5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

6 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Interesting fact, more people will have died of COVID under Biden than under Trump

So I checked and that's actually not true.

COVID deaths when Trump left office:434,000
COVID death rate when Trump left office:3269/day

COVID deaths while Biden has been in office: 340,000
COVID death rate today:1169/day

Now, all hope is not lost.  If you really dig deep and put in a 110% effort, I am sure that you (and your allies, the anti-vaxxers and conspiracy theorists) can get those rates up again so you can have something to tar Biden with.  Try COVID parties!  Have a mass mask protest, with free beer - but only one can for every four people!  Get on a plane, refuse to wear a mask, and cough on everyone.  Wait until you have a fever, then go into a NICU without a mask and give a freedom speech!  The kids (and nurses) will appreciate it.

It will be hard, but I am sure you can do it.

9 hours ago, billvon said:

So I checked and that's actually not true.

COVID deaths when Trump left office:434,000
COVID death rate when Trump left office:3269/day

COVID deaths while Biden has been in office: 340,000
COVID death rate today:1169/day

It will be hard, but I am sure you can do it.

“Will have died”  

Looks like Brandon will pass Trump early next year, even with vaccines. 

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

“Will have died”  

Looks like Brandon will pass Trump early next year, even with vaccines. 

If that happens it will because conservatives and many politicians within the Republican party have vigorously pushed an anti-vaccine campaign of disinformation.  They have somehow managed to generate a mindset within a large segment of the population that holds that putting yourself, your family, your neighbors, and your co-workers at risk of a miserable death or chronic disability is an act of freedom.

You can lead Republicans to facts, but you can't make they think.

As always with the Republican Party nothing matters except power.  If hundreds of thousands of people die or are disabled, that is an acceptable cost of doing business.  Doing business is, of course, ensuring that Biden and the Democrats are blocked from achieving any success in anything they try to do.

As far as the "Brandon" thing is concerned, I distinctly remember conservative SC participants in the past getting their panties in a wad over perceived insults to Republican presidents.  Their argument was "even if you don't like the President you have to respect the office".  Now we see Republicans in Congress openly wearing "Fuck Joe Biden" logos, even within the halls of Congress.  As always, you can tell who is a Republican because they reek of hypocrisy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeorgiaDon said:

Now we see Republicans in Congress openly wearing "Fuck Joe Biden" logos, even within the halls of Congress.  As always, you can tell who is a Republican because they reek of hypocrisy.

As far as I can tell "fuck you" has pretty much become the defining philosophy of the GOP.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Interesting fact, more people will have died of COVID under Biden than under Trump and Biden benefited from Trump’s Operations Warp Speed and had several vaccines and therapeutics that were not widely available during Trump’s tenure.

Straight facts, no cap

True or not, I’m lost on why this would be either interesting or relevant…

Anti-vaxxers bribe doctors for “vaccination” with water, end up with the real vaccine

Mass fake vaccinations have been taking place in dozens of vaccination centers throughout Greece, media reported on Sunday. The bribe fee for doctors and nurses is apparently 400 euros. the fee is paid is by those who do not want to receive the vaccines against Covid-19 but want to gain access to several activities or simply avoid the twice per week Rapid tests for professional and other reasons.

But then a hilarious thing happened: Doctors pocketed the bribe but administered real vaccine and not “water” in order to avoid getting into trouble should the fake vaccination come out, according to a report by Mega TV.

ROTF!

1 hour ago, ryoder said:

Same as the "snakebite kit" strategy.  The anti-vaxxers think they pulled a fast one and avoided the vaccine; they are happy.  They got the vaccine, so Re is reduced and the pandemic recedes.  Good for society.  The doctors get the bribe so they're happy.  Win-win!

20 hours ago, billvon said:

As far as I can tell "fuck you" has pretty much become the defining philosophy of the GOP.

I thought it was "Fuck Your Feelings".

I find it really funny that the Rs are using the 'code' of "Brandon".
It's like a 5 year old who's saying 'naughty' things without using the actual words.
Because his mommy will wash his mouth out with soap if she hears him.

58 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

This just popped up:   If they die of COVID-19 and weren’t vaccinated, their families may not get death benefits

Unvaccinated and die of COVID-19? Some employers won’t pay death benefits - oregonlive.com

Jerry Baumchen

"Very important safety briefing - don't fucking die!"

Johnny Gates

30 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Oh it’s a fact alright, one I will remind you of early next year.

Everyone's life brings them to a different place.  I am very glad the path my life took did not take me to a place where I was happy and hopeful that ~100,000 Americans might die of a deadly disease.

9 minutes ago, billvon said:

Everyone's life brings them to a different place.  I am very glad the path my life took did not take me to a place where I was happy and hopeful that ~100,000 Americans might die of a deadly disease.

Unless they are non vaccinated Republicans 9_9

11 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Interesting 

PA vaccination rate: 72% 7 day rolling average of new cases: 4125

FL vaccination rate: 60% 7 day rolling average of new cases: 1473 (despite having a much larger population) 

When you actually look at the data in context instead of cherry-picking, it's immediately obvious that PA is doing better than FL.

91-DIVOC-states-normalized-Florida.png

(edited)
9 minutes ago, nwt said:

Has done, not is doing.  Looks like that late summer spike in Florida has imparted a good deal of natural immunity. 
Speaking of “cherry picking” you forgot to account for the extra eight million residents in Florida and their greater population density.

Edited by brenthutch

It's quite clear that Covid runs in 'waves' that last two to three months.

There are some ideas about why, but nobody knows for sure.

Due to low vax rates and stupid policies about mitigation methods (masks & distancing), Florida got hit HARD and early when the Delta variant arrived.
So it's not surprising that it's waning there first.

Has little to do with vax rates or mitigation policies now.

If another wave arrives, I'd expect to see Florida get hit hard...
Again.

Personally, I got 'boosted' today.
Some of the CVS locations local to me are doing Moderna, and since I got J&J last spring, I found info that the best choice for the booster was Moderna. Pfizer is also good, but not quite as good. Both of the mRNA vaxes are better boosters than J&J.

The discussion about aspirating the injection on here made some sense to me.
So I asked the pharmacist (or maybe a tech, not sure) about it.
She had not heard about it, or the idea that hitting a vein would increase the chances of myocarditis. She also said that she had not been trained on aspiration and wasn't comfortable doing it.

I figured that if it was that big of a deal, the info would be out to the pharmacies, so I didn't worry about it (it's taking a very small chance of a problem and making it even smaller). I'm not in the 'target' age group, so I wasn't too worried about it to begin with.