5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

2 hours ago, Westerly said:

No, but we have this thing called Social media, the Internet and the news where I can see clips of video and photos from any location on Earth instantly and from that it's pretty easy to tell if people are wearing masks or not. Like everything, it's political. In most republican land of the free or die states, mask wearing is much lower.

I've been traveling around the midwest in my truck. What I have observed is that people I see will wear their mask at work because they need to if they want to keep their jobs. People will wear masks in stores that make it clear that it is mandatory. Some people will wear masks everywhere in public, but most will not unless they have to.

At home I regularly see people walking on the street with masks on. ( Not me, that is just plain unneeded) Compliance is nearly universal indoors. In America I would say compliance is in the neighbourhood of 50% at best where it is not mandatory.

(edited)
30 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

I've been traveling around the midwest in my truck. What I have observed is that people I see will wear their mask at work because they need to if they want to keep their jobs. People will wear masks in stores that make it clear that it is mandatory. Some people will wear masks everywhere in public, but most will not unless they have to.

At home I regularly see people walking on the street with masks on. ( Not me, that is just plain unneeded) Compliance is nearly universal indoors. In America I would say compliance is in the neighbourhood of 50% at best where it is not mandatory.

Yea but you live in Canada. Massive difference. There the government and people understand the importance of healthcare and public health, hints the reason why you dont have 8 mil + infections like we do. In America, people are too dumb to understand that in fact the entire world scientific and medical collective is not all in a plot together to secretly troll the entire world economy and they do in fact actually know what they are talking about when they say to take this shit seriously. It's amazing how dumb someone has to be in order for them to take medical advice from people who have no medical background while simultaneously ignoring all the doctors who have prestigious and rewound experience in medicine. Really makes sense, doesent it?

Edited by Westerly

On 10/18/2020 at 7:36 AM, kallend said:

Well, surprise!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/10/17/sturgis-rally-spread/

Within weeks of the gathering that drew nearly half a million bikers, the Dakotas, along with Wyoming, Minnesota and Montana, were leading the nation in new coronavirus infections per capita.

sturgis.jpeg

3 hours ago, Westerly said:

how many lives will be saved if biden is elected? 

Probably on the order of 100,000 - 250,000, depending on the course of the pandemic.  Keep in mind that we are heading into flu season (and Thanksgiving/Christmas) and Biden can't do anything until January at best.  This fall/winter are going to be horrific.

3 hours ago, Westerly said:

how many lives will be saved if biden is elected? 

How many cantaloupes will be harvested this year? How many lives would be saved if we all wore seatbelts, drove the speed limit, and never drove after drinking? You must know that is the lamest of the lame questions you could ask.

13 hours ago, Westerly said:

Also I think you very seriously underestimate the number of people who flat out just dont give a shit. Either they think Covid is fake, or it's just the flu, or they just dont care either way--that's like 50% of the US population.

Fortunately it seems that far fewer than 50% of the population are the mask-free morons seen at Trump rallies. 

d302e40a-cf09-4caa-9b9a-9d4b70b87013-AP20172766720274.jpg

11 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

How many cantaloupes will be harvested this year? How many lives would be saved if we all wore seatbelts, drove the speed limit, and never drove after drinking? You must know that is the lamest of the lame questions you could ask.

The thing about cantaloupes is a lame question, but I don't see the connection.

2 minutes ago, nwt said:

The thing about cantaloupes is a lame question, but I don't see the connection.

The poster asked how many lives will be saved if Biden is elected. Like the cantaloupe harvest it's an obviously unknowable thing, the asking of it helps no one.

6 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

The poster asked how many lives will be saved if Biden is elected. Like the cantaloupe harvest it's an obviously unknowable thing, the asking of it helps no one.

You state this as if it's obvious and uncontroversial but I don't think I agree and I doubt he does either.

11 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

How many cantaloupes will be harvested this year?

About 1.2 million pounds will be harvested in the US, at about 24,000 pounds per acre.

So if you cut the productivity in half per acre (by, say, not fertilizing) you'd end up with about 600,000 pounds for 2020.  You could figure out the reduction in productivity by looking at the basic level of the three primary plant nutrients (nitrogen, phosphorous, potassium) in the soil, then looking at how fertilization would increase them.  And from there look at tables (developed over years of observation) to see what a given level of nutrient will do to melon production.

See?  You can use basic science to predict lots of things.

3 hours ago, billvon said:

About 1.2 million pounds will be harvested in the US, at about 24,000 pounds per acre.

So if you cut the productivity in half per acre (by, say, not fertilizing) you'd end up with about 600,000 pounds for 2020.  You could figure out the reduction in productivity by looking at the basic level of the three primary plant nutrients (nitrogen, phosphorous, potassium) in the soil, then looking at how fertilization would increase them.  And from there look at tables (developed over years of observation) to see what a given level of nutrient will do to melon production.

See?  You can use basic science to predict lots of things.

There it is sport fans, a big gob of cantaloupes will be harvested this year. Thanks to everyone who participated and now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Late Breaking News: Scientists have developed a swizzle stick for the ear that will give someone advance notice that they are about to say something dumb. Anonymous sources state that several SC posters will be included in Phase 1 Trials.

4 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

The only real disagreement I have is the part about this being the first time for voter intimidation. It's only a first for white Anglo voters; voter intimidation of minorities is a proud >.< tradition .

Wendy P.

Agreed. If it had been the first time, there would have been no need for this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_Rights_Act_of_1965