5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

(edited)
8 minutes ago, base698 said:

"Almost".

Does BCG wane to zero after six months?

Fair point, but looking at your original question you also said Fauci claimed herd immunity by the summer. So asking me to be charitable is quite dishonest - it's not just a 3% error, you're spreading misinformation on a larger scale.

And for immunity waning after 6 months, the science doesn't seem particularly sure yet. But BCG does offer quite a large amount of antigen targets compared to SARS-COV-2.

Would you have chosen the N protein instead of the S protein as a vaccine target?

Edited by olofscience

That article contains analysis by CNN which says that “if vaccines continue at their current pace” (hint: they didn’t) then the US could reach here immunity (currently estimated at 70-85%). There are a lot of “estimated” and “current data” caveats. 

Wendy P. 

14 minutes ago, base698 said:

Right...the title of that article was "US could reach herd immunity by summer through vaccinations alone, CNN analysis finds"

Read the article, nothing.

So I watched the video, and it was Fauci presenting his calculations as rough estimates, and I quote: "...so that I hope, I hope, by the time we get to the fall, we will reach that critical percentage of people...".

Here's what you said:

11 hours ago, base698 said:

There are dozens of clips of Fauci claiming 97% percent effective and saying we'd have herd immunity by summer. 

I think that statement missed the truth by much more than 3%...

12 minutes ago, olofscience said:

Honest question, why Fauci? Of all people to hate on, why him? It seems just bizarre.

He's been the figurehead since the beginning.  If you get to be the highest paid government official you also have to take ownership and responsibility for your actions and the actions of your org.  That's how leadership works.

26 minutes ago, base698 said:

responsibility for your actions and the actions of your org.

So I looked this up, and Wikipedia shows that he's the director of National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and Chief Medical Advisor to the President.

NIAID's mission is to conduct basic and applied research to better understand, treat, and prevent infectious, immunologic, and allergic diseases.

So...his "leadership" is giving advice to the President. I don't think that's actually leadership, the President is the leader. The actions of his org is conducting basic research, so I'm not sure why he should be hated for that.

HOWEVER...he did provide scientific advice back in 2020 when the actual President had no leadership ability at all, so maybe that's why...

2 hours ago, base698 said:

Ok. Here's dozens of headlines and clips of Fauci saying it would be 97% effective.

So I watched it.  He never said 97% effective.  Did you watch it before you posted the link?

Fact check using the claim he said it would be 100% effective against covid from March for comments on CNN in December 

Again, no, he didn't.  He said it would be NEARLY 100% against severe disease.  Not 100%.  Not against mild disease.  Not against asymptomatic infection.

You seem like a smart guy.  Are you getting these links from an anti-vaxxer and just posting them without reading them?

Here he says 94%.  Outright lie is strong language for a 3% difference.

Claiming he said that it was 97% effective "dozens of times" when he said it zero times is an outright lie.

Claiming 97% effective against COVID, then later altering it to "well, really I meant 94% effective against moderate to severe disease" is just backtracking.  Which, if you've actually learned something new, is no problem.  That's what this forum is for.

Yeah because I'm not going to dig up every headline where he was quoted. I mispoke because I saw that clip a weeks ago when it first went viral.

No worries.  We all make mistakes.  I have found it's a good idea to look up the more hyperbolic claims before posting them, because often people have hidden agendas for claiming things like that.

The stated high effectiveness no booster littered the media on March and April.  Whether it was 90% or 99%.  That's much different than 40%-60%.  If you want to quibble over a mistake I made with 3% cool.

So in other words it's like a flu vaccine.  Very effective against this year's strain - not so effective against next year's strain.  And sometimes not even that effective overall.  The 2018 flu vaccine was between 36% and 25% effective, based on which strain of the flu they were comparing against.  

A recent study of the MMR (measles mumps rubella) vaccine given in Belgium showed that protection declined from 98% to 53% over time (sound familiar?)  Yet we still use that exact same MMR vaccine worldwide - because it prevents disease in a lot of people, and the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

Des Pfizer have an incentive to get everyone to buy their product on a recurring plan?

They actually have an incentive to get you to avoid the vaccine.  A single dose of their mRNA vaccine is $20.  A single dose of monoclonal antibodies is $2200, but that's not given unless you have already become infected.  Which do you think they'd rather sell more of?

1 hour ago, olofscience said:

Honest question, why Fauci? Of all people to hate on, why him? It seems just bizarre.

He's a public figure, and has been on the side of the science since the beginning of the pandemic.  He's the natural target of people who oppose the science and think the pandemic is an evil government plot, or a method the government is using to force some shadowy agenda on people.

1 hour ago, base698 said:

He's been the figurehead since the beginning.  If you get to be the highest paid government official you also have to take ownership and responsibility for your actions and the actions of your org. 

Sure, but ownership isn't the same as defending against made up bullshit like you are posting here.

8 hours ago, billvon said:

So I watched it.  He never said 97% effective.  Did you watch it before you posted the link?

You seem like a smart guy.  Are you getting these links from an anti-vaxxer and just posting them without reading them?

The one consistent thread I've noted throughout this whole ordeal (in person and elsewhere on the web), is that any video or link or study posted by the Anti's is almost guaranteed to not say what they say it says.

2 hours ago, mistercwood said:

The one consistent thread I've noted throughout this whole ordeal (in person and elsewhere on the web), is that any video or link or study posted by the Anti's is almost guaranteed to not say what they say it says.

I gotta think that someone, somewhere, is baiting them with all these links.

"Hey guys!  Copy n paste this link!  In it, Fauci is GUARANTEEING that the vaccine is 97%!  He says it dozens of times, trust me!  Don't watch it, just repost it."

And they just copy and paste without watching it.  Is it someone just trying to make them look dumb?  Or is it someone who subscribes to the "Big Lie" theory of politics?

(edited)
On 11/3/2021 at 6:35 PM, winsor said:

Woke - a disease of denial.  Shown here at its finest.

Deliberate and malicious ignorance. Shown here at its finest.

‘I take all the vaccines! I wear five masks based on the science! But let me tell you why they all suck and all the data about them are lies and you shouldn’t listen to any of it.’

PA removed. 

Edited by wmw999
PA removed

4 hours ago, yoink said:

Deliberate and malicious ignorance. Shown here at its finest.

‘I take all the vaccines! I wear five masks based on the science! But let me tell you why they all suck and all the data about them are lies and you shouldn’t listen to any of it.’

You’re either a troll or too much of a coward to live by what you’re preaching. Either way, get the fuck out of here.

Your one warning.

44 minutes ago, kallend said:

Newsmax forced to disown one of its contributors.  Apparently the vaccine won't make you glow in the dark after all.

FDKPmzRXoAIrpxe.jpg

It'd be pretty cool if it did.

Actually, there was an episode of "10,000 Ways to Die" that had someone inject the contents of a glow stick and it did not end well.

Do you know where I could pick up some Luciferase, or perhaps some Satanize?  All I can find is Concentrated Evil.

2 hours ago, winsor said:

It'd be pretty cool if it did.

Actually, there was an episode of "10,000 Ways to Die" that had someone inject the contents of a glow stick and it did not end well.

Do you know where I could pick up some Luciferase, or perhaps some Satanize?  All I can find is Concentrated Evil.

Nasty stuff, that.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/b6ae8e84-1432-4c33-9301-cfd809a542b0

37 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Interesting fact, more people will have died of COVID under Biden than under Trump and Biden benefited from Trump’s Operations Warp Speed and had several vaccines and therapeutics that were not widely available during Trump’s tenure.

Straight facts, no cap

Interesting fact, more people have died from polio under Trump than under Biden. 

Straight facts, no cap

• Like 1