5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

13 hours ago, wmw999 said:

I’m just wondering how many people who say the vaccine was developed too quickly will be all over the new almost-approved just-developed medication that supposedly reduces the likelihood of serious illness. 

I predict they will be all over it until it is approved and Biden pushes it.  Then it will become untested poison intended to kill millions, part of some democratic Bill Gates New World Order plan to depopulate the planet.

On 10/2/2021 at 4:37 PM, Westerly said:

The requirement for which should be a vaccine. Sorry, you turned down the vaccine? Sorry, no scientific medication for you.

TBF, that is sort of the case with this treatment already, since it is only intended for use by patients exhibiting only mild to moderate symptoms.  Does that automatically rule out unvaccinated? No, but the unvax'd are more likely to get the severe cases and die.  Plus, as long as it is approved for this age group, you can't withhold from those who are ineligible.

Let's also be clear it is a treatment, not a cure. I always recommend important distinctions should be part of the conversation from the outset (not criticizing you, Westerly -- general statement).  If we don't, we continue in these situations to end up where we are now, for example: very sick people admitted to the hospital, asking if they can get the vaccine now. Those without medical backgrounds don't know how vaccines work. They don't know that a treatment is not a cure.  It has to be said early, often, and habitually.

Maybe it is time to get that shingles vaccine I've been ignoring.

For people over 50 years old, 

"(shingles) vaccination was associated with a 16% lower risk of COVID-19 diagnosis and 32% lower risk of hospitalization, suggesting RZV elicits heterologous protection, possibly through trained immunity."

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.10.01.21264400v1

1 hour ago, headoverheels said:

"(shingles) vaccination was associated with a 16% lower risk of COVID-19 diagnosis and 32% lower risk of hospitalization, suggesting RZV elicits heterologous protection, possibly through trained immunity."

Or it's more that people who tend to get vaccines tend to be a little more science-oriented, and thus use other mitigations (i.e. masking, distancing etc)

There was an interesting study of diets a while back that concluded that all diets (diets that were followed at least) worked.  The discussion of the results suggested that the actual diet itself was not that important; what was important was that someone who was willing to stick to a diet was, in general, more careful about what they ate, and more likely to reject harmful foods on that basis alone.

My wife and I both caught our first proper cold that our little one brought back from school about 10 days ago. Since then this cold has hit both of us harder than one ever has before.

I ususally take a week to get over a cold, but my wife is always done in about 2 or 3 days, and never gets as sick as I do - I'm super envious of her. This one absolutlely FUCKED us both for about 10 days. Today is the first day I feel functional. It was really, really bad, but strain-wise, probably no different than a normal common cold.

There's a phrase going around now called 'Immunity debt' - basically because we've not been exposed to all the small pathogens over the last 18 months that we usually are, our immune systems are effectively in hibernation. This means that when you do come across a virus it's going to spread faster in a population and hit harder than it normally would.

I tell you what - it's made getting the flu vaccine much more of a priority for me this year. If a flu does start going around it's really going to hurt.

22 hours ago, headoverheels said:

Maybe it is time to get that shingles vaccine I've been ignoring.

For people over 50 years old, 

Good idea, I had shingles 2 years ago and I can tell you, you don't want to get it.  I was on the list to get a shingles vaccination before but it was in short supply and I couldn't get it.  Now that is available I will get the shot.

Seems that getting Covid does not confer long term immunity:

https://scitechdaily.com/for-unvaccinated-covid-reinfection-is-likely-can-happen-in-three-months-or-less/

Reinfection can reasonably happen in three months or less,” said Jeffrey Townsend, the Elihu Professor of Biostatistics at the Yale School of Public Health and the study’s lead author. “Therefore, those who have been naturally infected should get vaccinated. Previous infection alone can offer very little long-term protection against subsequent infections.”

• Like 1

(edited)
59 minutes ago, winsor said:

If you want to understand many apparently complex issues, take the advice of 'Deep Throat' and follow the money:

https://www.thedesertreview.com/opinion/columnists/ivermectin---truth-and-totalitarianism/article_2e03f334-252f-11ec-a086-eb72bc65ec02.html

BSBD,

Winsor

You really need to read sites that have less of a bias toward conspiracy theories and Covid misinformation. It might help you.

The Desert Review

The Desert Review - Right Center Bias - Questionable - Conservative - Not Credible - PseudoscienceFactual Reporting: Mixed - Not always Credible or Reliable

QUESTIONABLE SOURCE

A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency, and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact-checked on a per-article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source.

• Overall, we rate The Desert Review Right-Center Biased and Questionable based on the frequent promotion of pseudoscience, conspiracy theories, and misinformation regarding covid-19.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-desert-review-bias/

Edited by yoink

(edited)
25 minutes ago, yoink said:

eally need to read sites that have less of a bias toward conspiracy theories and Covid misinformation.

You left out the best part: the author, Dr. Justus R. Hope is a complete fraud. 

"Many pro-Ivermectin opinion articles are written by Justus R. Hope, MD., who admits this name is a pseudonym underneath the articles he writes. Dr. Hope also writes under his fake name in a book he authored Surviving Cancer, COVID-19, and Disease: The Repurposed Drug Revolution."

EDIT: Evidently, he wrote, "The Coffee Cure Diet."

Edited by BIGUN
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, yoink said:

You really need to read sites that have less of a bias toward conspiracy theories and Covid misinformation. It might help you.

The Desert Review

The Desert Review - Right Center Bias - Questionable - Conservative - Not Credible - PseudoscienceFactual Reporting: Mixed - Not always Credible or Reliable

QUESTIONABLE SOURCE

A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency, and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact-checked on a per-article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source.

• Overall, we rate The Desert Review Right-Center Biased and Questionable based on the frequent promotion of pseudoscience, conspiracy theories, and misinformation regarding covid-19.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-desert-review-bias/

If you address content, fine, Ad Hominem (circumstantial) is another thing altogether.  If you want 'misinformation regarding covid-19' you need look no further than Dr. Anthony Fauci.

BSBD,

Winsor

4 hours ago, winsor said:

If you want to understand many apparently complex issues, take the advice of 'Deep Throat' and follow the money:

https://www.thedesertreview.com/opinion/columnists/ivermectin---truth-and-totalitarianism/article_2e03f334-252f-11ec-a086-eb72bc65ec02.html

BSBD,

Winsor

People aren't really this stupid right? 

Merck comes out saying don't use Ivermectin, since there is no scientific basis for therapeutic effect. Your "expert" labels that as a lie and produces a link to a study showing the effect of Ivermectin in vitro. Guess what else kills the Coronavirus in vitro? Bleach. I guess the reason we don't use bleach to treat COVID is because the anti-bleach lobby is just too powerful.

Never mind that it was also at a dosage much higher than recommended for humans.

Those who believe vaccine mandates to be unamerican may be interested to know that our country's first (inoculation) mandate was instituted in 1777 by George Washington, giving us a strategic advantage contributing to our victory in the Revolutionary War.

Our country was founded on vaccine mandates.

https://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/GW&smallpoxinoculation.html?fbclid=IwAR0DCON5VQ_rXOMm2mwLZ6SXC3QBnaKCY9vc6IlK-ZUjFKbDsE2Rj2yc8i0

(edited)
5 hours ago, winsor said:

If you address content, fine, Ad Hominem (circumstantial) is another thing altogether.  If you want 'misinformation regarding covid-19' you need look no further than Dr. Anthony Fauci.

BSBD,

Winsor

No. That's not how it works.

You want me to read what you think? Then the onus is on you to choose a source that I can at least respect.

If I start quoting my mate Jeff the brickie from the pub as a source of covid information then you could rightly tell me to shut up and have no need to refute any of the points he made, because it's a stupid source of information at the start. We don't need to go any deeper than that as it's a waste of time.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to throw some Latin in there - it's not as impressive as you might think, but hey - maybe my classical education may finally have a point if you want to go that route? 

I'll also just leave this here from the BBC:

"The BBC can reveal that more than a third of 26 major trials of the drug for use on Covid have serious errors or signs of potential fraud. None of the rest show convincing evidence of ivermectin's effectiveness.

Dr Kyle Sheldrick, one of the group investigating the studies, said they had not found "a single clinical trial" claiming to show that ivermectin prevented Covid deaths that did not contain "either obvious signs of fabrication or errors so critical they invalidate the study"."

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-58170809

Edited by yoink
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, winsor said:

Since the vaccine is a cure, the pandemic is over.  Yay!

The vaccine is not a cure.  It's a vaccine.  That's different than a cure. You really don't know this?

The first polio vaccine came out in 1954.  It took three years for polio cases to drop by 75%.

(edited)
6 hours ago, winsor said:

Since the vaccine is a cure, the pandemic is over.  Yay!

FFS Winsor. Without the vaccines we would have had at least three times as many dead by now. You are seriously losing your grip lately.

Edited by gowlerk

6 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

People aren't really this stupid right? 

Seriously? 

People are touting Tonic Water as a cure. 

People are fighting with health care workers trying to get them to give ICU patients Ivermectin, HCQ and 'intravenous vitamins' as a 'cure'.

People are claiming that the vaccine is killing more than Covid. 

They are posting "Rebukes" on FB, claiming that Jesus can stop the virus.

At the same time, the same people are denying science and reality.
Pretending that because the understanding has grown and changed since the beginning that the scientists and health care experts are 'lying'.

They latch onto blatantly false 'news' from 'sources' that have a loooooooong history of utter bullshit.

The gullibility and foolishness and, yes, utter stupidity of some people is stunning.
But very real.

People are that stupid.

• Like 1