5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

The novel coronavirus will kill more people in the United States every day for the next two to three months than died in the attacks on 9/11 and Pearl Harbor, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention director Robert Redfield said Thursday.

The stark warning came as the United States set a new record for fatalities in a single day for the second day in a row, surpassing 3,300 deaths Thursday and bringing the nation’s total covid-19 death toll to more than 291,800.

5 hours ago, kallend said:

The novel coronavirus will kill more people in the United States every day for the next two to three months than died in the attacks on 9/11 and Pearl Harbor, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention director Robert Redfield said Thursday.

The stark warning came as the United States set a new record for fatalities in a single day for the second day in a row, surpassing 3,300 deaths Thursday and bringing the nation’s total covid-19 death toll to more than 291,800.

In that case America's MAGA man has now overseen a government whose population has suffered more deaths than in the entirety of WW2. Because US combat deaths are listed at 291,557.

While the trump death clock sits at 174,683.“I think January is gonna be terrible, because you’re gonna have the Thanksgiving surge super-imposed upon the Christmas surge. So it’s entirely conceivable that January could be the worst,” Fauci

There is the possibility that trump will kill more than Hitler by the time January 20th rolls around.

1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

There is the possibility that trump will kill more than Hitler by the time January 20th rolls around.

To be honest (not that Trump is, but that shouldn’t drive others), he’s not responsible for all of the Covid deaths. The US was always going to be hit hard because of its emphasis on civil liberties (ie lockdown bad), it’s people’s assumption that they always know best (I’m too careful to get Covid / it’s not that bad), and just the wide expanse and differences among its various populations. 
It’s impossible to say how much can be attributed to his attitude and lack of interest in the matter other than how it affected his personal popularity, but we’d’ve probably had at least half those deaths. So he’s no more than half as bad as Hitler from an American deaths point of view. 
Does that back us out of Godwin’s Law? ]:)

Wendy P. 

6 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

To be honest (not that Trump is, but that shouldn’t drive others), he’s not responsible for all of the Covid deaths. 

Agreed.  Nothing anyone could do would have prevented all the deaths out there.  The studies I've seen have indicated that more consistent/earlier interventions could have saved 40 to 70 percent of the victims of COVID-19.  Which is huge but not 100% - and it will not add up to six million.

25 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

To be honest (not that Trump is, ...
Does that back us out of Godwin’s Law? ]:)...
Wendy P. 

Godwins law is a red herring. IMO the trump Death Clock is reasonable approximation of his absence of leadership within the equation. Even today there are testimonials from acute care nurses that their patients refuse to believe that covid isn't fake news. As the patients take their last breaths and die.

At this point in the pandemic there should be no doubts about the causation of the virus for deaths. Nor any doubt as to who from the US is responsible for the denial of it all.

By kill more, I meant US deaths as Soviet Union, European deaths, Jews, etc. are obviously not US citizens.

Edited by Phil1111

33 minutes ago, billvon said:

Agreed.  Nothing anyone could do would have prevented all the deaths out there.  The studies I've seen have indicated that more consistent/earlier interventions could have saved 40 to 70 percent of the victims of COVID-19.  Which is huge but not 100% - and it will not add up to six million.

Canada seems to be losing people at about a rate 50% of the US. A reasonable place to compare to. It is hyperbolic to be blaming all the death on Trump. Much of the blame lies with state governments. But you also can't deny that the POTUS sets the tone and influences the response.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

But you also can't deny that the POTUS sets the tone and influences the response.

Absolutely.  If Trump had started out saying "WEAR MASKS!  The lying democrats want you to not wear a mask so they can blame the pandemic on me - when it's THEM not wearing masks!" (or some variation on that theme) we would have seen a MUCH higher adoption rate of NPI's.  Republican states would have fallen all over themselves to be seen supporting Trump, and democratic states would have done it anyway.

15 minutes ago, ryoder said:

White House orders FDA chief to authorize Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine Friday or submit his resignation

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/12/11/trump-stephen-hahn-fda-covid-vaccine/

Disable Javascript.

Oh, yes; This gives us confidence in the product. [facepalm]

spacer.png

Does that mean he will order his sycophants to take it?

12 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

That is a true statement. Traditionally, Americans don't like changing Presidents during a crisis. Trump was supremely dumb regarding the pandemic, in my opinion. Instead of fearing that the pandemic would hurt his chances for re-election, he should have seen it as an opportunity for re-election. For example, he could have ordered the Federal procurement stuff on an emergency basis to hand out mass PPE gear, and encouraged people to wear masks. Then people would have seen him as a leader in a time of crisis, even if privately he doesn't give a shit if Americans live or die during the pandemic. But he can still do what he was legally ABLE to do...and put on a convincing show doing it. 

Talk about dumb. Had he simply done those things, he would have been re-elected easily. The way it turned out, it took the deaths of many Americans, and Trump's stupidity on the pandemic, to convince Americans to vote for Biden instead. Just unbelievable sometimes. 

Over the years, historians have debated the question "Who was the worst American president in US History?" Same 8-12 names always top the polls. Andrew Johnson, Buchanan, a host of others. I think that debate has come to a screeching halt and Trump now becomes Numero Uno on that list. 

Hi Robert,

Re:  'Had he simply done those things, he would have been re-elected easily.'

I have some doubt about that; but, you may be right.  I have said for some time now, that this past election would be a referendum on Trump.  I still stand by that.

Re:  'I think that debate has come to a screeching halt and Trump now becomes Numero Uno on that list.'

On this, we are in complete agreement.  His ignorance and lack of intelligence is beyond the pale.

Jerry Baumchen

2 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

The Fred Meyers store chain is offering tests (ready in 15 minutes) that can tell you if you have developed antibodies to the Covid-19 virus, and have acquired immunity to the virus. How MUCH immunity I cannot say. But the tests are $25 and you have to make an appointment, either online or other means. Might be worth the 25 bucks to find out your 'status'. 

Hi Robert,

FDA authorizes first rapid Covid-19 self-testing kit for at-home diagnosis - CNN

Jerry Baumchen

“I have children,” she told a bridesmaid, “What if my children die?” The bridesmaid responded, “I understand, but this is her wedding day.”

....“I have children,” she told a bridesmaid, “What if my children die?” The bridesmaid responded, “I understand, but this is her wedding day.”

(from: https://www.texasmonthly.com/being-texan/texas-wedding-photographers-have-seen-some/)

In the immortal words of Gru:

Jesus Titty-Fucking Christ

Edited by TriGirl
ETA referenced article
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gowlerk said:

If Darwin was right shouldn’t these people not exist?

Well, one of Darwin's ideas was 'survival of the fittest'. 

These folks were perfectly 'fit' to survive in a 'non-pandemic' world. 

They've shown that they are not as 'fit' to survive in a world where contact with infected people is not a good thing.

As the understanding of the evolution process has grown, one adjustment that has been made is the idea that 'fittest' is more accurately expressed as "adaptability."
Those that can best adapt to changes are most likely to survive a changing world. 

Again, adapting to isolation, mask requirements, all of the things that would assist in surviving this situation are not something those folks are doing well.

Selfishness, ignorance, gullibility, 'rebelling' against authority (while supporting an authoritarian idiot), all of those things inhibit the ability to adapt to the situation.