5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

5 minutes ago, airdvr said:

You would think no one knew what protective measures to take.

Two weeks ago? Why would you think that? At this point I’m not sure how it’s possible to be a functional human being in society and not know what protective measures to take.

(edited)
3 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Easy kids.  That wasn't a rhetorical statement.  I'm honestly dumbfounded that people don't know.

They do, they just don’t care - an opinion which has constantly been reinforced by the messaging from the guy at the top.

Edited by jakee

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

You would think no one knew what protective measures to take.

The USA has 18 times the deaths from the virus in the last 2 weeks than the rest of the G7 nations combined.

What do they have they we don't?

I suggest competent and concerned leadership.

1 hour ago, jakee said:

They do, they just don’t care - an opinion which has constantly been reinforced by the messaging from the guy at the top.

And his enablers, like Herman Cain (and others at the Trump rallies in Tulsa and at Mt. Rushmore).

Looks like Sturgis is setting up to be a spreader event too - yesterday SD had the highest number of new cases since May 8.

1 hour ago, kallend said:

The USA has 18 times the deaths from the virus in the last 2 weeks than the rest of the G7 nations combined.

What do they have they we don't?

I suggest competent and concerned leadership.

One possibility.  I'm thinking overcrowded living conditions...unclean people in general...people who don't believe the pandemic to be real...lots of possibilities.

Just now, airdvr said:

One possibility.  I'm thinking overcrowded living conditions...unclean people in general...people who don't believe the pandemic to be real...lots of possibilities.

Occam's razor suggests negligence, ignorance and malpractice from national leadership is the biggest difference between US and the other G7 nations.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kallend said:

Occam's razor suggests negligence, ignorance and malpractice from national leadership is the biggest difference between US and the other G7 nations.

You mean like when Pelosi was urging people to come to Chinatown?

Among other things, that was in late February. Things have changed since then. I went to an indoor concert in March, but wouldn't today. And I wouldh ave been wrong to do so in March had I lived in NYC -- but might not have realized it.

Wendy P.

11 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Enlighten me...

1.  It was in February, when Trump said "15 cases, soon to be zero" and other hopelessly erroneous remarks.

2. Long ago debunked lies from Trump:
https://www.factcheck.org/2020/05/trump-adds-new-falsehood-to-pelosi-chinatown-claims/

Are you trying to wrestle Stupid Post of the Month from Turtle?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kallend said:

1.  It was in February, when Trump said "15 cases, soon to be zero" and other hopelessly erroneous remarks.

2. Long ago debunked lies from Trump:
https://www.factcheck.org/2020/05/trump-adds-new-falsehood-to-pelosi-chinatown-claims/

Are you trying to wrestle Stupid Post of the Month from Turtle?

Hi John,

Only 9 more days to go; get your entries in ASAP.

Jerry Baumchen

February 2 — Global Air Travel Is Restricted

By 5 pm on Sunday, those en route to the United States have to have left China or they can face a 2-week home-based quarantine if they had been in Hubei province. Mainland visitors, however, will need to undergo health screenings upon their return, and foreign nationals can even be denied admittance. Other countries beginning to impose similar air-travel restrictions at this point include Australia, Germany, Italy, and New Zealand.

February 3 — US Declares Public Health Emergency

The Trump administration declares a public health emergency due to the coronavirus outbreak. The announcement comes 3 days after WHO declared a Global Health Emergency as more than 9800 cases of the virus and more than 200 deaths had been confirmed worldwide.

February 10 — China’s COVID-19 Deaths Exceed Those of SARS Crisis

The COVID-19 death toll surpasses that of the severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) outbreak from 17 years ago, totaling 908 reported deaths in China in the last month compared with 774 deaths in the SARS crisis.

February 24 - Nancy wants to have a party in Chinatown

February 25 — CDC Says COVID-19 Is Heading Toward Pandemic Status

Explaining what would signify a pandemic, Nancy Messonnier, MD, director of the CDC's National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, says that thus far COVID-19 meets 2 of the 3 required factors: illness resulting in death and sustained person-to-person spread. Worldwide spread is the third criteria not yet met at the time.

if you think my post qualifies for the :"Stupid Post of the month" have at it.

1 hour ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi John,

Only 9 more days to go; get your entries in ASAP.

Jerry Baumchen

41 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Facts aren't widely used to form opinions and make decisions. 

I think Jerry is the one that said lack of facts and weaseling away from the truth is the trump way. I could be wrong but who really cares. Joe is right about the no--science way.

59 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Facts aren't widely used to form opinions and make decisions.

"Biases and blind spots exist in big data as much as they do in individual perceptions and experiences. Yet there is a problematic belief that bigger data is always better data and that correlation is as good as causation." - Kate Crawford

2 hours ago, airdvr said:

February 2 — Global Air Travel Is Restricted

By 5 pm on Sunday, those en route to the United States have to have left China or they can face a 2-week home-based quarantine if they had been in Hubei province. Mainland visitors, however, will need to undergo health screenings upon their return, and foreign nationals can even be denied admittance. Other countries beginning to impose similar air-travel restrictions at this point include Australia, Germany, Italy, and New Zealand.

February 3 — US Declares Public Health Emergency

The Trump administration declares a public health emergency due to the coronavirus outbreak. The announcement comes 3 days after WHO declared a Global Health Emergency as more than 9800 cases of the virus and more than 200 deaths had been confirmed worldwide.

February 10 — China’s COVID-19 Deaths Exceed Those of SARS Crisis

The COVID-19 death toll surpasses that of the severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) outbreak from 17 years ago, totaling 908 reported deaths in China in the last month compared with 774 deaths in the SARS crisis.

February 24 - Nancy wants to have a party in Chinatown

February 25 — CDC Says COVID-19 Is Heading Toward Pandemic Status

Explaining what would signify a pandemic, Nancy Messonnier, MD, director of the CDC's National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, says that thus far COVID-19 meets 2 of the 3 required factors: illness resulting in death and sustained person-to-person spread. Worldwide spread is the third criteria not yet met at the time.

if you think my post qualifies for the :"Stupid Post of the month" have at it.

2 hours ago, Coreece said:

"Biases and blind spots exist in big data as much as they do in individual perceptions and experiences. Yet there is a problematic belief that bigger data is always better data and that correlation is as good as causation." - Kate Crawford

Not my point. Simply, people don't rely on facts as much as they do emotion, social media noise, how their team thinks, and information that supports preconceived notions. By and large people are intellectually lazy. Ideas that challenge held views are too often immediately discarded. That's the reason slogans like FAKE NEWS and HOAX are so effective. Believing the slogan is easy and you won't be alone.