5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

14 hours ago, Westerly said:

billvon literally just said that he is all for taking short cuts and administering the doses incorrectly and that's cool with everyone.

That is not what he said. he said that is a possible outcome. The other outcome is that the manufacturers deliver on time, a timeline they have agreed to themselves.

14 hours ago, Westerly said:

Says the guy who literally just got done doing exactly that. billvon literally just said that he is all for taking short cuts and administering the doses incorrectly and that's cool with everyone.

I didn't say anything like that.  Quit with the strawmen.

(edited)
4 hours ago, billvon said:

I didn't say anything like that.  Quit with the strawmen.

Fair enough, you're right. But your idea could lead to that, which is the same end result.

Regarding the data. I looked at those tables. They show maybe an effectiveness of about 50% with one shot, but it wasent tested much. Considering half of the USA wont even take it in the first place, that would leave us with a vaccine that is only providing a 25% effective rate. In other words, no vaccine at all. That is assuming that the manufactures dont come through and deliver the 2nd shot on time, which is a very high probability I think. This is the largest logistical task of modern times and we want to make it even more complicated--I think failure is a virtual guarantee at that point.

Edited by Westerly

6 minutes ago, Westerly said:

Regarding the data. I looked at those tables. They show maybe an effectiveness of about 50% with one shot, but it wasent tested much. Considering half of the USA wont even take it in the first place, that would leave us with a vaccine that is only providing a 25% effective rate.

No one buys into that plan.

On 3/14/2020 at 6:04 AM, BIGUN said:

A study in the UK found no difference in mortality for hospitalized patients receiving convalescent plasma.  i.e., just as many patients died.   It may be that, if it were administered earlier (before they got so sick), it would help.  It's not that widely available or cheap, so routine administering upon positive test isn't going to happen anyway, so that is academic.

11 hours ago, headoverheels said:

UK found no difference in mortality for hospitalized patients receiving convalescent plasma

This was almost a year ago and still today Doctors are trying just about anything to save lives. Sounds like the new protocol is monoclonal antibodies and ivermectin. At this point trying anything is on an individual case basis and what seems to work best for that particular person. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But, God bless the healthcare professionals for trying. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

This was almost a year ago and still today Doctors are trying just about anything to save lives. Sounds like the new protocol is monoclonal antibodies and ivermectin. At this point trying anything is on an individual case basis and what seems to work best for that particular person. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But, God bless the healthcare professionals for trying. 

Sometimes a clearly-defined mission really helps — they’re trying to save lives and preserve hospital capacity. The vast majority really don’t care about politics as it intersects their real job. 
That’s also true of a lot of election workers, a lot of police, and even programmers. 

Wendy P. 

• Like 2

New York State had been allotted 300,000 doses of vaccine per week.  There are 3.2 million people eligible now.  That is a little over 10 weeks to vaccinate them, the Governor said up to 14 weeks.  I saw on the news Monday night that the Governor wrote a letter to Pfizer (a New York corporation) asking to buy the vaccine directly from them and not wait for the Government to distribute it.  I hope that happens, I have a reservation for April 6 but I  don't want have to wait that long.

1 hour ago, Westerly said:

At the rate of current vaccination, we should complete everyone right around the time COVID-22 comes out.

Yes, but why are you so pessimistic? The current rate is just the beginning of a huge undertaking. Personally I see the progress that has been made so far as a near miracle and the outlook is for an unprecedented victory for humanity. Not only that but the mRNA technology is going to unleash further vaccines and other therapeutics. 

3 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Yes, but why are you so pessimistic?

Because history is a pretty clear indicator of the future. Name anything that we've done during this pandemic that hasent failed on an epic scale other than develop the vaccine? The entirety of all aspects of everything related to this pandemic has been a joke. It's been used as a political front to create divide which has resulted in countless deaths. We haven't gotten a single thing right since this started.

2 minutes ago, Westerly said:

Because history is a pretty clear indicator of the future. Name anything that we've done during this pandemic that hasent failed on an epic scale other than develop the vaccine? The entirety of all aspects of everything related to this pandemic has been a joke. It's been used as a political front to create divide which has resulted in countless deaths. We haven't gotten a single thing right since this started.

Well, you are American so I guess that explains some of your cynicism. It is not exactly the same here, in some aspects it's similar.

Cheap antiparasitic could cut chance of Covid-19 deaths by up to 75%

A cheap, off-patent antiparasitic drug has been shown to have a significant effect in reducing mortality in patients with moderate to severe Covid-19.

Researchers have hailed the preliminary finding as a pivotal step towards broadening the arsenal of drugs used against the disease.

The University of Liverpool’s Andrew Hill and others carried out a meta-analytical breakdown of 18 studies that found that ivermectin was associated with reduced inflammation and a faster elimination of Sars-Cov-2, the virus that causes Covid-19.

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEMYAPYPy3bqgYVC3pxQjI6MqGAgEKg8IACoHCAow-4fWBzD4z0gw_fCpBg?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

https://www.ft.com/content/e7cb76fc-da98-4a31-9c1f-926c58349c84 

Notes:

Evidently you only get one chance to read it before the javascript demon takes you to a subscription page.

9 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Cheap antiparasitic could cut chance of Covid-19 deaths by up to 75%

A cheap, off-patent antiparasitic drug has been shown to have a significant effect in reducing mortality in patients with moderate to severe Covid-19.

Researchers have hailed the preliminary finding as a pivotal step towards broadening the arsenal of drugs used against the disease.

The University of Liverpool’s Andrew Hill and others carried out a meta-analytical breakdown of 18 studies that found that ivermectin was associated with reduced inflammation and a faster elimination of Sars-Cov-2, the virus that causes Covid-19.

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEMYAPYPy3bqgYVC3pxQjI6MqGAgEKg8IACoHCAow-4fWBzD4z0gw_fCpBg?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

https://www.ft.com/content/e7cb76fc-da98-4a31-9c1f-926c58349c84 

Notes:

Evidently you only get one chance to read it before the javascript demon takes you to a subscription page.

Beautiful. So was the discovery made before or after the poor bastard with Covid caught the crabs?

After seeing what my buddy went thru just recently, I'm for trying anything. He spent 21 days off and on the ventilator and then the last two days at 100% of the time until his wife could make that grim decision. It is not the way I would want to go out. 

3 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

After seeing what my buddy went thru just recently, I'm for trying anything. He spent 21 days off and on the ventilator and then the last two days at 100% of the time until his wife could make that grim decision. It is not the way I would want to go out. 

It sounds as if this has been in use since December. Covid isn't a joke and it shouldn't take direct anecdotes for people to wake up. Yet even now people are getting lackadaisical about safe procedures.

How old was you buddy?

• Like 1

Friends of mine in Brazil have been talking about ivermectin for quite awhile, actually. But most of my friends are my age, and are far more interested in avoiding COVID entirely than in making it better when/if they get it. That's kind of where I am, too.

Without specific dosing information and access to testing, a treatment for mild COVID that requires a doctor's visit has been impractical, simply because no one would see you until/unless you were really sick. In the US, I doubt any doctors would prescribe ivermectin over the phone for suspected COVID; just too risky

Wendy P.

4 hours ago, BIGUN said:

I am sorry for your loss.

• Like 1

(edited)
On 1/20/2021 at 7:49 AM, Phil1111 said:

How old was you buddy?

He had just turned 65 and had a couple of serious comorbidities. We were all so proud of him. In August, he went back to his original AA meeting place to receive and accept his 40 year chip. He was a man of great intestinal fortitude. I spoke with him ten minutes before he went on the ventilator. "Cheese" you need to use that same fortitude you have with Alcohol to get thru this. You can do this. He had a sense that he wasn't going to come out of this and he didn't. Sorry, I ramble.      

Edited by BIGUN
Please wear a fucking mask. If you can wear undies; you can wear a mask.
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

He had just turned 65 and had a couple of serious comorbidities. We were all so proud of him. In August, he went back to his original AA meeting place to receive and accept his 40 year chip. He was a man of great intestinal fortitude. I spoke with him ten minutes before he went on the ventilator. "Cheese" you need to use that same fortitude you have with Alcohol to get thru this. You can do this. He had a sense that he wasn't going to come out of this and he didn't. Sorry, I ramble.      

People need stories like this. So the 410,000 others can have a proper perspective. There are 410,000 other stories, lessons.

The end is in sight, come September more freedom but we have to get there, still some painful memories of lives ended.