5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

Interesting how both Bush (with his “ go on with your lives while we make war”) and Trump (“nothing to worry about”) seem not to want to challenge the American public to do anything hard. That’s a shame; I think any public is capable of a lot with a common goal. 
It takes leadership (or overwhelming events) to identify that goal in a way to get that public to want to achieve it. The larger the public, the harder it is, frankly, without the application of some force, or simply marginalizing populations that don’t agree with it. 
The issue, of course, is which populations are marginalized... 
Wendy P. 

3 hours ago, kallend said:

When Trump was knowingly lying to us about the virus back in March, the Irish PM was telling the truth to his citizens.

That is the difference between a leader and a con-artist.

That is leadership. Thanks for sharing. I guess they don't toss it off to the governors over there.

11 minutes ago, kallend said:

Trump:  20,000+

Obama: 1

(Actually I kept both my doctor and my plan).

I also kept my Doctor and my plan. Of course, it all started going to hell as the co-ops were defunded by republicans (not cops defunded, stay calm R's) and stressed the whole thing. It's amazing it's hung on this long, really.

22 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

You can keep your doctor, you can keep you plan . . .

It's genuinely amazing that this is the only lie* that is ever brought up in reply to 20,000 and counting from Trump. Never anything else, just "doctor, plan, haha checkmate lib!". It's almost like the well of counter-examples is bone fucking dry.

*Wasn't "keep your plan" a factual statement at the time it was made? My understanding was that it was the constant rewrites and hacking away by the GOP in order to reach compromise that caused this to be a lie after the fact. Happy to be corrected.

19 hours ago, mistercwood said:

It's genuinely amazing that this is the only lie* that is ever brought up in reply to 20,000 and counting from Trump. Never anything else, just "doctor, plan, haha checkmate lib!". It's almost like the well of counter-examples is bone fucking dry.

*Wasn't "keep your plan" a factual statement at the time it was made? My understanding was that it was the constant rewrites and hacking away by the GOP in order to reach compromise that caused this to be a lie after the fact. Happy to be corrected.

No - it wasn't.  The people crunching the numbers knew it wouldn't work that way.

That isn't why I posted that.

I explained my reasoning in subsequent posts.

It has to do with what is an acceptable loss to someone else, when it's not your problem.

Obama Care helped 20 Million people get their insurance, and fucked 30 million out of a good thing they had.

I have seen it here, that most people are perfectly OK with hardships that their political stance, when they don't affect the persons that person. 

I'm not immune to it either.

Edited by turtlespeed

So how long is this lull in Covid cases going to last? There is already talk about reopening the workforce back to 100%, reopening all in-person dining to 100% and reopening bars in my area, and dropping face mask mandates in the few areas that have them.

I guess people are not smart enough to figure out that mitigating efforts only work while you're still doing them. It's like 'I wore my seatbelt all last week so I dont need it this week". 

I give it 30 days before we start the uptick to another peak which will probably occur in November. By Nov time we'll be back to 2,000 deaths a day and 80,000 new cases daily. It will be the same rollercoaster over and over at least until the end of next year.

Edited by Westerly

4 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

No - it wasn't.  The people crunching the numbers knew it wouldn't work that way.

That isn't why I posted that.

I explained my reasoning in subsequent posts.

It has to do with what is an acceptable loss to someone else, when it's not your problem.

Obama Care helped 20 Million people get their insurance, and fucked 30 million out of a good thing they had.

I have seen it here, that most people are perfectly OK with hardships that their political stance, when they don't affect the persons that person. 

I'm not immune to it either.

“We’re signing a health-care plan within two weeks, a full and complete health-care plan”; July 19, 2020, on Fox News.

Still waiting.

1 hour ago, kallend said:

“We’re signing a health-care plan within two weeks, a full and complete health-care plan”; July 19, 2020, on Fox News.

Still waiting.

Are you having issues with comprehension?

The comparison had nothing to do with health care and everything to do with the attitude of being for a thing unless it seriously affects you. 

24 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

The comparison had nothing to do with health care and everything to do with the attitude of being for a thing unless it seriously affects you. 

Isn't that exactly your position? Obamacare gave 20 million people access to healthcare who previously couldn't afford any insurance at all, but because your premiums went up a bit you're against it.

Is that not the absolute definition of the "I'm alright Jack" mentality you're attempting to paint onto the left?

7 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Oh I seriously doubt that.

I changed jobs about a year ago.  The new health plan wasn't as good as at my old company.  Did Trump therefore fuck me out of a good thing I had?

6 hours ago, Westerly said:

So how long is this lull in Covid cases going to last? There is already talk about reopening the workforce back to 100%, reopening all in-person dining to 100% and reopening bars in my area, and dropping face mask mandates in the few areas that have them.

I guess people are not smart enough to figure out that mitigating efforts only work while you're still doing them. It's like 'I wore my seatbelt all last week so I dont need it this week". 

I give it 30 days before we start the uptick to another peak which will probably occur in November. By Nov time we'll be back to 2,000 deaths a day and 80,000 new cases daily. It will be the same rollercoaster over and over at least until the end of next year.

I give it another two weeks.  Then we will see the labor day party/school reopening effect.  Then, of course, comes flu season.

On 9/10/2020 at 7:45 PM, billvon said:

Now that it has been revealed that Trump knew how deadly COVID-19 was going to be early on, this tweet from March 8th is even more creepy:

Fiddle.jpg

Bill, don't you think his explanation to Woodward that he didn't want to cause a panic was true? Surely he wasn't thinking about the people, he was thinking about the stock market.

Edited by JoeWeber

12 hours ago, jakee said:

Isn't that exactly your position? Obamacare gave 20 million people access to healthcare who previously couldn't afford any insurance at all, but because your premiums went up a bit you're against it.

Is that not the absolute definition of the "I'm alright Jack" mentality you're attempting to paint onto the left?

It just switched the people around that couldn't afford their insurance anymore.

It left more with the inability to afford it than it gave insurance to.

2 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

It just switched the people around that couldn't afford their insurance anymore.

It left more with the inability to afford it than it gave insurance to.

Nope.  More people were insured under the program than there were before.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

Nope.  More people were insured under the program than there were before.

Go back and re read what I said.

It left MORE with the inability to AFFORD coverage anymore.

Look at the uptick in your image.

People held onto what they could until they couldn't sustain the increases that the ACA made inevitable.

The ones it helped the most were the insurance companies.