5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

2 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

I posted this link a week or so ago:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HermanCainAward/

It's absolutely exploded since then. Warning: Very large amounts of schadenfreude in here. 
It's stunning how many strident 'anti-mask' or 'anti-vax' fools are dying off.

It seems that being overweight and having a goatee is an additional risk factor.

18 minutes ago, ryoder said:

I think Trae's suggestion is worthy of consideration:

I had not heard of Rand Pauls position on this before. Bent on one knee, leaning forward with his lips firmly on donald trump's ass. But its true and the GOP should be proud. Its conservative voters should feel vindicated that the rush to the bottom has made America first.

"The hatred for Trump deranged these people so much, that they're unwilling to objectively study it," Paul told dozens of constituents at a meeting in a suburb just south of Cincinnati on Friday, the Cincinnati Enquirer reported

"So someone like me that's in the middle on it, I can't tell you because they will not study ivermectin," the senator added. "They will not study hydroxychloroquine without the taint of their hatred for Donald Trump."

22 minutes ago, ryoder said:

What...the...fuck??? Since when are judges qualified to prescribe drugs???

Hopefully, the doctors will simply quit the case.

Yep.  Something tells me if they administer it, and the patient dies, the judge will go all Sidney Powell.  "Well, any competent doctor would be smart enough to not listen to my nonsense!  I mean, what sane person would take me seriously on medical advice?"

15 minutes ago, billvon said:

Yep.  Something tells me if they administer it, and the patient dies, the judge will go all Sidney Powell.  "Well, any competent doctor would be smart enough to not listen to my nonsense!  I mean, what sane person would take me seriously on medical advice?"

Now here is a thought:

They administer it, and the patient dies; Can the judge be charged with practicing medicine without a medical license?

12 minutes ago, billvon said:

In other important news, apparently the Earths rotation which has been steadily slowing has reversed the trend and is now speeding up again. Devastating news for those of us waiting for a safe speed to get off. 

10 hours ago, ryoder said:

Butler Co. judge orders doctors to treat COVID-19 patient with Ivermectin

More info in this case; The wife found a quack who prescribed it:

Judge’s order requiring hospital to give COVID patient ivermectin called “unethical”

It's unclear when Julie contacted Dr. Fred Wagshul, but on August 20, he prescribed ivermectin for Jeffrey. Wagshul is a pulmonologist with a practice near Dayton, Ohio, and he helps run the Front Line COVID-19 Critical Care Alliance, a group of doctors which encourage treatment of COVID with ivermectin, fluvoxamine, famotidine, and a smorgasbord of other drugs. Some of those drugs may work in limited circumstances, but most of them appear useless against the virus. Currently, Wagshul does not appear to have any privileges at any hospitals.

56 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Currently, Wagshul does not appear to have any privileges at any hospitals.

Interesting. I’ll bet most of his patients are in favor of abortion doctors not being able to practice if they don’t have admitting privileges. 
Wendy P. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ryoder said:

This got a bit of discussion on the Reddit page I've linked.

#1 - Ivermectin is FDA approved for people, for certain things. Covid isn't one of them.

#2 - In reasonable doses, it's safe with minimal side effects. So it really can't hurt. It just won't help.

#3 - The judge basically said that since it won't hurt, go ahead and make the family happy. 

It's a stupid decision. The precedent it sets is really troubling.

The truly funny part about Ivermectin is that there are situations and circumstances where it helps.
It does a nice job on parasites. In places where parasites are a real issue, giving people a drug that will address them will improve their overall health. That gives them a better chance to beat Covid. 

So if this guy has a bad case of intestinal worms, the Ivermectin will improve his overall health and give him a better shot at recovery. Shame that parasites aren't a real issue here in the US.

Some people claim it has anti-viral properties and has been successful against Zika and a couple others. But there's no real evidence to support that.

13 hours ago, ryoder said:

Not sure if you read the article. But it states that a Doctor prescribed it, but hospital staff are refusing to administer it.

Not clear if the prescribing Doc has privileges at the hospital.

On 8/30/2021 at 4:42 PM, billvon said:

Doesent matter, a doctor would still need to prescribe and approve it, and no judge can directly order any single doctor to prescribe anything. Only medical professionals have that legal authorization. The medical staff could easily respond that they are not legally authorized to prescribe that and if the court wants it administered they will need to administer it themselves.

Edited by Westerly

1 hour ago, Westerly said:

Doesent matter, a doctor would still need to prescribe and approve it, and no judge can directly order any single doctor to prescribe anything. 

A doctor did prescribe and approve it.  The hospital is refusing to administer it because that doctor (Fred Washgul) does not have privileges there, and the doctor who is in charge of the patient's care at the hospital doesn't want to use it.  The family shopped around until they found a doctor who would write for it.

On 8/30/2021 at 12:37 PM, olofscience said:

One more, relatively young at 30, not really in the usual risk group for covid. But if you don't get the vaccine, you're rolling the dice.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/aug/29/texas-caleb-wallace-anti-mask-protests-freedom-dies-covid-19

EDIT to add: he also began taking high doses of Vitamin C, zinc and ivermectin. How anyone prefers the serious side effects of antiworm medication, to a slightly sore arm for a few hours is beyond me.

The unfathomable fucktard Joe Rogan ha done the same thing, and since he just happens to have a milder case, is now spouting off like he cured himself with Ivermectin et al. So look forward to seeing his legions of followers at a farm store near you.

35 minutes ago, jakee said:

The unfathomable fucktard Joe Rogan ha done the same thing, and since he just happens to have a milder case, is now spouting off like he cured himself with Ivermectin et al. So look forward to seeing his legions of followers at a farm store near you.

I like Joe Rogan from an entertainment standpoint, he has a talent for conversing with people. But it amazes me how many people find him to be intelligent and well informed on all types of issues. 

I can't recall where I heard this quote, but it hit the nail on the head... Joe Rogan is the real life representation of what an idiot believes an intelligent person is like.

RE Ivermectin, from what I have read it is safe with minimal or no side-effects at the acceptable human dose. It just so happens that it hasn't shown any efficacy at treating COVID at those dosages. The only evidence was in vitro, in a petri dish. So if they are taking acceptable doses it shouldn't harm, but it also won't help.

If they are taking livestock dosages all I can say is play stupid games win stupid prizes. Have fun shitting out the lining of your intestines'. 

Edited by DougH

Just now, olofscience said:

This was observed with a drug concentration 100 times higher than normal peak concentrations.

Animals have survived higher dosages, but at that level I don't think side effects will be very minor anymore.

No argument. Bleach also showed effectiveness in similar contrived lab testing. Go figure, bleach in the petri dish destroy virus particles.

If doctors are prescribing ivermectin more than the recommended human dosage then they should lose their medical licenses for malpractice.

People that are obtaining non prescription ivermectin and are overdosing are idiots. They get what they get, and I don't really care who gave them the idea or supported it, they chose to follow that advise instead of more qualified medical advice like get your vaccination, and don't take horse de-wormer. Fuck 'em. I grow increasingly less sympathetic and increasingly more resentful of these people day by day.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, murps2000 said:

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/brazilian-viper-venom-may-become-tool-fight-against-coronavirus-study-shows-2021-08-31/

Now this is a remedy I’d like to see gain popularity with the antivax crowd. I bet air fare prices to Brazil have already jumped.

"We're wary about people going out to hunt the jararacussu around Brazil, thinking they're going to save the world ... That's not it!" said Giuseppe Puorto, a herpetologist running the Butantan Institute's biological collection in Sao Paulo. "It's not the venom itself that will cure the coronavirus."

Something tells me that this will be missed by many. Wishing good hunting... to the snakes.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DougH said:

No argument. Bleach also showed effectiveness in similar contrived lab testing.

Yeah!  That's the disinfectant where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute.  Maybe there's a way we can do something like that.  By injection inside or almost a cleaning?