5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

6 minutes ago, billvon said:

Yep.  I count four so far just in people I know who went.

At least three I know of first hand are smart people who have breakthrough infections. Sadly, I'm thinking the new normal is already here. Get vaccinated and stay boosted by hook or by crook. Hang with vaccinated people who can be trusted to not be too loose because of whatever the reason and patronize places that take masks and protocols seriously. Good for us that we have lot's of gay friends; they are all vaccinated and take things seriously. 

(edited)

At least there is one positive to Covid--it's pretty good at finding stupid people and exploiting their stupidity. It's almost like stupidity is the primary risk factor for covid. Anti vaxxers wont take the vaccine, they wont follow any precautions, they wont wear a mask, and they hang out in large groups mostly with other people who share the same ideas. Basically the ideal scenario for Covid to infect. Eventually I think after a few years, we're going to be a society with noticeably fewer idiots walking around, and honestly that's not a bad thing.

Edited by Westerly

11 minutes ago, Westerly said:

At least there is one positive to Covid--it's pretty good at finding stupid people and exploiting their stupidity. It's almost like stupidity is the primary risk factor for covid. Anti vaxxers wont take the vaccine, they wont follow any precautions, they wont wear a mask, and they hang out in large groups mostly with other people who share the same ideas. Basically the ideal scenario for Covid to infect. Eventually I think after a few years, we're going to be a society with noticeably fewer idiots walking around, and honestly that's not a bad thing.

But they'll take animal dewormer:

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/23/1030208101/mississippi-livestock-drug-ivermectin-covid-misinformation

3 hours ago, headoverheels said:

Humans are not supposed to eat that.  They aren't even supposed to eat meat of horses treated with that.

Imagine being at the point where you don’t  trust doctors to tell you which human drugs to take but you do trust Reddit to tell you which animal drugs from the farm store to take.

1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

As compared to straight people that take things seriously?

Well, the 'gay community' went through the AIDS crisis. 

It's been a while, but they went through much of the same crap that's going on now.

Science denial, various proposed restrictions (some helped, some didn't), lot of dead friends, the 'evolution' of scientific understanding of the disease and it's transmission, various treatments (of varying effectiveness), lots of 'quackery', all of that stuff.

I'm guessing that, in general, the gay community is a bit more receptive to the science, treatments that work vs 'magical cures', behavior modification (distancing, masks, ect), and overall understanding the reality of the pandemic than those that haven't been through what they've been through.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/08/06/1025553638/how-a-gay-community-helped-the-cdc-spot-a-covid-outbreak-and-learn-more-about-de

Gay men's relationship to public health has been "tempered by fire because of HIV," the CDC's Daskalakis says. "This is an awesome public health moment," he says. "It's a community that believes in science and public health stepping up to the plate."

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

....I'm guessing that, in general, the gay community is a bit more receptive to the science, treatments that work vs 'magical cures', behavior modification (distancing, masks, ect), and overall understanding the reality of the pandemic than those that haven't been through what they've been through.

1 hour ago, ryoder said:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/08/06/1025553638/how-a-gay-community-helped-the-cdc-spot-a-covid-outbreak-and-learn-more-about-de

Gay men's relationship to public health has been "tempered by fire because of HIV," the CDC's Daskalakis says. "This is an awesome public health moment," he says. "It's a community that believes in science and public health stepping up to the plate."

That appears to be accurate, so Joe was right.

The exception being transgender individuals who appear to have more negative interactions with the medical community. In addition Black-gay individuals lag other rates of vaccinations.

On 8/24/2021 at 3:22 AM, Westerly said:

At least there is one positive to Covid--it's pretty good at finding stupid people and exploiting their stupidity. 

Kind of like the last year of cumulative forum posts on the subject from certain posters.

Update to the Andre Jaque situation.

In ICU, on a ventilator. 

https://www.wbay.com/2021/08/25/report-sen-jacque-breathing-with-ventilator-while-hospitalized-covid-19/

Of course, there's 'no comment' from his office. Nor is there any word on his vaccination status. 

And, in a rather amusing development, the "Cyber Ninja" 'audit' of the Arizona election results from last November was supposed to be concluded and have results released on Monday.

It's been delayed. 

The CEO and two others (of five, so 60% of the team) are sick.
With Covid.
Go figure.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/arizona-election-audit-delayed-because-cyber-ninjas-caught-covid-19

15 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Update to the Andre Jaque situation.

In ICU, on a ventilator. 

https://www.wbay.com/2021/08/25/report-sen-jacque-breathing-with-ventilator-while-hospitalized-covid-19/

Of course, there's 'no comment' from his office. Nor is there any word on his vaccination status. 

Thoughts and prayers didn't work, then?

3 hours ago, ryoder said:

Nebraska seeking to hire new nurses from the bottom of the barrel:

State draws backlash after advertising nursing jobs with 'no mandated COVID-19 vaccination'

Any nurse stupid enough to refuse the vaccine deserves to live and work in Nebraska. Nebraska has a lot of cows, and it’s close to Colorado so there is that.

35 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Any nurse stupid enough to refuse the vaccine deserves to live and work in Nebraska. Nebraska has a lot of cows, and it’s close to Colorado so there is that.

Hi Ken,

Re:  Nebraska has a lot of cows

Maybe she took the cow pills ( they are all the rage ) and she considers herself safe.

Jerry Baumchen

Someone help me out here: If COVID-19 vaccinations are such a horrible imposition on our freedoms, then why has the anti-vax crowd not raised a big stink about the vaccination requirements to go to public school in the US?

(Scroll down to the bottom of the page to get the links to each state's requirements.)

State-by-State: Vaccinations Required for Public School Kindergarten

(edited)
3 hours ago, ryoder said:

Someone help me out here: If COVID-19 vaccinations are such a horrible imposition on our freedoms, then why has the anti-vax crowd not raised a big stink about the vaccination requirements to go to public school in the US?

(Scroll down to the bottom of the page to get the links to each state's requirements.)

State-by-State: Vaccinations Required for Public School Kindergarten

Pharma has had some pretty high profile controversies showing they are willing to kill 100s of thousands of people in the name of profit.  My two favorite: Vioxx and the Opioid Epidemic.  Remember safe and effective non addictive Oxycontin?  

When the Covid mRNA vaccine has been out a few decades like most of the vaccines on that list, maybe.  Assuming they work, which seems to be debatable [1].  Something like 300 kids have died from covid since the start of the pandemic.  About a thousand die of the flu every year--flu vaccines are not on that list.

Any 1.0 product has bugs.  Bugs in manufacture [2], dosing, environment.  Medicines in particular have populations of people that are more at risk/shouldn't take it.  Maybe you're excited to have children be a profit center and test bed for some Pfizer exec.  I'm not.

[1] https://www.thedailybeast.com/ultra-vaccinated-israels-debacle-is-a-dire-warning-to-america

[2] https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/japan-stops-use-of-1-63-million-moderna-doses-over-contamination-2518827

Edited by base698

(edited)
12 hours ago, ryoder said:

That's one thing I dont really agree with. You cant just go deducting employees' pays for various miscellaneous reasons as you see fit for arbitrary reasons. That's flat out illegal. Denying future promotion opportunities, non-contractual bonuses or future pay raises? Sure, that's all fair game. But at the end of the day an employee was offered a certain pay (which is contractual) at the beginning of their employment and you cannot lower that post-employment. Either you have to fire them or pay them what you promised. So make it all or nothing. Either full pay or you get fired. Lowering pay sounds like some CFO saying 'hey, I have an idea of how we can improve profits AND make it look like we're trying to do good'.

Edited by Westerly