5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

Business Insider: An explosive new documentary details how Jared Kushner's coronavirus task force consisted mainly of 20-something volunteers buying PPE with personal email accounts

https://www.businessinsider.com/documentary-all-under-control-kushner-task-force-2020-10-07

This is the documentary, to be released Oct 13, by Alex Gibney:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13065386/

3 hours ago, ryoder said:

Business Insider: An explosive new documentary details how Jared Kushner's coronavirus task force consisted mainly of 20-something volunteers buying PPE with personal email accounts

And totally shut out the experienced professionals already in place whose job it was to know how to get that done. All because the private sector must be better on principle.

They keep saying Biden wants to be like communist China - but putting political dogma above cold reality and consequences be damned the way Trump’s administration always does sounds exactly like the Maoist MO to me.

My wife grew up in Lake Charles, Louisiana (aka 'hurricane central') and still has a lot of friends in that part of the country (SW. LA and E. TX).

The grandkid of one of her friends went back to college in TX and promptly contracted cv-19 due to inadequate precautions.  Returned home to Houston and gave it to her parents.  Parents subsequently gave it to the grandparents (my wife's friends).  Grandma has a mild case.  Grandpa is in ICU and is not expected to live.

8 hours ago, kallend said:

My wife grew up in Lake Charles, Louisiana (aka 'hurricane central') and still has a lot of friends in that part of the country (SW. LA and E. TX).

The grandkid of one of her friends went back to college in TX and promptly contracted cv-19 due to inadequate precautions.  Returned home to Houston and gave it to her parents.  Parents subsequently gave it to the grandparents (my wife's friends).  Grandma has a mild case.  Grandpa is in ICU and is not expected to live.

I hope they all fare well with Delta.

That animation also shows the political progression of the disease.  For a while it was concentrated in big cities, which are usually more blue.  And we heard all about how it was a hoax, it's not that bad, shutdowns are ILLEGAL!!!, masks are for cowards etc.  The split in approval for how Trump was handling it was almost exactly 50/50 right down party lines.

Now it's appearing everywhere.  And now it's 57% disapprove, 40% approve.  Most of that movement has come from independents - from 50% to 35%.

It's easy to say "oh it's an overreaction" when it's happening in a city 500 miles away - a lot harder when it's happening in your town.

2 hours ago, billvon said:

It's easy to say "oh it's an overreaction" when it's happening in a city 500 miles away - a lot harder when it's happening in your town.

You'd think so.

But not necessarily.

Wisconsin is seeing the highest rates in the country (and the world). We saw over 3k new cases reported yesterday.

And people are still refusing to wear masks, fighting against any orders reducing capacity of public spaces, arguing against doing anything that the experts recommend.

10 hours ago, billvon said:

we heard all about how it was a hoax, it's not that bad, shutdowns are ILLEGAL!!!, masks are for cowards etc. 

We also heard all about how shutting down the airlines was an overreaction and that the flu was even more deadly, and how masks can be ineffective so we should just save them for healthcare workers. 

10 hours ago, billvon said:

The split in approval for how Trump was handling it was almost exactly 50/50 right down party lines.

Now it's appearing everywhere.  And now it's 57% disapprove, 40% approve.  Most of that movement has come from independents - from 50% to 35%.

That's because independents are judging it based on how he's actually handling it, not because of where they live or because they decided long ago that Trump can do no good/no wrong.

19 minutes ago, Coreece said:

That's because independents are judging it based on how he's actually handling it, not because of where they live or because they decided long ago that Trump can do no good/no wrong.

Thanks Captain Obvious. That was the point.

6 hours ago, Coreece said:

We also heard all about how shutting down the airlines was an overreaction and that the flu was even more deadly, and how masks can be ineffective so we should just save them for healthcare workers. 

Yes, I am sure you heard those things.  Obeying everything you hear from every nut job out there is a poor path to take, wouldn't you agree?

Exactly.  And it's become clear that how he is actually handling it is awful.

5 hours ago, jakee said:
6 hours ago, Coreece said:

Thanks Captain Obvious. That was the point.

But the emphasis was how one's approval is determined by how far away they lived from the virus.

45 minutes ago, billvon said:
7 hours ago, Coreece said:

Yes, I am sure you heard those things.  Obeying everything you hear from every nut job out there is a poor path to take, wouldn't you agree?

You were the one comparing it to the flu in the beginning, just as you did for N1H1 - nothing wrong with that, and I even agreed with you.   Jakee was the one arguing with me about how the airline/border shutdown was an over-reaction.  I wouldn't say that you guys are nutjobs for thinking that regardless of whether or not I agreed.

As for the masks, the shortage had officials down playing their effectiveness until they had a handle on supplies.

2 hours ago, Coreece said:

But the emphasis was how one's approval is determined by how far away they lived from the virus.

Wen it starts to affect them, independents will start judging independently. When it doesn't they're more likely to go with their right or left lean.

Jakee was the one arguing with me about how the airline/border shutdown was an over-reaction.  I wouldn't say that you guys are nutjobs for thinking that regardless of whether or not I agreed.

The airline/border shutdown was a useless overreaction, in that neither were done properly or in time, and weren't backed up with strong enough domestic measures that would have made a real difference.

The first death from a coronavirus reinfection has been reported in the Netherlands

"The first known death from a coronavirus reinfection has been reported in the Netherlands. 

A paper accepted for publication in the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases details the death of an 89-year-old Dutch woman who has become the first known person to die after contracting COVID-19 twice." Which would be a case for caution on any vaccine.

So the question becomes: Should anyone tell trump? He stated yesterday that he wanted to "kiss everyone" at his rally. He stated that he "is stronger than ever".

Nah. He always represents that he knows everything.

23 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

"The first known death from a coronavirus reinfection has been reported in the Netherlands. 

She had a type of blood cancer which means she no longer had a properly functioning immune system.  There have been a couple of other documented re-infection cases, but IIRC they survived. 

9 hours ago, headoverheels said:

She had a type of blood cancer which means she no longer had a properly functioning immune system.  There have been a couple of other documented re-infection cases, but IIRC they survived. 

They survived, but for at least one case the second infection was more severe than the first: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30764-7/fulltext