5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

3 hours ago, Baksteen said:

Yes, I agree that Muad'Dib would have gotten his arse kicked at the Shield Wall if the Harkonnen and Sardaukar would have had access to ivermectin.

Otherwise I do not know where that tweet is going.

Read the article.  Particularly well done.

7 hours ago, Baksteen said:

Yes, I agree that Muad'Dib would have gotten his arse kicked at the Shield Wall if the Harkonnen and Sardaukar would have had access to ivermectin.

I don’t know how to summarize it any better than the tweet. What don’t you get?

16 hours ago, Baksteen said:

Ivermectin is most frequently touted as having done fantastic work in treating Covid in India, a country where the population is going to have a higher rate of parasitic worms. It may be that instead of Ivermectin actually being specifically a good Covid treatment, it just did what it's designed to do (kill the worms) and reduced strain on the patients immune systems to give them a better chance of survival.

Which would confirm why it's not turning out consistently as a great treatment for any general population it's applied to.

16 minutes ago, mistercwood said:

Which would confirm why it's not turning out consistently as a great treatment for any general population it's applied to.

And why so many studies show no effect at all.  In populations that are already de-wormed, there's no benefit.

At the beginning of the pandemic I noted that the laser focus on a vaccine was brilliant, and that we could expect an effective vaccine as rapidly as the one for HIV, or the Corona Virus Common Cold at the very least.

It is important that we focus on the Civilized part of the world, since it is our duty to look out for (offensive term removed) - who really don't bring much to the party.

Outliers like Africa should be largely ignored:

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-science-health-pandemics-united-nations-fcf28a83c9352a67e50aa2172eb01a2f

since whatever happens there is but an artifact in the grand scheme of things.

Luckily, there are Civilized countries whose vaccination rates put us well into the 'herd immunity' range, so we're pretty much in the clear.

I'm glad that's over.

BSBD,

Winsor

Edited by wmw999
Offensive term.

44 minutes ago, winsor said:

since whatever happens there is but an artifact in the grand scheme of things.

Whatever happens to any of us, or even the whole damned planet can be thought of that way. But I wonder, are you going to turn straight into a troll now?

23 hours ago, winsor said:

That study, "must be flawed", "it can't be correct", "someone is trying to undermine our successes", etc. If the science doesn't fit the narrative then the science is wrong. Right?

Holiday week report:

Normalized data on # of new cases reported per 100,000. First number is a month ago, second number is Nov 7, third is Nov 21, and the trend over that period. The source is CDC. https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#compare-trends

FL - 10.2, 7.2, 7.2      steady

SC - 20.7, 12.7, 9.2    down

CA - 13.9, 16.2, 10.8   down

CT - 12.6, 10, 20.7      up

IL - 16.4, 19.7, 31.9     up

NY - 28.9, 29.5, 46.5    up

Legend

image.png.f5393735e3762273f2108cd4106a628d.png

Daily case data graphs

image.png.f349c8d9fc9fded484f227555503632d.png

Cumulative Data

image.png.d5a3a60ee61fbefe837a4b74d0d09082.png

Edited by billeisele
added info

43 minutes ago, billeisele said:

That study, "must be flawed", "it can't be correct", "someone is trying to undermine our successes", etc. If the science doesn't fit the narrative then the science is wrong. Right?

The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!) but “That’s funny …”
— Isaac Asimov

50 minutes ago, billeisele said:

That article is long on opinion and short on detail. But that aside I will just say that vaccination does not prevent infection. It does  give the body a head start on clearing the infection. I am vaccinated and am getting a booster in a few days as I have reached the 6 month mark. But even so I fully expect that sooner or later I will be exposed to and infected by the virus. Most likely I will get sick enough to be tested and become one of the numbers in the "break through" infection population. But I will have only a very small chance of being hospitalized for it. That has always been the goal. Not to get very sick. We will all get infected by this thing eventually. 

Where I live new infections are now about 50/50 between vaccinated and unvaccinated people. But almost all the portion of people in the hospital are either unvaccinated or have other conditions that weaken them. The vaccines are saving lives and are also saving people from long covid which in the long term may be even more important. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

That article is long on opinion and short on detail. But that aside I will just say that vaccination does not prevent infection. It does  give the body a head start on clearing the infection. I am vaccinated and am getting a booster in a few days as I have reached the 6 month mark. But even so I fully expect that sooner or later I will be exposed to and infected by the virus. Most likely I will get sick enough to be tested and become one of the numbers in the "break through" infection population. But I will have only a very small chance of being hospitalized for it. That has always been the goal. Not to get very sick. We will all get infected by this thing eventually. 

Where I live new infections are now about 50/50 between vaccinated and unvaccinated people. But almost all the portion of people in the hospital are either unvaccinated or have other conditions that weaken them. The vaccines are saving lives and are also saving people from long covid which in the long term may be even more important. 

also, consider the source. the homepage of that site is a hot mess.

2 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Where I live new infections are now about 50/50 between vaccinated and unvaccinated people.

When 100% of the population is vaccinated, 100% of the COVID infections will be amongst vaccinated people. That is a very clear indication that the vaccine is useless and we are much better off with vitamin C and Ivermectin.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gowlerk said:

That article is long on opinion and short on detail. But that aside I will just say that vaccination does not prevent infection. It does  give the body a head start on clearing the infection.

It does significantly reduce infection rates, though, and people who are vaccinated are less likely to transmit the disease if they catch it due to less serious symptoms.  That's the good news.  The bad news is that the vaccines do not confer as long-lasting a protection against infection as hoped for - and all three vaccines are less effective against Delta than against the original strain.  (They DO confer long lasting protection against serious illness or death, however, due to the immunologic memory they create.)

In a recent Oxford study, patients who got the Astra-Zeneca vaccine were just as likely to become infected as the unvaccinated three months after vaccination.  Pfizer vaccines still maintained significant protection against infection three months later, although that protection had declined by about 50% from its peak, which occurred a few weeks after the second vaccination.

What that means is that if you look at a population that's been vaccinated nine months ago with Astra-Zeneca their odds of infection are going to be about the same as the unvaccinated.  And if their behavior becomes more risky as a result (i.e. "I'm vaccinated!  Let's party!") then you could even see more infections in that group.

The NY Times "Daily Briefing" email had an interesting statistic.

Washington state is not reporting the death rate for vaccinated people under 65.
It's too low to calculate.

Unvaxed (all ages) are 5x more likely to test positive than vaxed..

14x more likely to be hospitalized for 12-34 years

18x for 35-64 

9x for 65+.

Deaths are 9x for 65+

Source:https://www.doh.wa.gov/Portals/1/Documents/1600/coronavirus/data-tables/421-010-CasesInNotFullyVaccinated.pdf?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20211123&instance_id=46083&nl=the-morning&regi_id=118682468&segment_id=75125&te=1&user_id=94f58d5b96ea75e238c5bfb8bc8f5a2c

They also said that Minnesota reported a death rate of 0.0/100k for vaxed under 50, but the supporting data wouldn't load for me. 

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

The NY Times "Daily Briefing" email had an interesting statistic.

Washington state is not reporting the death rate for vaccinated people under 65.
It's too low to calculate.

Unvaxed (all ages) are 5x more likely to test positive than vaxed..

14x more likely to be hospitalized for 12-34 years

18x for 35-64 

9x for 65+.

Deaths are 9x for 65+

Source:https://www.doh.wa.gov/Portals/1/Documents/1600/coronavirus/data-tables/421-010-CasesInNotFullyVaccinated.pdf?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20211123&instance_id=46083&nl=the-morning&regi_id=118682468&segment_id=75125&te=1&user_id=94f58d5b96ea75e238c5bfb8bc8f5a2c

They also said that Minnesota reported a death rate of 0.0/100k for vaxed under 50, but the supporting data wouldn't load for me. 

Hi Joe,

IMO Gov. Inslee, just to the north of me, is the gold standard that all state leaders should copy.  He has done a great job with this pandemic.

Jerry Baumchen

Well just when you thought it was safe to visit family and friends. A new variant is out and about. Originating in S. Africa, called B.1.1.529, it features "with mutations that one scientist said marked a “big jump in evolution.” Including "a “very unusual constellation of mutations,” with more than 30 in the spike protein alone, On the ACE2 receptor — the protein that helps to create an entry point for the coronavirus to infect human cells — the new variant has 10 mutations. In comparison, the Beta variant has three and the Delta variant two".

“All these things are what give us some concern that this variant might have not just enhanced transmissibility, so spread more efficiently, but might also be able to get around parts of the immune system and the protection we have in our immune system,” Dr. Lessells said."

New travel restrictions in Europe are already in effect.

Masks and social distancing is the answer until more is known. Pfizer stock and its research scientists to the fore.