be your peeps.

Edited by JoeWeber

5 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

I guess you didn't enjoy the Republican bloviating today, especially Blackburn, during Jacksons confirmation hearing.

I had not, Joe. Been limited on the world the past few days, but listened to her (all fookin 9 mins and 46 seconds) and probably wouldn't have until you brought it up - thank you very much.     

The mask mandate on public transportation (including airllines) has been struck down by a federal judge in Florida.  The judge, an avowed Trumpist, was rated "not qualified" by the ABA but was appointed anyway during the lame duck session after the 2020 election.

Well, new cases bottomed out a bit above 29k back on March 22. Up over 88k yesterday (7 day averages).

Triple in less than 2 months. 

Deaths have stayed pretty low. Probably because many (most?) people have some level of immunity. Either vaxxed or because they had it & recovered.

We aren't done with this yet. Or, more accurately, it's not done with us.

Not unlike the old joke about in-flight emergencies.

It's like wrestling with a gorilla. You don't get to decide when you are 'done' with it.
(recently heard this with 'wrestling' replaced by 'sex')

Resurgence here in Ohio.  At Rox's facility 23 of 32 resident tested positive and 8 staff.  No doubt the staff brought it in.  Interesting...the residents who already had covid are fairing much better than the one's who are triple jabbed but never had covid before.  

This variant doesn't seem to care about vaxx status.

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

Resurgence here in Ohio.  At Rox's facility 23 of 32 resident tested positive and 8 staff.  No doubt the staff brought it in.  Interesting...the residents who already had covid are fairing much better than the one's who are triple jabbed but never had covid before.  

She works in a long term care facility? Are the residents elderly?

4 hours ago, airdvr said:

Are the residents who had it before also vaxxed?

I've heard & read that vax plus 'virus developed' immunity is the best. 

5 hours ago, airdvr said:

Isn't triple jabbed a bit out of date by now? Unless you were quite late getting the first two.

• Like 1

(edited)
3 hours ago, headoverheels said:

Isn't triple jabbed a bit out of date by now? Unless you were quite late getting the first two.

If you are over 50yo, you should be getting the 2nd booster by now, i.e. 4 shots in total.

Edited by ryoder

(edited)
On 5/14/2022 at 9:10 PM, JoeWeber said:

Seriously, I was focusing on what, if any, role the residents might have played in the outbreak. 

They don't leave the facility very often.  Most likely a staffer brought it in.

For the most part we're talking about severe DD.  Some are non verbal...all are not really able to function in society.

Edited by airdvr

On 5/14/2022 at 10:56 AM, airdvr said:

Great medical research there. Excellent use of a control group. :p

I would assume that the residents who have had covid before are also vaccinated and boosted. So it is hard to tease out what is conferring the advantage there.

My hypothesis is that a combination of being fully vaccinated and boosted, plus having an mild or asymptomatic infection would result in the best possible immune reaction against the virus. The vaccinations hedge against having a severe infection, and the actual infection gives your immune system a full spectrum view of the virus that you don't get with the targeted spike protein.

I caught covid about a month ago for a coworker. She thought she was having allergies and came in to work, we sit in the same area. Thankfully I was her only close contact at work.

Both of us are vaxxed and boosted, and both were only sick with flu like symptoms for 2 or 3 days. 

So now I am super immune, and have returned to licking produce in the supermarket, and random door knobs. ;)