5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

1 hour ago, billvon said:

It does indeed.  In travel, it is called the TSA.  A friend of mine was once stopped from boarding a plane due to a container of soup he had.

In terms of participating in society, we have a lot of rules like that.  One is laws that require clothing in public places, including restaurants.  Another is the laws that prevent driving while intoxicated.  (You can, of course, take a DWI arrest to court.  But under no conditions will police allow you to drive drunk if they can stop it.)

Your comparison doesn’t make sense. The TSA isn’t telling anyone to engage in a specific medical action or else be barred from boarding an airplane/bus/train/subway etc. 

If the government wanted max participation in vaccination, the mandates were a pretty bad idea. Tying a citizen’s ability to buy, sell, or trade to whether or not they decided to get vaccinated would be an even bigger mistake. Fortunately I don’t think that’s likely to happen here.

2 minutes ago, millertimeunc said:

If the government wanted max participation in vaccination, the mandates were a pretty bad idea.

It seems to be working. Whenever I see an article about a company firing vax refusers, it seems to only be around 1% of their workforce.

57 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Money is constitutionally protected?

You objected to vaccine requirements for air travel as a framework to prevent freedom. Was wondering how a homeless vaccinated person was free to take that flight across the country?

In fairness, we southerners don't really grasp what is in our Constitution, the downstream effect of our Supreme Court decisions, why it's impossible to disconnect local, state and national policies based on personal interests, or why the currently popular deity might not look like your neighbor with long hair in a few years. Now what we do understand is what we are told by anyone who say's anything we want to hear. And that is why we are opposed to unvaccinated people being denied airplane travel but thrilled that pregnant people are advantaged by giving birth to more citizens who can open carry.

1 hour ago, nwt said:

It seems to be working. Whenever I see an article about a company firing vax refusers, it seems to only be around 1% of their workforce.

Sure worked in Italy and France. Even Canada where current deaths are running 19 a day. While the US with 8.7 times the population is at 1296 a day. Oh well, freedom has a price.

1 hour ago, millertimeunc said:

Your comparison doesn’t make sense. The TSA isn’t telling anyone to engage in a specific medical action or else be barred from boarding an airplane/bus/train/subway etc. 

"Walk through this Xray scanner if you want to fly.  Don't want to get scanned?  You can't fly.  Even if you think that Xrays are dangerous."

If the government wanted max participation in vaccination, the mandates were a pretty bad idea. 

Because people voluntarily do what's best for other people?  Really?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, billvon said:

"Walk through this Xray scanner if you want to fly.  Don't want to get scanned?  You can't fly.  Even if you think that Xrays are dangerous."

Because people voluntarily do what's best for other people?  Really?

I thought they didn’t use x-rays but instead millimeter radio waves for the full body scans.

48 minutes ago, murps2000 said:

I thought they didn’t use x-rays but instead millimeter radio waves for the full body scans.

There are two systems out there - millimeter wave and X-ray backscatter.  Both are in common use.

The benefit of the X-ray systems is that they are far lower dose than transmissive X-rays, since they rely on reflections rather than penetration to generate images.  However, if you are of a certain mindset, it doesn't matter; you have heard it's bad from Alex Jones and that's the final word.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backscatter_X-ray

16 hours ago, millertimeunc said:

Your comparison doesn’t make sense.

Lots of things don't make sense.

Why does the "land of the free" have the world's largest prison population and highest incarceration rate?

Why did the author of "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal"  own dozens of slaves, including at least one sex slave?

Why are so many in "the home of the brave" afraid of getting vaccinated?

9 minutes ago, kallend said:

Why are so many in "the home of the brave" afraid of getting vaccinated?

Where was the outrage when they started the anti-vaxx movement. 

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/celebrities-anti-vaxxers-jessica-biel-847779/

Please don't get me wrong - I am pro any vaccine that protects the rest of society. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Where was the outrage when they started the anti-vaxx movement. 

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/celebrities-anti-vaxxers-jessica-biel-847779/

Please don't get me wrong - I am pro any vaccine that protects the rest of society. 

Yes, this is a very weird thing. Anti-vaxxers in my lifetime have not been the sort of people who are now refusing. These are very entitled people who have decided that even the very small risk of a vaccine is not for them or their children no matter what the potential cost to society of waning herd immunity. The current movement is made up mostly of people who have all their other shots, they have just been convinced that their is some conspiracy or another at play now.

Edited by gowlerk
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Yes, this is a very weird thing. Anti-vaxxers in my lifetime have not been the sort of people who are now refusing. 

Yes, I still remember when all the anti-vaxxers were the yoga-practicing, granola-eating treehuggers like you find here in Boulder. I even watched a documentary just a few years ago about disease and one the intertwined stories was a classic mother just like that. (Wish I could remember the name). Back then the anti-vaxxers were at the opposite end of the political spectrum from now.

And this was from the S1E2 episode of "House" in 2004:

Edited by ryoder
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

The current movement is made up mostly of people who have all their other shots, they have just been convinced that their is some conspiracy or another at play now.

It is virtue signaling to make sure everyone knows that you are a full fledged member of the death cult.

Edited by DougH

24 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Back then the anti-vaxxers were at the opposite end of the political spectrum from now.

How do you know that still isn't the case?  There must be some subset of the left's anti-vaxxers.

Consider that those same people would probably never admit their true feelings about the C19 vax.

Just now, airdvr said:

How do you know that still isn't the case?  There must be some subset of the left's anti-vaxxers.

Consider that those same people would probably never admit their true feelings about the C19 vax.

Yes, you are correct. It is a complicated mix of different motivations for different people. But there is a surprising shift as well.

2 hours ago, airdvr said:

I am sure there are, just as there are some remaining democrats who favor racist zoning laws and oppose immigration.  But ever since Trump co-opted the anti-vax position, the republicans have rallied around it 100%.  Tennessee, for example, just outlawed vaccine outreach programs for kids.  Not just for the COVID vaccine - for ALL vaccines.  The best possible interpretation of that action is they wish to show their loyalty to the GOP in hopes that they will be rewarded with votes.

It is worth noting that many GOPers are not, at heart, anti-vaxxers.  But their party is, and GOPers are, to a much greater degree than democrats, monolithic in position.

9 hours ago, ryoder said:

Yes, I still remember when all the anti-vaxxers were the yoga-practicing, granola-eating treehuggers like you find here in Boulder. I even watched a documentary just a few years ago about disease and one the intertwined stories was a classic mother just like that. (Wish I could remember the name). Back then the anti-vaxxers were at the opposite end of the political spectrum from now.

And this was from the S1E2 episode of "House" in 2004:

Arrghhh. Before I took to burning hydrocarbons for a living I was a no shit tree hugging, granola eating, save the world asshole. I simply don't recall that anti-vaxxing was ever discussed when the topics were mostly focused on, and I was always and still am virulently opposed to, the flammability of certain types of equipment. But, I forgive you because you turned me on to using sandwich makers gloves when working on greasy stuff.