5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

10 hours ago, headoverheels said:

Had McCain chosen Kasich as VP, they likely would have won, and Kasich would be President now.  I disagree with both of them on some issues, but they would not have used the office to line their own pockets, and would not have lost American stature and influence in the world.

I believe they would have lined their pockets just like every other politician would have.

Probably not to the extent, nor as blatantly as Trump, but, the coffers would be much fuller. (more full?)

Edited by turtlespeed

30 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Obviously, he just didn't have enough faith:

An Idaho pastor skeptical of masks lands in the ICU for Covid-19

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/17/us/idaho-pastor-covid-masks-trnd/index.html

Since he doesn't believe in science I am in favour of moving him to a church and he can pray for his health.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ryoder said:

Obviously, he just didn't have enough faith:

An Idaho pastor skeptical of masks lands in the ICU for Covid-19

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/17/us/idaho-pastor-covid-masks-trnd/index.html

Hi Robert,

Right up there with the snake handlers.  When the snake would kill one of them, the rest would just say, 'he just didn't have enough faith.'

Jerry Baumchen

5 hours ago, headoverheels said:

Scientific credentials.

You left a lot of stuff out of Trump's column.
Trump has "very, very large brain"
Trump has natural medical ability.  "I like this stuff. I really get it… every one of these doctors said, ‘how do you know so much about this?’ Maybe I have a natural ability."
Trump is a "very stable genius."
Trump is so strong, he recently went all-out and picked up a water glass - with one hand!

NFL fined three coaches and teams over a million dollars for not wearing masks on the sidelines on the weekend.

Yesterday trump repeated on FOX the remarks he made on the weekend that "the virus only attacks the old with heart problems".

Sounds like a pick six for the NFL and a R quarterback on way to retirement.

spacer.png

Edited by Phil1111

On 9/17/2020 at 6:13 AM, Coreece said:

It's kind of pointless, but sometimes I wonder what the country would look like if McCain had won.  It's doubtful the right would've eventually gotten pissed off enough to even consider nominating Trump, nor the left desperate enough to nominate Hillary. 

???
That’s revisionist history. The left weren’t desperate in 2016. Obama had decent approval ratings and once it became clear that Trump was running away with the R nomination the general consensus was that any warm body with a blue rosette would be able to trounce him in November.

Hillary was nominated because most voters wanted Hillary to be president. 

29 minutes ago, jakee said:

Hillary was nominated because most voters wanted Hillary to be president. 

Negative. More people who voted preferred Hillary over Trump. Our absurd electoral college system not withstanding, that should not be seen as much of a credential. Hillary was nominated by her powerful political machine that precluded the possibility of a more viable challenger to Trump. 

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

Hillary was nominated by her powerful political machine that precluded the possibility of a more viable challenger to Trump. 

That’s just another way of saying she ran a better campaign than anyone else. Regardless, it doesn’t mean or even suggest that she was nominated because the Dems were desperate in some vague unspecified way as a result of the Obama administration.

2 minutes ago, jakee said:

That’s just another way of saying she ran a better campaign than anyone else. Regardless, it doesn’t mean or even suggest that she was nominated because the Dems were desperate in some vague unspecified way as a result of the Obama administration.

No, it's not just another way of saying it. And thanks, but I'll take a pass on your straw man argument that follows. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/09/22/911934489/enormous-and-tragic-u-s-has-lost-more-than-200-000-people-to-covid-19

The U.S. death toll from COVID-19 surpassed 200,000 on Tuesday — reaching what was once the upper limit of some estimates for the pandemic's impact on Americans. Some experts now warn that the toll could nearly double again by the end of 2020.

"I hoped we would be in a better place by now," said Caitlin Rivers, an epidemiologist at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security. "It's an enormous and tragic loss of life."

COVID-19 is now one of the leading causes of death in the U.S., which has reported more than 6.8 million coronavirus cases – more than any other country, according to data collected by Johns Hopkins University. More than 31 million cases have been reported worldwide, including more than 965,000 deaths.

Potential vaccines are currently being tested, but even if a successful candidate emerges, it would likely take months or even years for it to become widely available.

Many of the U.S. COVID-19 deaths likely would have been prevented by widespread use of face masks, social distancing and other measures, said Bob Bednarczyk, assistant professor of global health and epidemiology at Emory University in Atlanta.

"Seeing this number of COVID-19-related deaths is concerning because it shows we really have not done enough to control this pandemic, and we are experiencing a tremendous amount of unnecessary suffering," Bednarczyk said.

The disease was only given a formal name in February; one month later, COVID-19 was declared a pandemic — the first caused by a coronavirus. Since then, it has ravaged families and communities and wrecked economic dreams in the U.S. and around the world.

Rivers said that if mortality trends continue, "COVID-19 will likely be the third-leading cause of death, after heart disease and cancer" in the United States.

"For comparison, by the end of the year we will likely have seen more deaths from COVID-19 than we saw from diabetes, influenza and pneumonia, kidney disease and suicide combined in 2017," she said.

The disease already exceeds the number of U.S. deaths from accidents and unintentional injuries, Bednarczyk said.

6 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Negative. More people who voted preferred Hillary over Trump. Our absurd electoral college system not withstanding, that should not be seen as much of a credential. Hillary was nominated by her powerful political machine that precluded the possibility of a more viable challenger to Trump. 

This is where we agree.

Hillary was the nominee of the DNC before the campaign began. (Officially)  

9 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

... Hillary was nominated by her powerful political machine that precluded the possibility of a more viable challenger to Trump. 

8 hours ago, jakee said:

That’s just another way of saying she ran a better campaign than anyone else...

It was something of a combination of the two.

The "Democratic Party Machine" favored HRC. Partly because of her influence over the party, partly because she was the strongest candidate, partly because the party liked the idea of her being the first woman president.

As such, she got a lot of help from the party that other candidates did not.

I don't think any of the other candidates could have beaten her for the nomination if the party hadn't thrown it's weight behind her, in part because there really weren't any other really strong, nationally recognized candidates running. 

But it makes a good soundbite for the "HRC Haters" to latch onto that the DNC 'chose' her from the beginning. Makes it sound all conspiratorial and 'evil'.

17 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

The "Democratic Party Machine" favored HRC. Partly because of her influence over the party, partly because she was the strongest candidate, partly because the party liked the idea of her being the first woman president.

I don't think any of the other candidates could have beaten her for the nomination if the party hadn't thrown it's weight behind her, in part because there really weren't any other really strong, nationally recognized candidates running. 

But it makes a good soundbite for the "HRC Haters" to latch onto that the DNC 'chose' her from the beginning. Makes it sound all conspiratorial and 'evil'.

Not Evil.

Consistent, but not evil.

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Not my point. I'm proposing that her machine drove the DNC machine and influenced the entire process in her favor. I wasn't a HRC hater until she lost and gave us Trump.

14 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

No, it's not just another way of saying it. And thanks, but I'll take a pass on your straw man argument that follows. 

It's the exact statement that I was initially responding to. That's the opposite of a strawman.