5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

5 hours ago, headoverheels said:

I've never had a medical insurance plan (and medical insurance is what we are talking about) which excluded or charged extra for skydiving.  I have seen that on some life insurance plans (maybe even most plans), but my professional organization's policy didn't.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far, away, I worked as an insurance agent. (This was prior to college). In general, if you get into a group plan, you won't see many exclusions. If you buy an individual policy, you should expect them.

• Like 1

All three National Geographic ships out over Christmas (mine included) had a COVID case. Everyone comes in vaccinated, tested, retested by the company, and masked while on the ship.
Our case was asymptomatic in a fairly elderly man. It was caught by the mid-trip tests and confirmed via PCR. Everyone in his bubble (including dinner table mates the night before) were tested daily after that, issued N95 masks, and bubbled at a separate table for dinner and in the lounge. The positive patient was moved to another room and served there the rest of the trip. He left the boat separately and is being quarantined in Argentina. 
We were on the ship an additional 7 days or so — plenty for anyone else to turn up positive (everyone else was tested twice more in those 7 days — once for security, and once for the trip back). No one, including either his family bubble nor the dinner bubble, tested positive. And the family/dinner bubble frankly looked like they were having a great time, and they missed no hikes or outings. 
All that protocol stuff works. No one else on any of the cruise ships caught an excruciatingly transmissible disease. Definitely not ours, and according to what I heard not on the others either. 
I really, really, hope that the vaccine is as protective against serious disease as it seems so far. Because this latest variant appears to be just about the most transmissible thing since who knows what. 

Wendy P. 

29 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Because this latest variant appears to be just about the most transmissible thing since who knows what. 

They are saying measles. I'm fairly certain that the almost all of the population in Canada and certainly the US will have been infected before spring. It is still unknown what the exact consequence of that will be.

1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

All three National Geographic ships out over Christmas (mine included) had a COVID case. Everyone comes in vaccinated, tested, retested by the company, and masked while on the ship.

Wendy P. 

Really?  We were on the NG Explorer Nov18 - Dec10  and had no cases.  The testing requirements seemed pretty robust.

On 1/1/2022 at 9:28 AM, wmw999 said:

Our case was asymptomatic in a fairly elderly man. It was caught by the mid-trip tests and confirmed via PCR. Everyone in his bubble (including dinner table mates the night before) were tested daily after that, issued N95 masks, and bubbled at a separate table for dinner and in the lounge. The positive patient was moved to another room and served there the rest of the trip. He left the boat separately and is being quarantined in Argentina. 
We were on the ship an additional 7 days or so — plenty for anyone else to turn up positive (everyone else was tested twice more in those 7 days — once for security, and once for the trip back). No one, including either his family bubble nor the dinner bubble, tested positive. And the family/dinner bubble frankly looked like they were having a great time, and they missed no hikes or outings. 
All that protocol stuff works. No one else on any of the cruise ships caught an excruciatingly transmissible disease. Definitely not ours, and according to what I heard not on the others either. 
I really, really, hope that the vaccine is as protective against serious disease as it seems so far. Because this latest variant appears to be just about the most transmissible thing since who knows what. 

Wendy P. 

Hi Wendy,

A little update:  Coronavirus pandemic: Antarctic outpost hit by Covid-19 outbreak - BBC News

Jerry Baumchen

On 12/24/2021 at 4:36 AM, billvon said:

I'd be fine with recognizing a recent antibody test on an equal footing with vaccination.  (You can't really do "prior infection" because every anti-vaxxer out there will lie about that.)

Actually, in the Netherlands at least, the "prior infection and cured" certificate is issued by the government after they test you positive and after you are considered cured (14 days after the initial positive test). 

There is a considerable amount of fraud and non-compliance since the certificate is checked via a government-developed and -issued app. But at least you cannot just lie about it; you have to try a little harder.

• Like 1

46 year old anti vaxxer in good health dies from Covid, after recently speaking out against vaccine mandates at a Turning Point USA rally.   Anti vax-mandate wasn't new to her, as she had advocated against vaccine mandates for school children before Covid19 came on the scene.

https://www.ocregister.com/2022/01/04/husband-kelly-ernby-wasnt-vaccinated-when-she-died-of-covid-19-complications/

Interesting interview and article. The doctor has treated more than 4,000 COVID patients with only five requiring hospital care, and no deaths. The article discusses treatments that he has used with great success. He discusses the effectiveness of using hydrogen peroxide as an oral and nasal flush.

"I think the most important thing to realize is that what we are hearing in the legacy media or mainstream media is oftentimes incorrect and it doesn't reflect the reality on the ground. Physicians all over the world have been seeing COVID patients since the beginning including Omicron patients and treating them very effectively with off labeled medications with vitamins supplements..."

"We need to get away from taking this top down approach to medicine, and top down approach to pandemic response. A government should not be in charge of a pandemic, it should be the doctors in the country that are in charge of developing a pandemic response that really makes sense from a medical point of view and not a political point of view."

https://www.theepochtimes.com/frontline-doctor-highlights-his-preferred-covid-19-treatments_4192746.html?utm_source=News&utm_campaign=breaking-2022-01-04-4&utm_medium=email&est=yDuA6pFja1dPq6WqzrFfvGUr30D4XkeFYktOdTea15kUd9iZUCCyUG2V7Dc%3D

This is a big world. If you’re looking at something you can probably find it. However, when possible it’s generally better to adjust to what’s available. 
One can find black grains of sand on Florida beaches, and white ones on the volcanic beaches of Hawaii. But they're sure overwhelmed by everything else. 
Wendy P. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wmw999 said:

This is a big world. If you’re looking at something you can probably find it. However, when possible it’s generally better to adjust to what’s available. 
One can find black grains of sand on Florida beaches, and white ones on the volcanic beaches of Hawaii. But they're sure overwhelmed by everything else. 
Wendy P. 

In a sense this it true, but the conclusions one reaches are typically predicated upon how the question is phrased.

Oliver Sacks came across some work that was done in the early 20th century, and was puzzled by the fact that there was no mention of the syndrome after the teens.  Going to lunch, he came across rather a few people on the streets of Manhattan who displayed the symptoms described in Dr. Tourette's work.

His conclusion was that in 1914 the medical establishment in Europe became overwhelmed by the carnage of the Great War, and many of the developments that immediately preceded the conflict were largely forgotten by the time it was over.

At about the same time Siemens was investigating some copper oxide devices, and gave up in frustration around 1912 when they hit a wall due to nonlinearities they could not eliminate.  A researcher coming across their work concluded that they had, in fact, produced a transistor and didn't know what they had.   In all fairness, the triode tube was not patented until 1914 by R. H. Goddard, so there was scant familiarity with electronic amplifiers.

In any event, once a discover has been made it often becomes apparent that the solution was staring you in the face all along.

BSBD,

Winsor

52 minutes ago, billeisele said:

The doctor has treated more than 4,000 COVID patients with only five requiring hospital care, and no deaths. The article discusses treatments that he has used with great success. He discusses the effectiveness of using hydrogen peroxide as an oral and nasal flush.

Have you not already learned your lesson on this? 

• Like 1