5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

7 hours ago, kallend said:

We wouldn't want to give vaccine to the wrong people now, would we?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/18/politics/manatee-county-vaccine/index.html

Y'know, at this point, if we have a way to get more vaccines into more people more quickly, we should just do it, and worry about how it looks later.

7 hours ago, kallend said:

We wouldn't want to give vaccine to the wrong people now, would we?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/18/politics/manatee-county-vaccine/index.html

Oh, it's OK to give them to the wrong people, as long as the right people get them first. ALL of the right people, because we know that if just one doesn't get a vaccine before the convicts and others start getting them, it's going to be a major story on OAN and Fox.

Wendy P.

25 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

ALL of the right people, because we know that if just one doesn't get a vaccine before the convicts and others start getting them, it's going to be a major story on OAN and Fox.

Corrections Canada started vaccinating some federal prisoners Jan. 8. There was a small ripple of protest I saw on FB, but it died quickly when people started pointing out how vulnerable they and their guards are.

20 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Yeah, it really should come down to a greatest-good-greatest-number thing, with consideration being given to people that the state is entirely responsible for, like prisoners and state hospital patients.

Wendy P.

Illinois is supposed to be vaccinating inmates now under phase 1b

40 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Corrections Canada started vaccinating some federal prisoners Jan. 8. There was a small ripple of protest I saw on FB, but it died quickly when people started pointing out how vulnerable they and their guards are.

And the delivery people, and the repair people who work there, and the clerical help, and the lawyers who meet with prisoners, and the doctors who take care of them, and the ambulance crews and hospitals if they get so sick they have to be transported . . . .

38 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

I got my first vaccination this afternoon.  I have to say it was well organized.

And, the shot was such a nothingburger that she had to tell me that she had finished.

Same experience. Prepared to be down for 8-12 hours with the second shot. 

43 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi folks,

I got my first vaccination this afternoon.  I have to say it was well organized.

And, the shot was such a nothingburger that she had to tell me that she had finished.

And, that was from a nurse-trainee.

Jerry Baumchen

Are you feeling strong yet?

3 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Keith,

Ironically, on tonite's local news they are saying that the 2nd dose of either vaccine is exactly the same as the 1st vaccine.  It is not a lesser or different formulation.

Jerry Baumchen

Correct, but your immune system is not the same when you get the 2nd shot.  It's already been sensitized.

• Like 2

Study of Israeli vaccination program (500,000 people analyzed) shows that the Pfizer vaccine is 91% effective, 21 days after the first dose, and flat after that.

Interestingly, in the 0-8 days after vaccination, the likelihood of getting infected is about double that pre-vaccine.  This is likely due to behavior, and people not realizing that it takes ~14 days to develop immunity so going out, skipping masks, etc.

Nearly half of Israelis have had one dose, and ~34% are fully vaccinated.

2 hours ago, kallend said:

Correct, but your immune system is not the same when you get the 2nd shot.  It's already been sensitized.

One of the differences between Pfizer and Moderna is the delay between doses; 3 weeks for Pfizer, 4 for Moderna. That might make a difference in the immune system, too. The slight difference probably simply indicates what they decided was a good first try -- no way there was time for the manufacturers to "dial it in." And no point, with such high effectiveness.

Wendy P.

14 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Keith,

My daughter, my guru in all of this, says, that since I got the Pfizer vaccine, I should feel OK after the 2nd shot.

Time will tell,

Jerry Baumchen

I'd be skeptical. Here is a 6.5 minute video on the topic.

Edited by ryoder

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

This piece was posted today on the CBC News website. It speculates that parts of the US may be close to some version of "herd immunity".

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/us-seeing-herd-immunity-over-the-horizon-1.5921179

They thought that about the city of Manaus, in Brazil, last September; it had a terrible first wave, and lots of noncompliance. But it's really bad again; based on that, I wouldn't count on redneck "herd immunity" (let them get sick).

Wendy P.

1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

They thought that about the city of Manaus, in Brazil, last September; it had a terrible first wave, and lots of noncompliance. But it's really bad again; based on that, I wouldn't count on redneck "herd immunity" (let them get sick).

Wendy P.

The Lancet has some details about that situation.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)00183-5/fulltext

On 2/19/2021 at 4:58 PM, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Keith,

My daughter, my guru in all of this, says, that since I got the Pfizer vaccine, I should feel OK after the 2nd shot.

Time will tell,

Jerry Baumchen

There’s some anecdotal evidence coming out of my friends in the uk who are working in the vaccine Programme that the reactions with the astra-Zeneca seem worse after the first shot, while those with Pfizer seem worse after the second.

There’s a lot of variability from person to person though.

More data that a single dose of vaccine gives excellent protection (Moderna and Pfizer–BioNTech both ~92% or so after two weeks), so that it would probably be best to delay 2nd shots in order to get more people the initial vaccination.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJMc2036242?articleTools=true

Not known how long the protection lasts without the booster shot (2nd dose), but the Israeli data seems to show at least 9 weeks - and that is all the data they have so far.