5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

4 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

It’s too late baby, now, it’s too late

cause we really did try to make it

something inside has died I don’t know and I just can’t fake it...

Wendy P. 

Oh wow! Now that is a shot of nostalgia. I'm listening to it on Youtube now. ;-)

FDA ousts top spokesperson after 2 weeks:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/28/fda-top-spokesperson-leaves-404422

The FDA had also faced growing criticism over its hiring of Miller, a former reporter for far-right One America News who has no science or medical background, has worked in Republican politics and is known for her extensive writings on gun rights advocacy. The agency’s top communications role is traditionally filled by a career civil servant, and the job opening was initially listed as a role for career civil servants in April before being taken down.

[facepalm]

1 hour ago, ryoder said:

FDA ousts top spokesperson after 2 weeks:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/28/fda-top-spokesperson-leaves-404422

The FDA had also faced growing criticism over its hiring of Miller, a former reporter for far-right One America News who has no science or medical background, has worked in Republican politics and is known for her extensive writings on gun rights advocacy. The agency’s top communications role is traditionally filled by a career civil servant, and the job opening was initially listed as a role for career civil servants in April before being taken down.

[facepalm]

Getting ready for a "vaccine" announcement about a week before the election.

On 8/27/2020 at 1:39 PM, FrancoR said:

180.000 today.

Just  for comparison, Germany has a quarter of thepopulation of  the US and had 5 covid  deaths today.

Merkel, scientist with Germany's interests first.. trump, mental dwarf with his Mob family's interests first..

2 hours ago, Phil1111 said:
On 8/27/2020 at 3:39 PM, FrancoR said:

180.000 today.

Just  for comparison, Germany has a quarter of thepopulation of  the US and had 5 covid  deaths today.

Merkel, scientist with Germany's interests first.. trump, mental dwarf with his Mob family's interests first..

Still trying to figure out how Trump's covid response, or lack thereof is in his family's best interest. . .

29 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Still trying to figure out how Trump's covid response, or lack thereof is in his family's best interest. . .

In the short term, ignoring it and downplaying it helps both him and his inner circle, because they remain more popular.

3 minutes ago, billvon said:
33 minutes ago, Coreece said:

In the short term, ignoring it and downplaying it helps both him and his inner circle, because they remain more popular.

But you already said that if he took it more seriously so would many of his supporters.

I don't know the numbers, but practically every conservative I know takes covid seriously, except for a couple in-laws according to their facebook posts that my wife showed me. (btw, that's the only reason I'm considering them conservative.)

So far his covid response is the only thing that I've seen hardcore supporters question.

6 minutes ago, Coreece said:

But you already said that if he took it more seriously so would many of his supporters.

Right.  But taking it seriously would have dropped his ratings for a short time, so that wasn't really an option for him.   Only when it became clear that it was actually a catastrophe, and his ratings were dropping anyway, did he start taking it seriously.  And even then, he suggested that his supporters don't wear masks.

I don't know the numbers, but practically every conservative I know takes covid seriously, except for a couple in-laws according to their facebook posts that my wife showed me.

We had a big protest here a while back in downtown San Diego against masks.  At least five hundred people.  Half of them wore MAGA hats or Trump shirts.

(edited)
12 minutes ago, billvon said:

We had a big protest here a while back in downtown San Diego against masks.  At least five hundred people.  Half of them wore MAGA hats or Trump shirts.

I'm not saying that the majority of the naysayers aren't conservative.  I just think he'd have less conservatives questioning him and who they're going to vote for had he taken it more seriously - but that would've taken foresight, which apparently most politicians lack these days, including Biden and Harris - and demonstrably so.

Edited by Coreece

So at a Trump rally in NH, there was an announcement made asking the crowd to wear masks, as is mandated by the state government -- they booed.

Can you imagine how different their behavior might have been if Trump had said months ago that everyone should be wearing masks, and done so himself? We would be at the new infection / new death rate of Germany.

Maybe, maybe not.

I agree that in a tight corner masks are better than nothing at all, but some people seem to view face masks as some kind of anti-COVID deus ex-maskina: wear a mask = you can't get infected. And that I do disagree with.

Not hosting gatherings were a lot of people congregate in the first place does a lot more for stopping COVID than merely wearing masks.

6 hours ago, Coreece said:

Occam's razor should be used here.

The most likely explanation for his lack of response to covid is...he simply doesn't know what to do against something that he can't insult, lie about, or both. So, he's pretty much given up.

Controlling something like covid needs awareness of a) exponential growth b) complex logistics c) the abilities of the federal government. Not to mention being able to understand at least some of the science. He has advisers who can, but that takes away so much of his decision-making ability.

1 hour ago, olofscience said:

The most likely explanation for his lack of response to covid is...he simply doesn't know what to do against something that he can't insult, lie about, or both. So, he's pretty much given up.

Who knew being POTUS could be hard? The man is simply not up to the job.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Coreece said:

How about his failure to deal with covid is because he could care less. He cares about watching TV, golfing and 'executive time' but doesn't have the time or inclination to deal with details. Or the issue can just be put within the general scope of stupidity about the nature of pandemics.

It is biting him in the ass though.Trump Hotel in Vancouver closes as company files for bankruptcy. Staff answering phone at front desk said hotel is closed, empty, and staff are gone

4 hours ago, Baksteen said:

Maybe, maybe not.

I agree that in a tight corner masks are better than nothing at all, but some people seem to view face masks as some kind of anti-COVID deus ex-maskina: wear a mask = you can't get infected. And that I do disagree with.

Not hosting gatherings were a lot of people congregate in the first place does a lot more for stopping COVID than merely wearing masks.

The benefits of wearing a mask is not a binary situation, i.e. maybe-you-get-it, maybe-you-don't. There is evidence that reducing the initial dose of the virus, reduces the severity of the illness.

https://theconversation.com/cloth-masks-do-protect-the-wearer-breathing-in-less-coronavirus-means-you-get-less-sick-143726

13 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

If and when the day comes when they call the election for Joe Biden, he should quote President Gerald Ford in his acceptance speech, the thing he said on national TV on the day Richard Nixon resigned from office:

"Our long national nightmare is over..."

Hi Robert,

Actually, I think he said it in his first speech to a joint session of Congress.

However, I absolutely agree.

Jerry Baumchen

11 hours ago, headoverheels said:

Can you imagine how different their behavior might have been if Trump had said months ago that everyone should be wearing masks, and done so himself? We would be at the new infection / new death rate of Germany.

Definitely.  Imagine what the response would have been if Trump had tweeted things like "Dems want you to not wear masks - because they want more deaths to make me look bad!  PROVE THEM WRONG!"  Instead, he told his supporters that the reason people wear masks is to show they don't support him.  So his supporters heard that loud and clear - they are not to wear masks if they want to be loyal to Trump.

9 hours ago, Baksteen said:

Agreed.  But since some congregations have to happen (food shopping, gas stations, some workplaces etc) masks are our best tool to reduce infection rates in those cases.