5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

2 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I didn’t see where the study specified what type of mask was used and how properly it was fitted.  The majority of mask worn in the US are either the blue surgical masks or cloth masks and even many of the N95s are not properly worn.

And I don't see where anything presented could ever change your pre-conceived notions.

7 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I didn’t see where the study specified what type of mask was used and how properly it was fitted.  

Correct.  Thus the study concluded that masks as used by typical Beijing households was protective against SARS-CoV-2.

22 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Man Attempted to Open Emergency Door Mid-Flight in Convoluted Attempt to Protest Vaccines

The captain should have just descended to 8000' MSL, then instructed the cabin crew to help the guy make the exit.

Why 8K? He wasn't doing Crew. Seems to me it was going to be a Free Fly jump.

40 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

And I don't see where anything presented could ever change your pre-conceived notions.

According to the CDC the type and fitting of the mask are critical.  Only a properly fitted N95 (or similar) helps prevent the spread of COVID.  
But I digress.

What I am asking do/did mask mandates work.  If they did we should see a statistically significant difference in COVID in masked vs non-masked communities.  

Edited by brenthutch

1 minute ago, ryoder said:

Fine. Show us video of you opening an emergency exit while the plane is pressurized, and I'll agree with you.

You've got me there. But let me get back home and I'm certain I can supply you with hours of entertaining video of free flyers doing exactly what they were told not to do.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Only a properly fitted N95 (or similar) helps prevent the spread of COVID

Citation, please.

With the premature rollback of mask mandates (according to the CDC aka science), we should see a rebound in cases or at least a flattening of the downward trend in cases.  If we don’t see real world, statistically significant, differences between masked and unmasked, my suspicion that masks were nothing more than a virtue signaling talisman will be confirmed.

Good luck passing peer-review, and don't quit your day job.

Edited by nwt
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

According to the CDC the type and fitting of the mask are critical.  Only a properly fitted N95 (or similar) helps prevent the spread of COVID.  

not true.

23 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

What I am asking do/did mask mandates work.

No you didn't. However, if they are followed they work. If they are not, because people like you think they know everything better, then they don't.

39 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

That is another lie.  The CDC did not say that, nor is it true.

What I am asking do/did mask mandates work.  If they did we should see a statistically significant difference in COVID in masked vs non-masked communities.  

I gave you several examples for you to ignore.

51 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

If masking works and saves lives, why would several Democrat Governors rescind mask mandates, when it will result in many unnecessary deaths?

To be fair; I believe that has been covered in previous posts. They now believe the mandates don't work, the masks work just fine. People will either wear the masks or not, depending on their preference and beliefs. Mandates that were not being effectively enforced were pointless, and these governors have presumably now accepted that.

4 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Fifty thousand deaths a day from covid 

Where do you get that? The chart very clearly says cases, and all reports are that 

1. Omicron is less lethal/severe as well as more contagious
  2. 60+% of the American public is at least vaccinated, if not boosted, reducing the large-population lethality even further

And please let’s not go into a detailed description of chart-reading capabilities. They stand on their own  

Wendy P. 

39 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Deaths are a trailing indicator for the COVID pandemic. Not really the right data point to use determining current restrictions etc.

There are not as many deaths with the current wave. And almost none among the vaccinated. It appears the despite the name of the virus being SARS-CoV-2 the omicron variant only fairly rarely causes SARS. There are far fewer patients needing to be intubated. The next wave could be very different though.

Edited by gowlerk