5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

Got me some Moderna booster today, too. On top of the Pfizer original, I’m figuring I’ll be able to leap tall buildings. 
Wendy P. 

Not too worried about any 'leaping'.

I'll be happy to just keep on breathing without oxygen (at ground level, anyway).
Or without a ventilator.

Not to mention not catching it and passing it on to anyone else.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2021 at 11:15 PM, brenthutch said:

“Will have died”  

Looks like Brandon will pass Trump early next year, even with vaccines. 

Trump only had COVID to deal with for 9 months of his administration, and no Delta variant. People wore masks and observed lockdowns (schools, public events, theme parks).  Biden has been in office for 10 months, with Delta, more in-person learning, a lot more travel opportunities -- and fewer deaths during that time.  Even with the conspiracy nuts refusing to be vaccinated or protecting their fellow citizens by keeping their germs to themselves, Biden is still doing better than Trump did.

• Like 4

(edited)
15 hours ago, TriGirl said:

Trump only had COVID to deal with for 9 months of his administration, and no Delta variant. People wore masks and observed lockdowns (schools, public events, theme parks).  Biden has been in office for 10 months, with Delta, more in-person learning, a lot more travel opportunities -- and fewer deaths during that time.  Even with the conspiracy nuts refusing to be vaccinated or protecting their fellow citizens by keeping their germs to themselves, Biden is still doing better than Trump did.

The best part of this is, when I made the polio comparison brenthutch caught on to the time issue, without realizing how that negated his own "argument" :rofl:

Maybe if I was woke I'd feel bad for him.

Edited by SkyDekker

15 hours ago, TriGirl said:

Even with the conspiracy nuts refusing to be vaccinated or protecting their fellow citizens by keeping their germs to themselves,

Perhaps there's something to learn here. If a man isn't willing to wear a face mask, then what are the chances he'd wear a condom. Women can change history.

No sex for you!

/soup nazi voice. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

The death rate in Florida is significantly higher than in California.

That is partially a function of the age of the populations, 36 years old in CA 42 in FL, and as we all know older populations are disproportionately impacted by COVID deaths.  It looks as if that mask mandate isn’t working so well.

18 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Such a patriot, gloating over the death of your fellow citizens.

On Facebook I recently posted some metrics showing the decrease in infection and death rates since the beginning of this year.  One of the Trump supporters reacted with a sad face.

Yep, for the next few years, Trump supporters are going to be very bummed that we are finally making headway against COVID-19.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, billvon said:

On Facebook I recently posted some metrics showing the decrease in infection and death rates since the beginning of this year.  One of the Trump supporters reacted with a sad face.

Yep, for the next few years, Trump supporters are going to be very bummed that we are finally making headway against COVID-19.

Obvious strawman 

33 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

That is partially a function of the age of the populations, 36 years old in CA 42 in FL, and as we all know older populations are disproportionately impacted by COVID deaths

You mean there is nuance and direct comparisons are difficult? Didn't think you had it in you.

34 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

It looks as if that mask mandate isn’t working so well.

Oops, guess you don't.

23 minutes ago, winsor said:

The old 'lies, damn lies and statistics':

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2021/11/when_will_the_cdc_correct_its_covid_death_counts_as_italy_just_did.html

The numbers bandied about are about as useful as the sports scores in the old Bob and Ray routine.

TEN FUCKING SECONDS of searching.

Seriously.

https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-748677716173

4 minutes ago, lippy said:

americanthinker.com?  Dude, you're really scraping the bottom of the barrel 

“Facts that threaten my world view?  Dude, I reject those facts and since I have no way of dealing with the uncomfortable truth you just laid out, I will just have to attack the messenger…….Dude”

5 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

“Facts that threaten my world view?  Dude, I reject those facts and since I have no way of dealing with the uncomfortable truth you just laid out, I will just have to attack the messenger…….Dude”

AKA "I can't spend 10 seconds to check this" brent (also "articles I used to argue for several pages I actually completely misunderstood because I just did a quick 5 minute search") hutch

21 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

TEN FUCKING SECONDS of searching.

Seriously.

https://apnews.com/article/fact-checking-748677716173

Okay, so you prefer these guys:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvss/vsrg/vsrg03-508.pdf

I'd have to dig through the archives, but they did a rethink along the way that changed the whole 'of' COVID to 'with' COVID, but standards evolve with experience.

I am still concerned by much of the 'information' that has been put forth by the Powers that Be.

Even if, say, Hydroxychloroquine or Ivermectin had no better therapeutic efficacy than Yellow Skittles, when medical talking heads come on and say how dangerous these medications are it raises the odd eyebrow.  These meds are poster children for Safe and Effective (where indicated), and are used prophylactically by huge numbers of people over vast swaths of the globe with zip for ill effects over billions of doses.

If the Medical Expert came on and said that, on the basis of specific studies they found no improvement in results, but if you want to take it in amounts that keep Malaria or River Blindness at bay knock yourself out, that would make sense.

Hearing a Big Government Doctor on the tube (I guess flat screens aren't tubes, but what the hell) saying how toxic these drugs are, what a danger they present and that they "believe" them to be counterproductive, I am left scratching my head and asking WTF?  Taking drugs significantly safer than aspirin, even for a placebo effect (btw, Remdesivir is MORE dangerous and has the same improvement in outcome as a good placebo), can hardly be a bad idea.

Like chicken soup for the recently deceased, it couldn't hurt.

I do not attribute these positions to conspiracy, since that would give the responsible parties too much credit.  Claiming it is due to stupidity is similarly unlikely, since I am sure these people test well.  The only thing that comes to mind is craziness, which I attribute to their being overwhelmed.

The various vaccines are all well and good, but none of them rise to Silver Bullet status.  I know as many people who have become symptomatic after being fully vaccinated as those who were unvaccinated.  Their likelihood of being crippled by microthrombi (think The Bends where, instead of Nitrogen bubbles, you have cute little blood clots that aren't amenable to resolution in a hyperbaric chamber, but plug capillaries permanently) or dying may be greatly reduced, but they shed the virus at a rate identical to any other COVID patient according to recent reports.

Also, the spike protein, whose production is critical to the effect of the mRNA vaccines, is by any account cytotoxic.  This falls under the category of 'side effects,' which are a given in any therapy - even placebo sugar pills can make you fat.

In the end, the risk/benefit analysis says that taking the vaccine is likely the best course, but hardly puts you in the clear.  There was the case of the Swiss plane where the pilot bailed and had a total mal and the plane then landed itself, but the odds favor parachuting instead of trying to land an uncontrollable aircraft.

One thing that concerns me more than the disease itself is the Bad Craziness that comes with the pandemic.  There are still ripples of the insanity that took hold during the Black Death from 1348 onward, and I am unimpressed with the mental health of our society at the outset.

"May you live in interesting times" is reputedly and old Chinese curse, and interesting times are these.

BSBD,

Winsor

2 hours ago, winsor said:

Hearing a Big Government Doctor on the tube (I guess flat screens aren't tubes, but what the hell) saying how toxic these drugs are, what a danger they present and that they "believe" them to be counterproductive, I am left scratching my head and asking WTF?  Taking drugs significantly safer than aspirin, even for a placebo effect (btw, Remdesivir is MORE dangerous and has the same improvement in outcome as a good placebo), can hardly be a bad idea.

You really can't figure out why doctors were discouraging the use of Ivermectin, just as dipshits were calling poison control after getting a bad dose from the feed shop?

8 minutes ago, lippy said:

You really can't figure out why doctors were discouraging the use of Ivermectin, just as dipshits were calling poison control after getting a bad dose from the feed shop?

I'm sure you have manufactured veterinary pharmaceuticals and thus have some idea of what you're talking about.

I defer to the Master.