5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

4 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

It now looks like the vaccine supply in the US is poised to take off. By the end of March there will be enough that capacity to administer the shots to people will become the most limiting factor. Most likely by the end of April lack of willing participants will take over that role. It appears Canada is likely to be about 30 days behind that curve.

Yes, this should get things moving:

Biden to announce ‘historic partnership’: Merck will help make Johnson & Johnson coronavirus vaccine, officials say

1 hour ago, tonyhays said:

Now that's how you make deals

I can just imagine Trump's approach to this:

Tell Merck to do it.  Then tweet how you are the best deal maker ever.

Merck says no, J+J is a competitor.  Then tweet about how Merck hates America.  "They are German you know!"

Watch TV.

Go golfing.

7 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

No disrespect, Ken, but I look forward to the day when this thread drops off the first page. 

It will probably be awhile before that happens. But things will improve relatively soon. Pandemics generally last about two years. This one will last about 18 months. At least in the western world. But Covid in some form will probably be with us for the rest of my life at least. I can always start a new thread to be on the front page. Or I could just start posting about children shooting themselves some more.

11 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

It will probably be awhile before that happens. But things will improve relatively soon. Pandemics generally last about two years. This one will last about 18 months. At least in the western world. But Covid in some form will probably be with us for the rest of my life at least. I can always start a new thread to be on the front page. Or I could just start posting about children shooting themselves some more.

In April, it’ll disappear. 

1 minute ago, nwt said:

i thought we were just riffing off trumpisms

Shit, I did not look closely enough at who was commenting. I get it now. However pandemics in the past have done weird stuff like that occasionally. But we have more knowledge now and there is greater predictability. The first SARS and MERS were both frightful and related to this virus. And did unexpectedly stop spreading.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

And the time frame between the three corona virus outbreaks has been shortening, which doesn't bode well for future outbreaks.

Yes, yearly or bi-yearly vaccination booster shots may become a thing. Fortunately mRNA technology is adaptable and seems likely to be up to the job.

23 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Yes, yearly or bi-yearly vaccination booster shots may become a thing. Fortunately mRNA technology is adaptable and seems likely to be up to the job.

Yes. I came across an article a month or so ago, and while the primary focus of it was that they had basically figured out what the vaccine would 'look like' within a couple weeks of getting the genetic makeup of the virus cataloged, there was a secondary aspect that acknowledged we would likely be seeing variants and mutations for some time to come. But since the original vaccine had been approved, the minor variations, 'tweaks' if you will, that would be needed to protect against the new strains would have a much easier & faster approval process.

On 2/22/2021 at 9:35 PM, 20kN said:

I had an adverse reaction to the 2nd shot of the Monderna product. I woke up with chest pain and tachycardia with a resting HR of 120. That was extremely abnormal for me as I run on a daily basis and have a low resting HR (50 to 65 most of the time). I took an ECG and it was sinus tachycardia with no arrhythmia and I had just completed a full cardio workup in the months prior with excellent results so I know there was nothing actually wrong with my heart. It was just a weird experience. The next morning things were back to normal and I haven't had any issues since. I have never had a negative reaction to any other vaccine before and I have taken tons of them. That was a very strange and extremely unusual experience for me though.

A 20 something Paramedic (prime of his life/healthy guy) I used to work with got the Covid early on. He's currently lucky to still be alive, with a resting HR of 100+ and current medications used to counteract are said to be not great...  Glad your good.  

A physician friend of mine said while it's very, very, anecdotal, drinking lots of water (16 oz) both before and after the shot seems to make the reaction a little easier -- or at least everyone he's suggested it to hasn't had a significant reaction.

Wendy P.

1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

A physician friend of mine said while it's very, very, anecdotal, drinking lots of water (16 oz) both before and after the shot seems to make the reaction a little easier -- or at least everyone he's suggested it to hasn't had a significant reaction.

Wendy P.

I'm 48 hours since the Pfizer jab. No problemo.

3 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Wendy P.

IDK, I had about 24 oz or so of high gravity beer which is mostly water and I didn't feel so great.

• Like 1