5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

22 minutes ago, airdvr said:

$20K per year?  That's $384 per week before taxes.  Seriously?

Yes seriously.  If they save $30 a week (less than 10% of their salary) it is paid off in 5 years.  Which is much better than being dead.  And is much better than $400,000.

However, if the plight of the poor outrages you, feel free to help out.  Or better yet campaign for single payer.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, airdvr said:

They already had the choice and chose not to pay for insurance.

But of course, like the lady (Mary Brown) who was the plaintiff for the GOP in their lawsuit against ACA and then got sick while uninsured, they pass the cost of treatment on to taxpayers or their providers.

7 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

BUT - by all means lets keep distracting from fact that the left was perfectly OK that some of the people ended up with hardship so they could get what they wanted.

What they wanted was more people with access to real healthcare, and that has happened. It's funny that you try and paint the left as the heartless transactional bastards because of that, when in reality the ACA is the only reason you care at all how many people have affordable healthcare. Prior to the ACA the stated position of the American right to anyone who couldn't afford medical insurance was 'fuck you, ya bum!' So the crocodile tears of the right over the hardship faced by those whose premiums have gone up a bit are somewhat ironic.

5 hours ago, airdvr said:

...to be replaced with plans with huge deductibles.  Just like your ambulance ride to the ER the deductibles on most ACA plans mean they might as well not have insurance.  So in reality ACA moved millions of people into high deductible insurance plans and told them it was insurance.

Nice scam.

^^^^This^^^^

I had a nice plan.  I could afford it, and when I used it I knew what I was getting.

It covered what I needed, not what someone else said I needed.

Seeing all these figures being thrown around, I cannot believe that you aren't all rioting for single-payer. This should not be a partisan issue, your "costs" for medical care are obscene.

I challenge any one of you to calculate 1.5% of your taxable income, compare it against your annual premiums for healthcare, and tell me your plan costs less. Only plans you chose to get though, freebies and discounts you get through employers don't count - you could lose that at any point so doesn't really count as reliable cover.

Top Trump health aide warns of armed insurrection and accuses the CDC of sedition

The Department of Health and Human Services assistant secretary of public affairs, Michael Caputo, accused the CDC’s top scientists of “sedition” over their coronavirus pandemic response while warning that left-wing hit squads were preparing for armed insurrection.

Among the claims made during the stream is that the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) had a “resistance unit” to plot how to attack the president, that Joe Biden would refuse to concede the election, and that Trump supporters should prepare for an armed left-wing insurrection.

"When Donald Trump refuses to stand down at the inauguration, the shooting will begin… If you carry guns, buy ammunition, ladies and gentlemen, because it’s going to be hard to get.”

"Remember the Trump supporter who was shot and killed? That was a drill.”  

While Caputo, who was made the department’s spokesperson in April, didn’t offer any evidence he may have access to that support his claims, they echo the sentiments of Mr Trump, who has said there is a “deep state” was slowing trials for a coronavirus vaccine.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/14/us/politics/caputo-virus.html

This is nothing short of inciting violence.

18 hours ago, ScottishJohn said:

Top Trump health aide warns of armed insurrection and accuses the CDC of sedition

The Department of Health and Human Services assistant secretary of public affairs, Michael Caputo, accused the CDC’s top scientists of “sedition” over their coronavirus pandemic response while warning that left-wing hit squads were preparing for armed insurrection.

Among the claims made during the stream is that the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) had a “resistance unit” to plot how to attack the president, that Joe Biden would refuse to concede the election, and that Trump supporters should prepare for an armed left-wing insurrection.

"When Donald Trump refuses to stand down at the inauguration, the shooting will begin… If you carry guns, buy ammunition, ladies and gentlemen, because it’s going to be hard to get.”

"Remember the Trump supporter who was shot and killed? That was a drill.”  

While Caputo, who was made the department’s spokesperson in April, didn’t offer any evidence he may have access to that support his claims, they echo the sentiments of Mr Trump, who has said there is a “deep state” was slowing trials for a coronavirus vaccine.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/14/us/politics/caputo-virus.html

This is nothing short of inciting violence.

Not really, but this is definitely asking for violence.

What a racist.  Its sad, really.

On 9/15/2020 at 1:56 AM, mistercwood said:

Seeing all these figures being thrown around, I cannot believe that you aren't all rioting for single-payer. This should not be a partisan issue, your "costs" for medical care are obscene.

I challenge any one of you to calculate 1.5% of your taxable income, compare it against your annual premiums for healthcare, and tell me your plan costs less. Only plans you chose to get though, freebies and discounts you get through employers don't count - you could lose that at any point so doesn't really count as reliable cover.

"Merica"...   But wait... news flash "During a town hall meeting for undecided voters in Philadelphia on Tuesday, President Donald Trump said his long-promised health care plan was "all ready."

14 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

At the same meeting he blamed Joe Biden for the absence of a national mask mandate.

WTF.

On 9/15/2020 at 2:17 AM, ScottishJohn said:

The Department of Health and Human Services assistant secretary of public affairs, Michael Caputo, accused the CDC’s top scientists of “sedition” over their coronavirus pandemic response  

How DARE they prioritize science over devotion to his Savior!  HOW DARE THEY!

Just to get this information out there so that folk understand timelines of vaccine development:

I'm working on the 'hyper fast-track' design and production of a Covid vaccine manufacturing plant right now. The first commercial batches from that facility are expected in October NEXT year. That's based on a positive Phase 2 / 3 result in December this year.

It then takes 10 months to design the process and get it ramped up to 1000l batches. Simply buying the equipment has a lead time of 8 months. And the team is scratching their heads on how to even do it that fast.

So unless we started working on a vaccine before the pandemic actually started the likelihood of having commercial vaccines any time soon is extremely questionable. There might be small batch stuff for PR / marketing soonish, but not in population-based scales.

Edited by yoink

19 minutes ago, murps2000 said:
5 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

I don't think it was.

He was told he would not be nominated.  They told Bernie that but he didn't listen.

One of his sons died in May of 2015. That may have affected his decision on whether or not to run in 2016.

It's kind of pointless, but sometimes I wonder what the country would look like if McCain had won.  It's doubtful the right would've eventually gotten pissed off enough to even consider nominating Trump, nor the left desperate enough to nominate Hillary.  Perhaps they would've given Obama another shot in 2012 or 2016, but who knows?  If things went well under McCain, maybe Palin would be president right now.

But then again, Palin was likely the reason McCain lost in the first place.  Scary how one silly decision like that can change the course of history.

41 minutes ago, Coreece said:

But then again, Palin was likely the reason McCain lost in the first place.  Scary how one silly decision like that can change the course of history.

Had McCain chosen Kasich as VP, they likely would have won, and Kasich would be President now.  I disagree with both of them on some issues, but they would not have used the office to line their own pockets, and would not have lost American stature and influence in the world.

22 minutes ago, headoverheels said:

Had McCain chosen Kasich as VP, they likely would have won, and Kasich would be President now.  I disagree with both of them on some issues, but they would not have used the office to line their own pockets, and would not have lost American stature and influence in the world.

Pretty much, because your point is a comparison in nature, you could have said any two names.

24 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Not only is Trumps health plan ready it also being successfully implemented. Promise kept.

Not quite. They are still trying to abolish the ACA in court. Oral arguments scheduled in SCOTUS for Nov 10:

https://www.cbpp.org/research/health/suit-challenging-aca-legally-suspect-but-threatens-loss-of-coverage-for-tens-of