5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

16 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

"He told patients in person and through fliers in his office that masks were ineffective against COVID-19 and could even cause carbon dioxide poisoning, according to the medical board."

Will someone please explain how surgical staff manage to spend most of every day working in masks without collapsing?

On 9/14/2021 at 7:19 PM, ryoder said:

I just saw the story a few minutes ago:

Anti-Vaxxers Are Now Gargling Iodine to Prevent Covid-19

Next up: Going to the barber and asking for a haircut and some bloodletting?

Vaccines, Ivermectin, Betadine, Bloodletting, whatever. The only thing that offers true protection from Covid is old and tried and true: drinking the bong water at midnight.

1 hour ago, base698 said:

Pretty juicy stuff.

"There isn't data to be convince my nurses refusing the vaccine are safer with the vaccine than without"

"70x risk of heart attack"

"We have to kill 2 people with the vaccine to save 1" 

You linked to the open public hearing bit where an unaffiliated doctor presented about VAERS statistics and declared that vaccines cause more deaths than prevent them.

She also presented a slide that heavily implied that the vaccines CAUSED the variants to emerge because of evolutionary pressure - an argument I already addressed in a different thread.

To debunk the VAERS analysis: https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-vaers-12000-idUSL1N2P21DB

edit: another article on why VAERS is becoming a source of misinformation: https://theconversation.com/unverified-reports-of-vaccine-side-effects-in-vaers-arent-the-smoking-guns-portrayed-by-right-wing-media-outlets-they-can-offer-insight-into-vaccine-hesitancy-166401

Edited by olofscience

2 hours ago, olofscience said:

You linked to the open public hearing bit where an unaffiliated doctor presented about VAERS statistics and declared that vaccines cause more deaths than prevent them.

She also presented a slide that heavily implied that the vaccines CAUSED the variants to emerge because of evolutionary pressure - an argument I already addressed in a different thread.

To debunk the VAERS analysis: https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-vaers-12000-idUSL1N2P21DB

edit: another article on why VAERS is becoming a source of misinformation: https://theconversation.com/unverified-reports-of-vaccine-side-effects-in-vaers-arent-the-smoking-guns-portrayed-by-right-wing-media-outlets-they-can-offer-insight-into-vaccine-hesitancy-166401

It's possible to find charlatans in every profession.  Nothing new here.

3 hours ago, base698 said:

Pretty juicy stuff.

"There isn't data to be convince my nurses refusing the vaccine are safer with the vaccine than without"

Why that's nothing.  I just found out that 90% of the people who got the polio vaccine in 1955 are DEAD!   90%!  DEAD!  The COVID vaccine is way safer than that - and people get the polio vaccine without a second thought.

• Like 1

Just now, billvon said:

Why that's nothing.  I just found out that 90% of the people who got the polio vaccine in 1955 are DEAD!   90%!  DEAD!  The COVID vaccine is way safer than that - and people get the polio vaccine without a second thought.

Good job I didn't get mine until 1957, then.

Hi folks,

Mary Starrett, a former tv newscaster, is a loony-tune, right-wing Yamhill county commissioner, here in Oregon:  Starrett’s post “is not accurate, and by a large degree,” the state health agency told The Oregonian/OregonLive. Starrett, who’s in her second term as a Yamhill County commissioner, counted some deaths twice.

Yamhill Commissioner Mary Starrett miscounts breakthrough COVID-19 deaths, refuses to concede inaccurate conclusion - oregonlive.com

This is the type of idiocy that is convincing people to not get the vax.

Typical right-wing insanity.

Jerry Baumchen

On 9/18/2021 at 7:31 AM, base698 said:

Pretty juicy stuff.

Do you remember the adverse reactions to the J&J vaccine back in April?

million doses given.
6 women had blood clots attributed to it. One died.

As a result, administration of the vaccine was suspended while they tried to figure out what happened.

There was a similar situation of 'reactions, suspension of use, investigation, resumption of use' in Europe (UK?) for the exact same thing.

Yet the fools and idiots keep on claiming that the vaccines are 'killing people'.

Do you really think that the 'government' could keep it quiet?
Do you think that Fox, OAN, Blaze, Breitbart and all of the other Alt-right shit-stirrers wouldn't have this all over the place?
Even the "main stream media" is 'death focused' enough that they wouldn't let this slide (if it bleeds, it leads).

The last few years have seen such an eruption of anti-intellectualism that has been frightening.

One that was interesting was that people were reported to have voted for Brexit specifically because the 'experts' told them not to. 

The current 'treatments' for Covid that are being touted by the fools are equally baffling.
Vitamins & minerals.
Ivermectin (parasite treatment)
HCQ

None of them have any valid studies supporting them.

These same morons reject the vaccines because they don't think they've been studied enough.
The idiots are also starting to spread the idea that the current protocols, Regeneron, Remdisivir and even ventilators are what is killing people instead of Covid. 

The fact is that by the time these dipshits get to the hospital, they are pretty much doomed.
I've seen reports from EMS/ER intake people that if the incoming patient has O2 sats below about 80% on room air, their lungs are damaged to the point that they are not likely to survive. 

And, of course, once they get to the hospital and realize how much trouble they're in, they want everything. Vaccines (too late), vent, EMCO, even lung transplants. 
I heard a second hand story about an unvaccinated guy who was in bad shape. A vent would only prolong the misery. So he decided to just do palliative care and hospice. He called family and said goodbye. The family members convinced him to try everything. It won't change the outcome. Just prolong the agony and tie up resources. 

Right now, it's looking like the current 'wave' is going to subside. New cases aren't increasing as fast as they've been, and are starting to decline in places that saw the first of the delta. 
That doesn't change the fact that the 7 day average deaths is over 2k,  and will continue to be so for a couple weeks (deaths lag new cases by a couple weeks).
And, not surprisingly, Florida is seeing more cases & deaths than it did during the worst of it last winter.
Link:https://www.google.com/search?q=covid+deaths+in+us&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS910US910&oq=&aqs=chrome.0.69i59i450l8.4576594j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Just google search results, but it has a nice graph at the top. You can switch between deaths & new cases, and pick individual states or the entire country (or other countries),

We're likely to see 750k total deaths (3/4 of a million dead) by Halloween. 

The real fun part will be all the people who had bad cases and didn't die. They're going to be in long term care or on oxygen for a long time. 

And it didn't have to happen.

The Herman Cain Awards page on Reddit is very active. I don't see that changing for a while.

• Like 2

I guess my objection to the vaccine is that it is pretty much the only treatment given much consideration.  Of course there is the use of masks and otherwise limiting transmission, but precious little attention is paid to other prophylaxis and treatment.

When anyone touts a Single Input-Single Output Closed Form solution to a complex problem, it raises flags.  Getting even a Jordan Form (first derivative) solution to a multi-parameter LINEAR system is generally daunting, and settling on an SISO approach to a complex nonlinear system suggests intellectual laziness.

I got vaccinated at the first opportunity, but have no reason to view it as a panacea.  Two long time friends had severe thrombosis issues five days after receiving the Moderna vaccine, one of them was revived (and is still undead), one died.

If the vaccine is but one arrow in your quiver, fine.  If you're betting the ranch that the vaccine is all that is needed to bring COVID-19 to heel, good luck with that.

BSBD,

Winsor

I find it interesting how many people who are doubtful of the vaccine have known associates who had issues (among a probably smaller percentage of associates who are vaccinated in the first place). I live in a very liberal part of the country with a high vaccination rate; I doubt i have a relative who isn’t vaccinated. And yet I have only second-hand (via anti-vaxxers) stories of damage beyond what I’ve read in the news. 
It’s kind of like for some people, the vaccine is innocent until proven guilty; for others, guilty until proven innocent. 
And as far as trying to find treatments — really? You don’t think companies are trying to find something, given the huge potential for profit? Especially given the vaccine hesitancy? A treatment that’s been worked on for only a year and a half is bound to be superior to a vaccine that’s effectively been in the works for 18 years, after all. 
Too many people only want to fix what’s broken, because preventing it assumes it might happen. But then too many people don’t really accept that statistics might actually apply to them, too. 
Wendy P. 

Throughout history vaccines of various formats appeared before effective anti-viral medication showed up. Goes to show that development of vaccinations certainly didn't stop development of anti-viral medication. Not sure why people would think that is now somehow different.

3 minutes ago, winsor said:

I guess my objection to the vaccine is that it is pretty much the only treatment given much consideration.  Of course there is the use of masks and otherwise limiting transmission, but precious little attention is paid to other prophylaxis and treatment.

?? There have been literally hundreds of studies on the effectiveness of hydroxychloroquine, ivermectin, resdemivir, Dexamethazone, Tocilizumab, Baricitinib, monoclonal antibodies and a dozen other potential drugs.  Only a few of those have shown any effectiveness against COVID - but those few are used quite regularly.

When anyone touts a Single Input-Single Output Closed Form solution to a complex problem, it raises flags. 

Agreed.  That approach has not been taken with COVID, as the examples above illustrate.

I got vaccinated at the first opportunity, but have no reason to view it as a panacea. 

Also agreed.  Few people do.  Which is why masking is still being encouraged in many places.

1 hour ago, winsor said:

When anyone touts a Single Input-Single Output Closed Form solution to a complex problem, it raises flags.  Getting even a Jordan Form (first derivative) solution to a multi-parameter LINEAR system is generally daunting, and settling on an SISO approach to a complex nonlinear system suggests intellectual laziness.

Polio, diphtheria, smallpox, measles, pertussis. . .  All killers that were effectively reduced to irrelevance or eliminated by vaccines alone.

5 minutes ago, kallend said:

Polio, diphtheria, smallpox, measles, pertussis. . .  All killers that were effectively reduced to irrelevance or eliminated by vaccines alone.

And in the middle of 2018 a new medication for the treatment of smallpox was approved by the FDA.....showing again that the development of a vaccine didn't stop development of medication.