5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

4 hours ago, ryoder said:

33yo Denver deputy who is anti-vaxxer, dies of COVID-19:

Sheriff's Deputy Who Posted Anti-Vaccine Content Dies of COVID

I won't be sending any thoughts/prayers:

Two Denver Sheriff Department deputies suspended for beating, squeezing inmate’s arms

Darwin will always prevail in the long run.

6 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Darwin makes his selections early in that run.

Easy. Just watch what the other Darwin recipients did - and don't do that.

Course, there are those creative fuckers who make up new shit - but, we kinda know who they are. :)  

On 5/24/2021 at 2:04 AM, kallend said:

And if they still hold out, let Darwin have the last word.

If only it were that simple, though.  The unvaccinated spur the variants, which could end up affecting us all. :/

This supports the suggestion that we'll all be getting annual vaccines along with our shots for influenza (or at a minimum, boosters for COVID every couple of years). 

52 minutes ago, kallend said:

It would be interesting to see if there's any overlap between those who think getting a shot is an infringement on their personal freedoms, and those who think all 18 year olds should be forced to do some kind of national service.

Or those who think everyone should be forced to stand during the national anthem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kallend said:

and those who think all 18 year olds should be forced to do some kind of national service.

Depends on how "National Service" is defined. I do not believe in a national "Military" service, but do believe there are numerous ways to serve those others and your country  more so than yourself. Peace Corps, AmeriCorps. NGO's, Food Centers, the local volunteer fire department and even college. You chose to take the path of college and how much have you done for others. That's what it's about - learning to care about your fellow man.

47 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Or those who think everyone should be forced to stand during the national anthem.

I don't think everyone should be forced to stand, but I don't believe in taking a knee as a form of protest should be done or revered either. 

4 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

I don't think everyone should be forced to stand, but I don't believe in taking a knee as a form of protest should be done or revered either. 

Simple solution: Stop cheapening the national anthem by dragging into sporting events which have nothing to do politics, or patriotism, or the nation.

• Like 2

(edited)
1 hour ago, nwt said:

In your opinion, why should the anthem be played at sporting events?

Good question. It started heavily after WWI and amplified again after WWII and ever since. Veterans go to sports events to feel a sense of home, tranquility, and patriotism.  Their families go with them.  I would even say (although I have no measurement other than qualitative) that most in the stands are veterans. And being around men & women who've put their butts on the line - not a great time to take a knee.   

EDIT: I've been following the notifications to me and not the thread. If we're going to continue this - I suggest another thread. Apologies to Gowlerk & the moderators for the thread drift. 

Edited by BIGUN

1 hour ago, BIGUN said:

I would even say (although I have no measurement other than qualitative) that most in the stands are veterans. And being around men & women who've put their butts on the line - not a great time to take a knee.   

So, how is asking someone to show concern for their fellow citizens by doing their part to stop the spread of a deadly pandemic any different? (masks, distancing, handwashing, and vaccinations all included)

4 hours ago, TriGirl said:

So, how is asking someone to show concern for their fellow citizens by doing their part to stop the spread of a deadly pandemic any different? (masks, distancing, handwashing, and vaccinations all included)

It's not and I've been a champion of those measures. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BIGUN said:

It's not and I've been a champion of those measures. 

How is asking people at a sporting event to show concern for their fellow citizens of a different skin colour getting killed by Law Enforcement at a significantly higher rate any different?

Weird to say that the predominantly black athletes on the field better show the respect for the veterans in the stands, but those same black athletes cannot ask for some respect in return.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, BIGUN said:

And being around men & women who've put their butts on the line - not a great time to take a knee.

Would it surprise you to learn that the person who asked Kaepernick to take a knee was a veteran?  Nate Boyer, a former Green Beret and NFL player, asked him to do that out of respect for the flag.  In his words:

"I suggested him taking a knee instead of sitting  . . .I thought kneeling was more respectful.   I mean, people kneel when they get knighted.   You kneel to propose to your wife, and you take a knee to pray.   And soldiers often take a knee in front of a fallen brother's grave to pay respects. So I thought, if anything, besides standing, that was the most respectful."

• Like 1