5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

(edited)
7 hours ago, ryoder said:

The UK Government (and others) have been testing the waste water in sewage to get early warning to local outbreaks. Less invasive but same science. I suppose once you find a local spike then you test individuals by whatever method deemed best. 

If I had to go and get tested then I would rather get the mouth or nose swab rather than stick my arse out the car window to get probed. 

Forgot the links

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/sewage-signals-early-warning-of-coronavirus-outbreaks

MIT explaining how it works

Edited by ScottishJohn

15 hours ago, kallend said:

I got vaccinated 2 weeks ago because someone canceled just before the clinic closed and they didn't want to discard the shot, and I happened to be there for another reason.

Apparently the local bureaucrats don't like that.  Now they've issued orders that no-one not on the list can get the shot.  They would prefer it to be discarded.

"People unclear on the concept" comes to mind.

Yet in Oregon:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/01/28/oregon-snowstorm-vaccine-traffic-covid/

Jan. 28, 2021 at 5:42 a.m. CST
After a day of giving coronavirus vaccinations, Michael Weber and his team were headed back to Grants Pass, Ore., to administer their last doses on Tuesday when traffic suddenly came to a halt. Authorities had closed the snow-covered highway because of a car accident, and it would be hours before traffic could resume.

But Weber and his team of 20 staff members and volunteers didn’t have that much time to use the six Moderna doses they had left before the vaccines expired.

That’s when Weber had an idea: If he couldn’t make it to the clinic on time, he could bring the clinic to six other drivers stranded on the highway.

“I decided to start going door-to-door, car-to-car, offering” the vaccine, Weber, who is Josephine County’s public health director, told The Washington Post on Wednesday night.

Well, this is interesting. And not in a good way.

There've been a couple mutation variants that developed.
The one first found in the UK (may or may not have come from there) spread a lot more easily.

Now there's one that first appeared in Manaus, Brazil. 
There are some indications that it has mutated to the point that it 'evades' the antibodies the body develops in response to the main variant (either having the disease or getting the vaccine).

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2021/01/27/961108577/why-scientists-are-very-worried-about-the-variant-from-brazil?utm_campaign=npr&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews&utm_source=facebook.com&fbclid=IwAR3JZR28GEKBogRQmRO8un2rgjEmVYKJGFL9sY5ncAIQ7LMwMzADCbOG2p0

Nothing's been confirmed yet, but initial indications are concerning.
And yes, it's here in the US.

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Now there's one that first appeared in Manaus, Brazil. 
There are some indications that it has mutated to the point that it 'evades' the antibodies the body develops in response to the main variant (either having the disease or getting the vaccine).

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2021/01/27/961108577/why-scientists-are-very-worried-about-the-variant-from-brazil?utm_campaign=npr&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews&utm_source=facebook.com&fbclid=IwAR3JZR28GEKBogRQmRO8un2rgjEmVYKJGFL9sY5ncAIQ7LMwMzADCbOG2p0

A friend of mine from elementary school has family in Manaus (well, just her son-in-law now, as the rest of the family went south to escape Manaus). He says it's pretty much as bad as the reports make it seem.

Wendy P.

2 hours ago, wmw999 said:

A friend of mine from elementary school has family in Manaus (well, just her son-in-law now, as the rest of the family went south to escape Manaus). He says it's pretty much as bad as the reports make it seem.

Wendy P.

Hi Wendy,

Well, what else would you expect from what the Brazilian President has been saying?

Jerry Baumchen

So a bunch of Trump supporters got together and tried to stop vaccinations at Dodger Stadium.  They blocked the entrance for an hour and shut down the site while police tried to get them out of the way.  Their signs read: 

Save Your Soul TURN BACK NOW
CNN IS LYING TO YOU
RECALL GAVIN NEWSOM
TAKE OFF YOUR MASK

It was a group of Trump supporters who were careful to hide this fact.  Organizers sent a message out on social media that asked Trump supporters to show up for the "Scamdemic Protest/March" but also said "please refrain from wearing Trump/MAGA attire as we want our statement to resonate with the sheeple. No flags but informational signs only.  This is a sharing information protest and march against everything COVID, Vaccine, PCR Tests, Lockdowns, Masks, Fauci, Gates, Newsom, China, digital tracking, etc."

Trump is the brand that keeps on giving.  You thought he couldn't cause any more deaths just because he was out of office?

Interesting side note is that no one was arrested.  Imagine how this would have turned out if it was BLM.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dodger-stadiums-covid-19-vaccination-site-shut-down-after-protesters-gather-at-entrance/ar-BB1deHDY?fbclid=IwAR3ghK1zq2dyx47SGZUKYIsZvV7leHgPizVDtlm58gqn_vQPgBwHwdeHZzY

(edited)

Living in one of the best managed places in the world for Covid we have just had our first case in 10 months. We are immediately back into full lockdown for 5 days. 
For all the complaints, we have been affected very little. The economy is booming it is next to impossible to get a rental property as the less than 1% vacancy rate and house prices set to rise by up to 15% this year.

Our local government and community is a model of how this should be managed. I just hope that because we had gone back to “normal” life that we don’t have an outbreak.

Edited by nigel99
  • Like 1

(edited)
On 1/27/2021 at 9:10 AM, RobertMBlevins said:

The wife and I managed to get an appointment for the Moderna vaccine for Feb 3 through a hospital pharmacy about twenty miles from home. (Next Wednesday) Slots were assigned online and filled up so fast that by the time I did the second appt. for myself, everything was filled for five hours in between. (In other words, about 30 slots were filled in the two minutes it took me to make HER appointment first.) This means our appt's are six hours apart on the same day. A couple of minutes later, ALL slots were gone right into March. I'm surprised the server didn't crash. 

Still, no one here is complaining. We will do her appointment at 10:20 AM and then go watch a movie until mine comes up at 4:20 PM. 

Wait...movie houses are closed. Oh, well. We will just have a long dinner at a local restaurant. Uh...wait. Hold on that too. :/

Jokes aside, we feel lucky enough. Would you believe we just drive around for a few hours? I think they haven't shut that down quite yet. But the funny thing is once you get an appointment, you also get more paranoid that you could get sick at the last minute before your appointment comes. It kind of feels like waiting around for a seat on a lifeboat while the ship sinks. Or something like that. Wife went out and spent fifty bucks on some high end masks. 

Wife just told me this: "We can't just drive around, Robert. What if your truck breaks down somewhere? You will miss the appointment..."

Shit. Looks like the car radio and the hospital parking lot for me. Not complaining about that either. 

I would suggest that you mention during your wife’s appointment that your appointment is six hours later, and describe why. I give it an even chance that they may just take you at the same time.

Good luck, and let us know what happens!

Edited by TriGirl
ETA: take a book, just in case!

However does a guy like this manage to graduate from pharmacy school?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/02/01/wisconsin-pharmacist-vaccine-flatearth/

Wisconsin pharmacist who destroyed more than 500 vaccine doses believes Earth is flat, FBI says

(Same way as loony Qanon believers get elected to Congress, I suppose)

4 hours ago, kallend said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/02/01/wisconsin-pharmacist-vaccine-flatearth/

Wisconsin pharmacist who destroyed more than 500 vaccine doses believes Earth is flat, FBI says

Pretty damaging hit on your chosen perfession perfesser.

7 hours ago, kallend said:

Same way they graduate from Harvard and Yale and......Oxford, I'm thinking.

3 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Since it takes a 4 year degree and then another 4 years of schooling I'd say someone must have taught him.  I'm thinking they didn't do a very good job.

Depends on a few things, but it can be done in 6 years.

The schooling is pretty technical and specialized. Lots of chemistry. 

It's quite possible for him to have passed all of his classes while still having these utterly ludicrous and irrational beliefs (flat earth, imminent SHTF, ect). 
He would likely not have shared a whole lot of that sort of crap in the classrooms. He would have known it wouldn't go over very well.

It's also possible he 'woke' to those beliefs after finishing school. 

Without more info, it's really hard to say.

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

It's quite possible for him to have passed all of his classes while still having these utterly ludicrous and irrational beliefs (flat earth, imminent SHTF, ect). 

Guy Amy knew in medical school was in class with her one day and they were discussing the evolution of antibiotic resistance in hospitals.  He turned to her and said "and they expect us to believe all this 'evolution' stuff?"  She couldn't think of a reply.

Which reminds me of a joke.  What do you call the guy who graduates last in his class at medical school?

"Doctor."

18 hours ago, billvon said:

Which reminds me of a joke.  What do you call the guy who graduates last in his class at medical school?

"Doctor."

Yea, and most med schools require a GPA of 3.2 to graduate at all, so even those who are last in their class are still better than most students studying other fields.