5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

Which is sad news as he did everything possible to fight the anti-vaxxers. 

Agreed. He was fully vaccinated and boosted. He has been a big proponent for vaccines and personal responsibility in general during this pandemic. Real personal responsibility, not the new age version that translates to "fuck you, I am going to get mine".

8 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

I just visited the Walmart in Fergus falls Minnesota. About half of the customers were wearing masks. That’s more than I’ve seen since they stopped being mandatory. It looks like some people are taking the new surge seriously.

Good!  That will help keep hospital overloading down.

I'm currently in Costa Rica.  To be admitted we had to show proof of full vaccination.  The full vaccination rate is 8% higher than in the USA.  I have yet to see a single person in a store or business who is not masked up. 

The Costa Ricans don't seem to be whining about infringement on their freedoms.  Just being sensible.

83% of the CR population lives in urban areas, which are pretty densely populated.  

Yet the COVID death rate per capita in CR is 58% of that in the USA.

9 minutes ago, kallend said:

And per the VAERS database, one guy had his penis double in size by getting the vaccine!  And since that's an official government database, you know he's not lying.

8 hours ago, billvon said:

VAERS database, one guy had his penis double in size

I just had to look that up and this was first:

"Meanwhile, at the other end of the spectrum, the funniest report I saw stated, “My penis swelled to ten times its size.”

It is easy for an anti-vaccine activist—someone who is categorically opposed to vaccines and who sees themselves as a hero saving humanity from a costly mistake—to simply cherry-pick scary VAERS reports and present them as proof that a vaccine is known to cause serious harm and death, a tactic we could call “VAERS scare.” VAERS, when utilized in the right way by the right people, can be a fantastic early warning system to detect vaccine adverse reactions, especially those that were too rare to be detected in the clinical trials that preceded approval of the vaccine.

It is a tool and like any tool it can unfortunately be misused."

SOURCE: https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/covid-19-critical-thinking-health/dont-fall-vaers-scare-tactic

I guess my issue with weaponizing VAERS is the cost of data integrity both in time and in lives. Perhaps it's time for VAERS to be changed to a physician-only DB.   

(edited)
1 hour ago, BIGUN said:

I just had to look that up and this was first:...

"Meanwhile, at the other end of the spectrum, the funniest report I saw stated, “My penis swelled to ten times its size.” 

Perhaps it was his vision that was effected?

Edited by Phil1111

1 hour ago, BIGUN said:

...I guess my issue with weaponizing VAERS is the cost of data integrity both in time and in lives. Perhaps it's time for VAERS to be changed to a physician-only DB.   

There is a section of VAERS that's limited in who can report and access it.

Also, the site itself contains a pretty clear disclaimer:

While very important in monitoring vaccine safety, VAERS reports alone cannot be used to determine if a vaccine caused or contributed to an adverse event or illness. The reports may contain information that is incomplete, inaccurate, coincidental, or unverifiable. In large part, reports to VAERS are voluntary, which means they are subject to biases. This creates specific limitations on how the data can be used scientifically. Data from VAERS reports should always be interpreted with these limitations in mind.

The strengths of VAERS are that it is national in scope and can quickly provide an early warning of a safety problem with a vaccine.

Link:https://vaers.hhs.gov/data.html

The people who monitor the site for real issues understand this and are doing a good job of separating the 'wheat from the chaff'.

Fools who want to push an agenda misuse the data to convince other fools that the vax is dangerous.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Also, the site itself contains a pretty clear disclaimer:

People don't read anything anymore unless its been pushed to them in the form of a meme on fuckbook. Course, we might be able to get 100% vaccinated is there was a facebook meme, "Want a ten inch dick, get the vaccine!!!" You'll be proud and so will she!! No pumps, no pills, just your own natural ten inch self!! </smartass mode> 

12 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

People don't read anything anymore unless its been pushed to them in the form of a meme on fuckbook. Course, we might be able to get 100% vaccinated is there was a facebook meme, "Want a ten inch dick, get the vaccine!!!" You'll be proud and so will she!! No pumps, no pills, just your own natural ten inch self!! </smartass mode> 

I'd restrict that to 'some people'. 

Lots of intelligent people read the meme, ask 'is that true?' and then do some quick fact checking (you know, there's this thing that allows you to look up information really easily and quickly).

Dumbasses read the meme, say to themselves "I like that, I agree with it, it must be TRUE!!!!!"

Or they do a quick search, find stuff like OAN, WMD, Western Journal, Epoch Times that all reinforce the stupidity and go with it.

Those are the people that say 'look how many deaths are caused by the vaccine!!!!'
Those same people would look at the claims of larger penises and say (correctly) that it's not true.

9 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

I'd like to agree, but my experience has been, "Most."

I'd say most, but not all about the same things. Joe is very taken with the penis enhancement issue, so he'll go there; others will believe anything that disses Trump, others will believe anything that makes Biden sound senile, and others will believe anything about space aliens.

Those biases are exactly what we should question most in ourselves. Because remember you can't prove many things, you can only prove they're not universally true.

Wendy P.

On 2/27/2020 at 2:47 PM, kallend said:

I was the only kid in my class who didn't get "Asian Flu" in the 1957 pandemic.

I didn't get "Hong Kong Flu" in 1968 pandemic.

I didn't get Russian Flu in 1977 pandemic.

I didn't get H1N1 pdm09 in 2009 pandemic.

I've never had seasonal flu.

But my wife the MD now makes me get a flu shot anyway despite never having had the flu.

I got the Salk vaccine and got Polio.

I got the Smallpox vaccine and got symptomatic Smallpox.

A 'mild' case of either Polio or Smallpox beats the shit out of the full-blown disease, and I get vaccinated against pretty much anything that I can.

• Like 1