5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

On 4/22/2021 at 9:13 AM, ryoder said:

Why no one should be complacent just because they are vaccinated:

. . .

The massive surge in India is a problem for us too:

The more cases there are, the more likely it is that a random mutation will arise that is not recognized by the current vaccines.  While most mutations are harmless or benign, even if 1 in a million is a problem, the place with the most cases is where it is likely to happen.

Which is why it is in our best interest to supply vaccines to other countries.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, kallend said:

The massive surge in India is a problem for us too:

The more cases there are, the more likely it is that a random mutation will arise that is not recognized by the current vaccines.  While most mutations are harmless or benign, even if 1 in a million is a problem, the place with the most cases is where it is likely to happen.

What if they aren't Christians?

14 hours ago, kallend said:

We cant even supply vaccines to our own country. Might I remind you half of all Americans still dont have the vaccine. I'd say we have more pressing issues at hand.

2 hours ago, Westerly said:

We cant even supply vaccines to our own country. Might I remind you half of all Americans still dont have the vaccine. I'd say we have more pressing issues at hand.

Might I remind you that a number of counties (almost all of them in "red" states) are currently declining their full quota of vaccines because of insufficient demand.

31 minutes ago, kallend said:

Might I remind you that a number of counties (almost all of them in "red" states) are currently declining their full quota of vaccines because of insufficient demand.

This. What John is saying is a good example of where "America First" is a short-term gain at a likely long-term loss. Yes, we can protect "our" people first, but the sooner we have at least spotty vaccination in the world, the slower transmission will be, and the fewer opportunities there will be for mutation.

It's kind of like the guy in the apartment complex who doesn't want to contribute to a bedbug fund, because his apartment isn't the worst. Trust me, they'll get in, or he'll spend so much more effort keeping them out because they're close that it would have been easier and cheaper to contribute to the fund in the first place.

Wendy P.

• Like 2

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opinions/indias-sudden-coronavirus-wave-is-not-a-far-away-problem/2021/04/23/f363bda2-a3a3-11eb-85fc-06664ff4489d_story.html

Any transmission or infection anywhere is a spin of the roulette wheel for a possible new, more dangerous variant. Most such mutations are insignificant and disappear. But as the past few months have demonstrated with the variant first detected in Britain, a significant change in the genome can lead to rapid spread and more severe disease. India’s out-of-control catastrophe — by its sheer scale — is a potential pressure cooker for still more variants. The one that is already taking off, B.1.617, includes two mutations seen separately in earlier variants but never together in the same one. The mutations are in key parts of the virus genetic code forming the spike protein and the mechanism it uses to infect a human cell. This variant appears to be one factor powering the massive increase in daily new cases. It is not yet clear how well vaccines protect against it, or whether it will spread beyond India. But it is worth recalling that when the British variant first showed up in London and Kent, it was almost nonexistent in the United States; in a matter of months it has gained a major foothold. A South African variant has been less so. Can India, population 1.3 billion, be isolated? Not easily. Almost certainly, vaccines will have to be tweaked to adapt.

India’s predicament is staggering. In mid-February its daily new infections were about 10,000, and it seemed to have brought the pandemic almost to a close. The health minister, Harsh Vardhan, said in March that the country had entered the “endgame.” This week, the outbreak has topped 300,000 new cases a day, and the growth shows no signs of slowing. On Thursday, India’s 332,518 new cases accounted for 37 percent of the world’s total 894,043 new cases.

. . . .

India has fully vaccinated only 1.4 percent of its people; 8.3 percent have been partially vaccinated.

Let’s hope all of India can seize the moment and begin to reverse the course of this disaster. India is not a faraway problem. In pandemic time and distance, every place is nearby.

4 minutes ago, kallend said:

...But it is worth recalling that when the British variant first showed up in London and Kent, it was almost nonexistent in the United States; in a matter of months it has gained a major foothold. A South African variant has been less so...

Well, keep in mind that the Brit variant was almost certainly here well before it was found.

The testing for specific variants in the US was pretty poor at that time.
It's improved some, but not a whole lot.

27 minutes ago, kallend said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opinions/indias-sudden-coronavirus-wave-is-not-a-far-away-problem/2021/04/23/f363bda2-a3a3-11eb-85fc-06664ff4489d_story.html

Any transmission or infection anywhere is a spin of the roulette wheel for a possible new, more dangerous variant..... In pandemic time and distance, every place is nearby.

Soon the new penta and hepta-Indian mutated variants will be attending a GOP gathering. Yes, god and FOX sure does work in mysterious ways.

Perhaps the worry about electoral reforms to discourage democratic district voting will become moot.

Health officials in states including West Virginia, North Carolina and Pennsylvania have said that supply is already exceeding demand, and their new challenge is combating vaccine hesitancy.

While it’s difficult to determine exactly how many vials of vaccines are sitting unused across the United States, data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention indicates that a dozen states are administering less than three-quarters of the doses they receive.

1 hour ago, kallend said:

Health officials in states including West Virginia, North Carolina and Pennsylvania have said that supply is already exceeding demand, and their new challenge is combating vaccine hesitancy.

While it’s difficult to determine exactly how many vials of vaccines are sitting unused across the United States, data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention indicates that a dozen states are administering less than three-quarters of the doses they receive.

Just yesterday I had a cab driver, as he was eating a candy bar, tell me he wasn't getting the vaccine because he didn't know what they put in it. 

1 minute ago, JoeWeber said:

Just yesterday I had a cab driver, as he was eating a candy bar, tell me he wasn't getting the vaccine because he didn't know what they put in it. 

I just tell them they put "magic" in it. Who's afraid of magic? It's everywhere.

(edited)
1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

Two separate instances; I'm talking with fathers with daughters the age of mine.

Have you gotten the Vaccine yet?

"No. Not sure I'm going to."

"Why is that?

"Not sure what's in it."

Change the subject. Wait a bit.

"Hey, my daughter's getting to that age of getting the HPV vaccine; are your daughters going to get it?

"YEAH!"

"Know what's in it?" 

Sometimes I get a kick out of that fucked-up look someone gets on their face.  

Edited by BIGUN

13 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Two separate instances; I'm talking with fathers with daughters the age of mine.

Have you gotten the Vaccine yet?

"No. Not sure I'm going to."

"Why is that?

"Not sure what's in it."

Change the subject. Wait a bit.

"Hey, my daughter's getting to that age of getting the HPV vaccine; are your daughters going to get it?

"YEAH!"

"Know what's in it?" 

Sometimes I get a kick out of that fucked-up look someone gets on their face.  

Their sons should be getting it too BTW. But nice one there on your part.