5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

3 hours ago, Westerly said:

I have always wondered what the point is in going on a cruise. Like, lets pay a ton of money to be stuck on a boat. If you really like boats join the fucking Navy. Then they will pay you to be on a boat. Seems kind of stupid to me.

There are cruises and then there are cruises.  We've done the larger ships.  it was OK.  If you want small crowds and no screaming kids this the way to go.

Star_Clippers_web_BANNER_w1600_h510_v09

5 hours ago, kallend said:

Thank you.

We're going on a cruise in November/December, our first one.

It starts in Ushuaia (world's most southerly city) and goes to the Falkland Islands, South Georgia, and the Antarctic peninsular for the total solar eclipse on December 4, with whale and penguin watching along the way.  It's organized by National Geographic.

I guess we'll be in the company of a lot of other stupid people.

Cheap shot, John, and you know it.

(edited)
5 hours ago, kallend said:

I guess we'll be in the company of a lot of other stupid people.

Likely you will find some on the cruise. But at least they will be well heeled stupid people. Organized by National Geographic a division of Disney Co. , or The National Geographic Society? Nat Geo ain't what it used to be. Not that much cachet anymore.

Edited by gowlerk

7 hours ago, Westerly said:

I have always wondered what the point is in going on a cruise. Like, lets pay a ton of money to be stuck on a boat. If you really like boats join the fucking Navy. Then they will pay you to be on a boat. Seems kind of stupid to me.

Well, a lot of us pay a ton of money for only half an airplane ride.  Seems kind of stupid.  If you really like jumping out of airplanes, join the fucking Army.  Then they will pay you to jump out of airplanes.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, billvon said:

Well, a lot of us pay a ton of money for only half an airplane ride.  Seems kind of stupid.  If you really like jumping out of airplanes, join the fucking Army.  Then they will pay you to jump out of airplanes.

Why would someone limit themselves to a single cardinal direction. Why not NorthSouthEastWesterly?

1 hour ago, ryoder said:

The REALLY funny (and stupid) part of this is that a week or so ago, that fool posted a video criticizing the production companies that are refusing to put on large shows. The main reason is because the insurance companies won't cover them right now.

During the video, Nugent asked "Why didn't we lock down for Covid 1 through 18?" 

Really. He's THAT ignorant.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/hey-ted-nugent-this-is-what-covid-19-means-and-no-its-not-the-19th-coronavirus-11618259374

He's also 72, so he's at serious risk with Covid symptoms. 

But he'll be fine. I'm sure.
He claims Covid is all a scam and a fraud, so he's just imagining his symptoms.

5 hours ago, wmw999 said:

We’re doing the classic Antarctica one in December. 
I’ve actually been on two (gifts from my father); the first was one of the best vacations in my life. It was  a sailing ship in the Caribbean during the 1997 solar eclipse. Small ship, so we went to all the ports that don’t have giant docks. We saw whales and the Montserrat eruption, too. 
The second (supposed to be a Mayan ruins trip) was a complete snoozer, exactly what I’d’ve thought a cruise would be like until I’d done the first one. So yeah, not my thing, but if you choose wisely, it can be awesome. 
Wendy P. 

Hi Wendy,

Re:  It was  a sailing ship in the Caribbean

Was it the Windjammer Barefoot outfit?

Jerry Baumchen

21 hours ago, billvon said:

If you really like jumping out of airplanes, join the fucking Army.  Then they will pay you to jump out of airplanes.

Yeah, but it's hard money to make; and the toll on your body in later years... sheesh. 

28 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Yeah, but it's hard money to make; and the toll on your body in later years... sheesh. 

So even public DZO's are assholes? Figures. Hey, if we all own the Army then we're all DZO's right? That means we're all, well, you know.

10 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

So even public DZO's are assholes? Figures. Hey, if we all own the Army then we're all DZO's right? That means we're all, well, you know.

2 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Huh? 

Follow the rather convoluted logic chain.

All DZOs are assholes.
The Army has a really big DZ.
The Army is 'owned' by the public.
Therefore, the entire public is a DZO.
Therefore, the entire public is an...

North Dakota now has enough vaccine available that they will make it available to Canadian essential workers (mostly truckers) who cross from Manitoba. I'm getting my first shot of Pfizer on Friday in Winnipeg, but likely my second will come from this program.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-north-dakota-vaccine-essential-workers-1.5994519

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Follow the rather convoluted logic chain.

All DZOs are assholes.
The Army has a really big DZ.
The Army is 'owned' by the public.
Therefore, the entire public is a DZO.
Therefore, the entire public is an...

Ahh. OK. Except the Army believes the whole world is a DZ, therefore . . :)  I was wondering if I hadn't had enough coffee or if Joe was having sunrise Mimosas on the beach again. 

12 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

North Dakota now has enough vaccine available that they will make it available to Canadian essential workers (mostly truckers) who cross from Manitoba. I'm getting my first shot of Pfizer on Friday in Winnipeg, but likely my second will come from this program.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-north-dakota-vaccine-essential-workers-1.5994519

That's fantastic. Tomorrow I am one month post my second Pfizer shot. I'm not cavalier about anything but it's been a joy to be able to have pretty normal dinners with others who are fully vaccinated. The best bit by far was when my favorite niece told her two daughters to give me a hug when I was home. The things you take for granted.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Whoa! So Bill Gates is expanding his chip-tracking into Canada!

• Like 1

On 4/20/2021 at 5:37 AM, wmw999 said:

. . . 

It was  a sailing ship in the Caribbean during the 1997 solar eclipse. Small ship, so we went to all the ports that don’t have giant docks. We saw whales and the Montserrat eruption, too. 
. . .

Wendy P. 

We did a week on a schooner in the Bahamas in 2019, but I didn't think of it as a "cruise" since we had to haul on ropes, etc, as deck hands.

(edited)
10 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Makes sense. North Dakota was also the same state that refused to issue a mask mandate when they had the highest concentration of Covid infections of any place on the planet. More than 1% of the entire states population was getting infected every week. Covid shots are still really difficult to get. There are plenty of people who have been trying to get one since they were first available and they STILL havent been able to actually get an appointment.

north Dakota is the Florida of the north...

Edited by Westerly

10 hours ago, kallend said:

We did a week on a schooner in the Bahamas in 2019, but I didn't think of it as a "cruise" since we had to haul on ropes, etc, as deck hands.

Good on ya old man.  At my age the only thing I'm pulling is my stool a little closer to the bar.

Why no one should be complacent just because they are vaccinated:

An unvaccinated worker set off an outbreak at a U.S. nursing home where most residents were immunized.

Altogether, 26 facility residents were infected, including 18 who had been vaccinated, and 20 health care personnel were infected, including four who had been vaccinated. Two unvaccinated residents also died.

The report underscores the importance of vaccinating both nursing home residents and health care workers who go in and out of the sites, the authors said. While 90 percent of the 83 residents at the Kentucky nursing home had been vaccinated, only half of the 116 employees had been vaccinated when the outbreak was identified in March of this year.

• Like 1