5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

4 hours ago, headoverheels said:

In 2020 the unnecessary deaths in the USA were due to the crummy health care system and Trump's delaying and denial:
https://ncdp.columbia.edu/custom-content/uploads/2020/10/Avoidable-COVID-19-Deaths-US-NCDP.pdf

Now the unnecessary deaths are due to crass stupidity on the part of people like this "fallen brother".

LA Times, DEC. 24, 2021 5 AM PT

COLTON — 

Nine patients awaited their fate in an intensive care unit at the Arrowhead Regional Medical Center.

The youngest was 26, the oldest 66. Four of them had already been intubated, a last-ditch effort to save their lives. Inside fourth-floor rooms bare of decor, they lay alone in the dark, flat on their belly and sedated because the pain of the tube running down their throat would be too great otherwise.

. . . .

“It’s definitely frustrating, especially when now the vaccine makes it almost preventable to be in this state,” said ICU charge nurse Beth Koelliker, gesturing at the rooms behind her. On a recent Sunday, three people died.

The needlessness of it all, demoralizing.

“Patients are still dying at an alarming rate, all unvaccinated,” she said. “They haven’t stopped dying for two years. It’s hard to deal with that for so long.”

. . .

In San Bernardino County, only 59% of residents of all ages have received at least one dose of vaccine. The mortality rate among the unvaccinated in the county is nearly 10 times higher than for those who are fully vaccinated, according to county data.

“It is a wake-up call for those still remaining unvaccinated, or those who have not yet gotten their boosters who are eligible to do so,” said Dr. Robert Kim-Farley, an epidemiologist and infectious-diseases expert at the UCLA Fielding School of Public Health. “The severe hospitalizations and deaths that are occurring now are virtually all preventable, had people simply gotten the vaccine.”

. . .

As Koelliker ran through the ages of each patient — in their 60s, 50s, 40s and 20s — it illustrated another trend that healthcare workers in the county have seen in the last six months: Patients are younger than they were at the beginning of the pandemic.

“Patients are still dying at an alarming rate, all unvaccinated. They haven’t stopped dying for two years. It’s hard to deal with that for so long.”

. . .

Koelliker recalled the patients who had died. One was a newlywed who had just married a week prior. There was a mother and son. A patient with a newborn.

The three who died on Sunday had all been unvaccinated, Koelliker said. By the time they had reached the ICU, it was too late for the vaccine to offer them any hope.

Although some patients voice regret about not getting vaccinated, others are adamant that they still won’t do so, Koelliker said.

She expressed frustration that members of her own family have also resisted getting vaccinated.

“I can see it here with my own eyes,” Koelliker said. “We’re still having patients die on us.”

“If they could see what we see,” Hernandez said.

19 hours ago, billeisele said:

Back to my main comment - It seems that we should be recognizing prior infection on an equal footing with vaccination.

I think that depends on how you define vaccination. If by vaccination you mean two shots, then it seems that prior infection is similar to double vaccination and really doesn't provide too much protection. 

If by vaccination you mean double + booster, then it does not seem to compare when it comes to the Omicron variant.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/232698/omicron-largely-evades-immunity-from-past/

2 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

I think that depends on how you define vaccination. If by vaccination you mean two shots, then it seems that prior infection is similar to double vaccination and really doesn't provide too much protection. 

If by vaccination you mean double + booster, then it does not seem to compare when it comes to the Omicron variant.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/232698/omicron-largely-evades-immunity-from-past/

Thanks for the link and accurate summary. Clearly there is more to learn.

20 minutes ago, billvon said:

That's happened to me.

Where I live everyone wears masks in stores or other indoor public spaces. Complaining about it ended months ago, it is no longer an issue. But I must admit, when I am elsewhere I just do what the locals do. If employees are masked I am as well. Otherwise, what's the point?

Edited by gowlerk

19 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Otherwise, what's the point?

Masks still work both ways if you are wearing them.  (i.e. if you're sick you reduce the odds of making other people sick, and if THEY are sick it reduces your odds of becoming infected.)  At that point we had two unvaccinated kids with us so we were doing everything we could to protect them.  Even when picking up takeout in a roadhouse in Montana.

• Like 2

On 12/24/2021 at 5:11 PM, billeisele said:

Thanks for the link and accurate summary. Clearly there is more to learn.

There's a lot more to learn. 

This is a virus that hadn't been seen before it appeared two years ago.

BUT (and it's an important 'but'), there's a lot about viruses in general that we DO know.

And we've learned a lot about Covid-19 in the past two years, including how to create a vaccine to help prevent it (not perfectly, but no vax is).

The part that's infuriating is how many people simply refuse to believe it.

They pretend it's a 'hoax'.
Or that the vax is killing people.

Or that they won't get it.
Or if they do get it, it will be 'just like the flu'. 

So many of them have wrapped up their 'tribal identity' (political views) in it.

The unvaxed are dying by the thousands.
Something like 80% of them are Trump supporters.

If they weren't overloading the health care system I really wouldn't care (regardless of their political alignments). 
If they want to risk dying because of their idiocy, that's on them.

But they're filling the hospitals.
To the point that other people, people with legitimate health issues, people that DID take proper precautions, get vaxed, ect are being denied care because of the morons. 

• Like 3

I'm going to let you in on a secret. After they inject that "vaccine" in your arm while you are not looking they pull back on the plunger. Why? Because that's how they remove your freedom from you. Don't tell anyone I told you.

Edited by gowlerk

On 12/23/2021 at 4:57 PM, gowlerk said:

I will note that even Donald Trump, famously infected with the virus has been triple vaccinated since then and encourages others to do the same.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/23/politics/trump-vaccine-covid-effectiveness/index.html

I expect someone finally told him that his supporters are dying at 10x the rate of Biden's supporters.

3 hours ago, kallend said:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/23/politics/trump-vaccine-covid-effectiveness/index.html

I expect someone finally told him that his supporters are dying at 10x the rate of Biden's supporters.

I have it from inside sources that trump's accountant told him donations to trumps personal charities has been drying up.

Hi folks,

Were any of you planning on attending the 2022 Winter Olympics?

China tightens its already strict COVID-19 travel restrictions in the face of a growing outbreak in the city of Xi’an and ahead of the Winter Olympics

Delta flight en route to Shanghai turns back to Seattle as China tightens pandemic travel restrictions - oregonlive.com

Jerry Baumchen

I think we're quickly approaching a time where we must acknowledge that Covid will be with us for a long time, if not forever. If you're concerned about it killing you there is enough info out there to educate yourself on how to avoid contracting it...basically shelter in place and get vaxxed.  If you choose to disregard that info then all bets are off.

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

I think we're quickly approaching a time where we must acknowledge that Covid will be with us for a long time, if not forever.

Yep.  The goal is to get us to a place where most people are immune _enough_ to the most recent strain that hospitals are not overloaded, and death rates drop to flu-like levels.  Paxlovid will help with that a lot, as will universal vaccination.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billvon said:

Yep.  The goal is to get us to a place where most people are immune _enough_ to the most recent strain that hospitals are not overloaded, and death rates drop to flu-like levels.  Paxlovid will help with that a lot, as will universal vaccination.

And it may just go a long way to solving the social security and nursing home problems.

2 hours ago, airdvr said:

I think we're quickly approaching a time where we must acknowledge that Covid will be with us for a long time, if not forever. If you're concerned about it killing you there is enough info out there to educate yourself on how to avoid contracting it...basically shelter in place and get vaxxed.  If you choose to disregard that info then all bets are off.

Brother, that ain't news. Endemic has always been the end game. Might be we've caught a break with Omicron, it being more contagious and less deadly. If that gets us to <Re 1 I'm a happy camper. We'll never convince the deluded many to get vaccinated and we don't have the balls to lock them out of normal life so just maybe it's nature to the rescue.

• Like 1