5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

Great conversation you folks are having here. I appreciate how much this titillating back and forth is adding to the discussion. It was only a few months ago that I thought that contributions from our resident immunologist Westerly couldn't be toped, but here you all go raising the bar.

3 minutes ago, DougH said:

Great conversation you folks are having here. I appreciate how much this titillating back and forth is adding to the discussion. It was only a few months ago that I thought that contributions from our resident immunologist Westerly couldn't be toped, but here you all go raising the bar.

Hey, I posted a link to a classic song by The Who. I tried to break it up. This is only one of the threads that have gone off the rails completely. Say, what about the upcoming Australian Open? That looks like it could be a classic!

53 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

This is only one of the threads that have gone off the rails completely.

And you get credit for the other one by saying  "Tell me about all the Christian values and how they form the core of the Republican Party policies"  in a thread about the 2nd amendment.

And speaking of vaccine mandates, next week the exemption for essential workers crossing the Canada/US border will end. Unvaccinated Canadian truck drivers returning will need to be tested and then quarantine. Unvaccinated American drivers will be refused. The following week the US side will refuse unvaccinated Canadians. 

The trucking industry is of course claiming that this will be a disaster for transportation as about 10% of Canadian drivers are resisting. The company I work for has just initiated a 10 cent per mile increase in pay for all of my US miles. Somehow this is supposed to be an incentive I suppose. I'm guessing that in the end it will be much ado about nothing.

4 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Só — is this picture with no commentary an admission that you were trolling???

Wendy P. 

No, it is a visual representation of what happens to Olof when I post.  BTW is there a NAZI exemption when it comes to trolling?

“I said trolling nazis was fun” Olof 

If I were as insecure as some others I'd be loving all this attention on me right now :rofl: 

But anyway, yet another attempt to get back on-topic:

Coming back from the holidays, several people I know caught omicron - every single one of them double jabbed and boosted. Close call for me as I had contact with them just before they fell ill.

Not serious, but here's hoping that the mRNA vaccines are updated for omicron sooner rather than later.

32 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

BTW is there a NAZI exemption when it comes to trolling?

I know you're not the quickest on the uptake, but this was more than a year ago.

And suure, I just keep falling for your clever plans - "maths and scotch don't mix", "didn't look into it deeply it was just a quick google", basically shining a light on your BS was all part of your plan right? I shall continue playing my part then ;)

• Like 1

CUT IT OUT. Who wants a timeout?

BTW, I read recently that Omicron is about 70 times as contagious/effective as the original COVID-19. Which means that if 1000 copies of the virus was required to reliably infect you in the past (another little tidbit I read during mask debates), then it'll take 14 to likely infect you with Omicron. 14 little virii isn't a whole lot...

Wendy P.

11 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Omicron is about 70 times as contagious/effective as the original COVID-19

70? That's bad...if it was 50% less likely to cause hospitalisation like all the news outlets were saying some time ago, then if it was 2x more contagious the health care system would be in exactly the same place.

More than that, and the health care system could get overwhelmed. 70 is quite a lot more...

12 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

CUT IT OUT. Who wants a timeout?

BTW, I read recently that Omicron is about 70 times as contagious/effective as the original COVID-19. Which means that if 1000 copies of the virus was required to reliably infect you in the past (another little tidbit I read during mask debates), then it'll take 14 to likely infect you with Omicron. 14 little virii isn't a whole lot...

Wendy P.

Where did you see that?  From what I've seen it's about 4x as infectious as the original strain and 2x as infectious as Delta, and antibodies due to booster shots are 4-6 times less likely to neutralize the virus.  It does multiply 70 times faster, but that has to do with time from infection to infectiousness (and then symptoms) rather than inoculum required to cause an infection to begin with.

I have a feeling what might have happened is that the HKU study came out and some science reporter conflated reproduction speed with infectiousness.

https://www.med.hku.hk/en/news/press/20211215-omicron-sars-cov-2-infection?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=press_release

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.12.14.21267755v1/

19 minutes ago, olofscience said:

70? That's bad...if it was 50% less likely to cause hospitalisation like all the news outlets were saying some time ago, then if it was 2x more contagious the health care system would be in exactly the same place.

More than that, and the health care system could get overwhelmed. 70 is quite a lot more...

Hi olof,

Basically, do not get sick of anything in Oregon:   the Oregon Health Authority has developed a triage tool — to help hospitals make decisions about care if or when resources become limited

Oregon responds to an ‘alarming spike’ in COVID-19 cases - OPB

Jerry Baumchen

(edited)
21 minutes ago, billvon said:

Where did you see that?

When I look at this it is hard to find any real hard data. Or stories in trustworthy places that are not more than a couple weeks old. Which may as well be last year! But NPR did have a story using information about 10 days old.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2021/12/31/1067702355/omicron-is-spreading-like-wildfire-scientists-are-trying-to-figure-out-why

Researchers compared the spread of omicron and of delta among members of the same household and concluded that omicron is about 2.7 to 3.7 times more infectious than the delta variant among vaccinated and boosted individuals.

But here's an interesting additional point: For unvaccinated people, there was no significant difference in rates of infection between delta and omicron. That would indicate that both variants are about at the same level of transmissibility among the unvaccinated. In other words, under those circumstances, omicron is not necessarily more transmissible than delta.

I believe that part of the reason for the huge numbers is the two fold effect of vaccines not being as effective against it and society no longer being as careful because we have somewhat decided that those who won't get vaccinated are just going to have to live with it now.

Edited by gowlerk

1 hour ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

When someone gets Covid, they are told to self-isolate.  I'm not so sure that this is what they meant:  Texas teacher 'locked Covid-positive son in car boot' - BBC News

Jerry Baumchen

Oh relax. It's a language thing. She probably thought the CDC recommended that all ya'll protect yourselves and get Booted.

(edited)
19 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:
On 1/8/2022 at 10:41 AM, Coreece said:

right, that was your second violation in that thread.

Didn't you spend 5 pages in another tread being all upset about somebody not quoting you directly?

1. It's not about direct quoting.  It's about selectively quoting something in a way that completely changes the intended meaning.  It's like saying "I like apples and oranges," and then someone selectively quotes "I like apples" and then says "ok, but why do you hate oranges?"

2. Olof already admitted it again, so there is no reason to quote it.

3.  The original post was deleted by a moderator.

4.  I directly quoted it before it was deleted:

https://www.dropzone.com/forums/topic/268840-trump-must-go/?do=findComment&comment=4907025

There.

Edited by Coreece

2 hours ago, Coreece said:

1. It's not about direct quoting.  It's about selectively quoting something in a way that completely changes the intended meaning.  It's like saying "I like apples and oranges," and then someone selectively quotes "I like apples" and then says "ok, but why do you hate oranges?"

Then aren't you doing it again?

Even your link shows half of my full statement - and that's all you've latched on to.

And I didn't even say I was referring to YOU, but it seems your feelings were really, really hurt to nurse it for this long.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, olofscience said:
2 hours ago, Coreece said:

Then aren't you doing it again?

No, I quoted the part where you said it was so much fun trolling, and you agreed.