5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

46 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

I just delivered a load of lumber to a pallet manufacturing plant in Gretna Nebraska near Omaha. It looked like there would’ve been about 150 people working there today. The only mask in sight was the one on my face. I’m on my way to Kansas City now to get a reload at a warehouse. We’ll see if they’re doing any better there.

Stay safe down there:mask:

3 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Something I've found is that the bigger the company, the better chance of masks.

Not an absolute rule, but for sure large corporations with HR departments are all going to be on the mask thing. I've been to a couple medium sized places lately where politics rules the day and covid safety is seen as incorrect.

53 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Hi Robert,

And does another R senator:  'Sen. Rick Scott of Florida tests positive for COVID-19'

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/11/20/u-s-sen-rick-scott-florida-tests-positive-covid-19/6354712002/

Not a lot going for the R's right now.

Jerry Baumchen

7 hours ago, gowlerk said:

I just delivered a load of lumber to a pallet manufacturing plant in Gretna Nebraska near Omaha. It looked like there would’ve been about 150 people working there today. The only mask in sight was the one on my face. I’m on my way to Kansas City now to get a reload at a warehouse. We’ll see if they’re doing any better there.

They are just trying to keep the money local by ensuring that the hospitals get plenty of business, that's all. Support small businesses and all. After the hospitals get their business, the bankruptcy attorneys will be next in line for an inrush of business. Not until the ER bill shows up in the mail that is though.

Edited by Westerly

However, we dont need a vaccine to fix this in the interm. It's simple. Anytime the positivity rate is over 7.5% in a community, enter into lockdown for a minimum of 4 weeks or until positivity rate drops below 5%. No non-essential services. Then let the market decide. Want to keep your job and business? Then do your part and be a part of the solution. Dont give a shit and want to chose 'freedom' instead? Then have the freedom to not have a job. Unemployment benefits are capped at whatever the usual is for the state. Once you're out, you're out.

Edited by Westerly

12 hours ago, ryoder said:

Andrew Giuliani, a special assistant to President Donald Trump and the son of Rudy Giuliani, announced Friday that he had tested positive for coronavirus.

Well Rudy was all over TV sweating like a mofo, so my money is Rudy is positive as well.

2 hours ago, ryoder said:

Georgia Sen. Kelly Loeffler tests positive for Covid but is undergoing further testing

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/21/politics/kelly-loeffler-tests-positive-covid-georgia/index.html

"Ms. Loeffler has worn masks while interacting with people, but was indoors and unmasked among unmasked crowds at an event on Thursday."

Stupid is as stupid does.

1 hour ago, Westerly said:

So how many cases is it going to take before people start taking this seriously? 400k a day?

Keep in mind that for some people, not wearing a mask is the only form of protest they have.  "The system" stole the election from Trump and is telling them to wear coward masks (in their minds) so not wearing a mask is the one thing they can still do to "own the libs."  It's not rational.

spray.jpg

On 11/20/2020 at 6:44 PM, Westerly said:

However, we dont need a vaccine to fix this in the interm. It's simple. Anytime the positivity rate is over 7.5% in a community, enter into lockdown for a minimum of 4 weeks or until positivity rate drops below 5%. No non-essential services. Then let the market decide. Want to keep your job and business? Then do your part and be a part of the solution. Dont give a shit and want to chose 'freedom' instead? Then have the freedom to not have a job. Unemployment benefits are capped at whatever the usual is for the state. Once you're out, you're out.

That's pretty much what Illinois is doing, and the results are pretty dramatic (see attached). We probably should have initiated the recent batch of lockdowns sooner.

91-DIVOC-states-normalized-Illinois.png

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Dr. Fauci is saying today that it is beginning to become clearer that as may as 20-30% of people who have recovered are problems that weren't there before they were infected. This is happening even in many people who did not get very sick.

This might be the scariest aspect of the whole thing: Nobody knows what the long-term effects will be or how severe. The potential heart and brain damage we've already seen is alarming.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nwt said:

This might be the scariest aspect of the whole thing: Nobody knows what the long-term effects will be or how severe. The potential heart and brain damage we've already seen is alarming.

Yes, for sure. That is why vaccination will be so important. I just hope that they are both as effective as the early results are showing, but long lasting as well.

15 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Yes, for sure. That is why vaccination will be so important. I just hope that they are both as effective as the early results are showing, but long lasting as well.

Both? There are 3 now. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55040635

This one is different in that it is a conventional vaccine (not mRNA), and only requires refrigeration, not freezing.

58 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Both? There are 3 now. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55040635

This one is different in that it is a conventional vaccine (not mRNA), and only requires refrigeration, not freezing.

Yes, I know. Both effective and long lasting is what I was saying. Edit to add, I see that I worded it incorrectly for that message to be clear.

Edited by gowlerk

38 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Of course at the current time we also don't know what the long term effects are of the various vaccines. No mRNA vaccine has previously been approved and human testing of mRNA vaccines is not extensive at all.

2 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Dr. Fauci is saying today that it is beginning to become clearer that as may as 20-30% of people who have recovered are problems that weren't there before they were infected. This is happening even in many people who did not get very sick.

What is 'recovered"? As in 20-30% of those who got the virus, or 20-30% of those in the ICU? Pretty sure it's not 30% of those with the virus because upwards of a fifth of people dont even have symptoms.

Edited by Westerly

22 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Of course at the current time we also don't know what the long term effects are of the various vaccines. No mRNA vaccine has previously been approved and human testing of mRNA vaccines is not extensive at all.

Whatever it is, pretty sure it's not worse than COVID. So what, just dont get vaccinated and get COVID instead? is that the plan? 

1 hour ago, nwt said:

I read something months ago and I have no idea if it's remotely medically accurate, so make of it what you will. But the general gist was that we shouldn't be thinking of Covid as a respiratory disease, but instead as a vascular disease that primarily enters via the lungs. It explains the longer term effects much better.