5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

12 minutes ago, winsor said:

If more people would just wake up and get vaccinated, we'd be in the clear!

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/18/politics/colin-powell-dies/index.html

7 minutes ago, kallend said:

You're smarter than that.

Powell, the first Black secretary of state and the former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, was fully vaccinated, his family said in a post on his Facebook page

One in five N.B. COVID-19 deaths were people who were fully vaccinated

"Immunology professor says people over 65 should pretend they're not vaccinated"

Great! So i can live it up for a couple more years, then have to hermit again when 65!

(edited)
35 minutes ago, winsor said:

That is correct. If more people were vaccinated there would be much less chance for the virus to spread to more vulnerable octogenarians. He did what he could to protect himself, but someone in his life let him down and passed the disease on to him.

Edited by gowlerk

(edited)
1 hour ago, winsor said:

People sometimes die under an open parachute.  Therefore, parachutes are vastly overrated!  

Following Allen West, parachutes are expensive!  Don't give your money to greedy parachute manufacturers.  Jump without a parachute and let the hospital put you back together!

Don

Edited by GeorgiaDon

1 hour ago, winsor said:

Powell had multiple myeloma, a cancer of the plasma cells

Gen. Colin Powell had multiple myeloma, according to a source familiar with the matter. Multiple myeloma is a cancer of plasma cells that suppresses the body’s immune response.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Powell had multiple myeloma, a cancer of the plasma cells

Gen. Colin Powell had multiple myeloma, according to a source familiar with the matter. Multiple myeloma is a cancer of plasma cells that suppresses the body’s immune response.

That's a relief. Good that he wasn't infected by a repressed narrative like some here. That would be bad.

1 hour ago, winsor said:

Am I to imply that you are claiming that vaccinations are ineffective, because a fully vaccinated individual with a compromised immune system was infected with COVID, most likely from a non-vaccinated individual, and that person died from that infection? 

That is like making the claim that speed limits and seat belts don't improve safety, because a family of 4 belted in and driving the speed limit dies in a head on collision with some asshole who was street racing on a public street.

Both claims would only be made by someone who is either dishonest, or clueless.

• Like 2

(edited)
10 minutes ago, DougH said:

Am I to imply that you are claiming that vaccinations are ineffective, because a fully vaccinated individual with a compromised immune system was infected with COVID, most likely from a non-vaccinated individual, and that person died from that infection? 

He is attempting to show off what he believes is a sharp and cutting wit. I think he likely does not understand the need for subtlety to pull it off. Although I must admit this is a tough place for anyone to make that work. Mr. Weber manages occasionally.

Edited by gowlerk
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

If the antibodies aren’t lifelong (as they aren’t in at least the common cold, another coronavirus), then those low death rates for unvaccinated might be a chimera. Because they’ll keep catching it. 

Maybe.  But keep in mind that "no detectable antibodies" does not equal "no immunity."  The purpose of vaccines are to create a specific immune response to that pathogen.  In cases where there are no detectable antibodies, the ability of memory B cells to make more of those antibodies quickly is what provides immunity.

Antibody levels are often used as a proxy for protection because if you have autogenous antibodies, then you are going to generate a pretty strong immune response.  If you don't have autogenous antibodies, you MAY generate a strong immune response.  

5 hours ago, billvon said:

Maybe.  But keep in mind that "no detectable antibodies" does not equal "no immunity."  The purpose of vaccines are to create a specific immune response to that pathogen.  In cases where there are no detectable antibodies, the ability of memory B cells to make more of those antibodies quickly is what provides immunity.

Antibody levels are often used as a proxy for protection because if you have autogenous antibodies, then you are going to generate a pretty strong immune response.  If you don't have autogenous antibodies, you MAY generate a strong immune response.  

There is also cell-mediated immunity, more specifically immunity involving CD8+ T-cells, gamma-delta T-cells, and natural killer cells.  These are cytolytic cells that can recognize infected host cells and kill them, greatly limiting virus replication and dissemination.  These cells do not require antibodies in order to function.  Antibodies get almost all of the attention because they are easier to assay than cell-mediated immunity, but they are only part of the story.

Don

• Like 2

10 hours ago, GeorgiaDon said:

There is also cell-mediated immunity, more specifically immunity involving CD8+ T-cells, gamma-delta T-cells, and natural killer cells.  These are cytolytic cells that can recognize infected host cells and kill them, greatly limiting virus replication and dissemination.  These cells do not require antibodies in order to function.  Antibodies get almost all of the attention because they are easier to assay than cell-mediated immunity, but they are only part of the story.

Don

It's almost like there is more to this "doctor" thing than 10 minutes "research" on Google! Who'd have thought it?

• Like 2

I spent the morning touring the US Library of Congress. Looking at the recreation (so far) of Jefferson’s library, and considering that honest research into many western histories would have to include books in it gives one an entirely different perspective on the word “research.” Because in order to know when to start you have to have some idea of the boundaries. 
If you’re helping to establish the boundaries, you still have to have some idea of the old ones. 
I just don’t thing googling cuts it as anything other than picking a random direction much of the time. 
Wendy P. 

I’ve got to be honest. As someone who holds multiple ‘science’ degrees, married to someone with multiple degrees and a PhD in biological sciences, hearing a layperson tell me ‘they’ve done their research’ really makes me grind my teeth.

I watched a YouTube episode about doctors once. Come here, let me take out that kidney of yours.

10 hours ago, wmw999 said:

I spent the morning touring the US Library of Congress. Looking at the recreation (so far) of Jefferson’s library, and considering that honest research into many western histories would have to include books in it gives one an entirely different perspective on the word “research.” Because in order to know when to start you have to have some idea of the boundaries. 
If you’re helping to establish the boundaries, you still have to have some idea of the old ones. 
I just don’t thing googling cuts it as anything other than picking a random direction much of the time. 
Wendy P. 

every book in that library has been digitized and can be found on google. you dont need to read any books, you can read a computer screen.

16 hours ago, yoink said:

I’ve got to be honest. As someone who holds multiple ‘science’ degrees, married to someone with multiple degrees and a PhD in biological sciences, hearing a layperson tell me ‘they’ve done their research’ really makes me grind my teeth.

Why? I doubt a chef gets upset when a non-chef says they've prepared a nice dinner.

I am not a scientist, but I can still do my own research. Which would include finding out what the research done by scientists has shown.

42 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Why? I doubt a chef gets upset when a non-chef says they've prepared a nice dinner.

I am not a scientist, but I can still do my own research. Which would include finding out what the research done by scientists has shown.

I'm not a Doctor, but I play one on TV.

Wait a minute.  I do have a Doctorate.

Disregard.