5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

Spent last weekend with my dear friend of over 50 years.  Just he and I at the boat for three days.  I had to steer the conversation away from the vax issue lest I slap him into next week.

Bottom line is you'll never, ever convince him and his ilk to get the vax and trying to force them will make things worse.  I'm reminded of my daughter bringing home a guy I hated.  She eventually dumped him but had I tried to stop it she would have held on tighter.

Our only choice at this point is self preservation.

Edited by airdvr

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

Bottom line is you'll never, ever convince him and his ilk to get the vax and trying to force them will make things worse. 

How will it become worse? He may become more angry I suppose, but he won’t become less vaccinated. Vaccine mandates won’t work for everyone but they will work for many. Covid is here for a long time, mandates are needed and they will become relentless. People will get used to it.

3 minutes ago, kallend said:

The selfishness of the unvaccinated is what leads to things like this:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/09/10/cullman-al-man-dies-hospitals-full-icus-turn-away-covid/8281712002/

Alabama man dies of cardiac event after 43 hospitals with full ICUs turned him away

My patience with anti-vaxxers is long past. I keep thinking of the persuasive powers of a Louisville Slugger.

"hospitalization rates increased five-fold among children and teens and increased rapidly from late June to mid-August, coinciding with the spread of the more contagious Delta variant in the United States.

The rate of hospitalization for unvaccinated teens was 10 times higher than for those that were vaccinated. Hospitalizations were highest among kids aged up to 4, and teens 12-17.

One in four of the children who were hospitalized needed intensive care."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

How will it become worse? He may become more angry I suppose, but he won’t become less vaccinated. Vaccine mandates won’t work for everyone but they will work for many. Covid is here for a long time, mandates are needed and they will become relentless. People will get used to it.

I get what you're saying.  However, these folks are true believers...imaginary man in the sky...our elections are fixed...and the vaccine is a government plot.  He actually went as far as to call it the "Plandemic"...several times.

It's kind of like killing terrorists.  It's great for recruitment.  If you force a needle into these folks arms you'll just reinforce what they already believe.  And we don't need any more terrorists.  Think Ruby Ridge or Waco.

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

I get what you're saying.  However, these folks are true believers...imaginary man in the sky...our elections are fixed...and the vaccine is a government plot.  He actually went as far as to call it the "Plandemic"...several times.

It's kind of like killing terrorists.  It's great for recruitment.  If you force a needle into these folks arms you'll just reinforce what they already believe.  And we don't need any more terrorists.  Think Ruby Ridge or Waco.

Maybe, but I'm fed up with minority rule by maskhole antivaxers. I have only guesses as to what Covid endemic life will be like but if, as I suspect, travel will be easier, restaurants will reopen and we can ditch these stupid masks then I'll take it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

My patience with anti-vaxxers is long past. I keep thinking of the persuasive powers of a Louisville Slugger.

"hospitalization rates increased five-fold among children and teens and increased rapidly from late June to mid-August, coinciding with the spread of the more contagious Delta variant in the United States.

The rate of hospitalization for unvaccinated teens was 10 times higher than for those that were vaccinated. Hospitalizations were highest among kids aged up to 4, and teens 12-17.

One in four of the children who were hospitalized needed intensive care."

Hi Phil,

And to add to that:  47 Lake Oswego students exposed to COVID-19 on school bus | KOIN.com

Just a waste,

Jerry Baumchen

Edited by JerryBaumchen

3 hours ago, airdvr said:

It's Schrodinger's virus.

Equally and simultaneously a Chinese plot to destroy the US government and a US government plot to control the populace.

5 hours ago, airdvr said:

Why are these true believers more to feared and/or humored than the African Americans who have been largely out of the economic world? Or the young people who resent inheriting a world that protects people who have already made it at the expense of those just starting out? Or that whole environment thing? 
Wendy P. 

1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

Why are these true believers more to feared and/or humored than the African Americans who have been largely out of the economic world? Or the young people who resent inheriting a world that protects people who have already made it at the expense of those just starting out? Or that whole environment thing? 
Wendy P. 

Why? I think because African-Americans and young people and environmentalists aren't as uniformly bumfuck crazy and armed to the teeth as the folks who prefer untested Ivermectin over a tested vaccine.

2 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Is that an Ivanka quote?

Remember that young pilot I had who would not get vaccinated because her family didn’t want her to? She just threw off some of the Mennonite shackles and got a dose of Pfizer. But she got it a hundred miles away from home and is not telling anyone!

I’m pretty sure that would not have happened if I had not “mandated” the vaccine for all our staff. 

Edited by gowlerk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Remember that young pilot I had who would not get vaccinated because her family didn’t want her to? She just threw off some of the Mennonite shackles and got a dose of Pfizer. But she got it a hundred miles away from home and is not telling anyone!

I’m pretty sure that would not have happened if I had not “mandated” the vaccine for all our staff. 

Anyone can mandate anything, but would you have been an asshole about it? I know that most DZO's are total assholes but now and again someone doesn't get the program.

51 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Anyone can mandate anything, but would you have been an asshole about it? I know that most DZO's are total assholes but now and again someone doesn't get the program.

I removed her from the schedule for the last month. Told her to call me if she changed her mind. A month later she did. Is that asshole enough? I took a fair bit of flack from some jumpers and one of my partners. I told them they could take over as Ops manager if they wanted to. None of them did.

Edited by gowlerk

Conway Regional Health System - Religious Exemption Attestation for COVID-19 Vaccine:

Wikipedia: HEK 293 cells

HEK 293 cells were generated in 1973 by transfection of cultures of normal human embryonic kidney cells with sheared adenovirus 5 DNA in Alex van der Eb's laboratory in Leiden, the Netherlands. The cells were obtained from a single, aborted or miscarried fetus, the precise origin of which is unclear.

So you are an anti-vaxxer who wants to avoid any drug tested or developed with that cell line? Well take a look at the prescription drug section (2nd list) in this article and note numbers 12, 13, and 15:

Patheos: If Any Drug tested on HEK-293 Is Immoral, Goodbye Modern Medicine

Edited by ryoder

5 hours ago, ryoder said:

So you are an anti-vaxxer who wants to avoid any drug tested or developed with that cell line?

I wonder how many anti-vaxxers have that as a reason for their reluctance?   I've seen it as a meme on the HCA reddit thread, but not very often.  I doubt (with absolutely no basis ;-)  that it comprises a double-digit percentage of all sarscov2 anti-vaxxers.