5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

28 minutes ago, olofscience said:

<eyeroll> you're so predictable.

Well New Zealand had 13 new cases yesterday and Trump is calling it a 'terrible surge'. Thirteen.

The US had 40,612 new cases. Winning.

It’s all about percentage increase. If you go from one case to 13 it’s a 1200% increase, and if you go from 36 000 to 40 000 it’s only a 15% increase. 
/sarcasm

8 hours ago, phantomII said:

Looks like Trump finally understands the 'percentage' thing.
Maybe someday he also gets the 'per capita' thing.

Hi phantom,

You have obviously not seen his college grade transcripts.*  Of course, neither have I; but, once they become available it will all make sense.

Jerry Baumchen

*  He has threatened to sue any college that releases any of his grade transcripts.

14 minutes ago, olofscience said:

Well if he only understands that much, there's not much chance he'll understand "exponential growth" any time soon.

Well he does understand "exponential shrinkage". The mechanisms that allow for investors equity to vanish under bankruptcy.

6 hours ago, yoink said:
7 hours ago, ryoder said:

From KOTA in Rapid City, SD;

Data company tracks traffic into 2020 Sturgis Motorcycle Rally:

https://www.kotatv.com/2020/08/18/video-data-company-tracks-traffic-into-2020-sturgis-motorcycle-rally/

That is terrifying for a bunch of reasons.

I actually had a nightmare about it last night.  I suddenly found myself at Sturgis with Jennifer Aniston in a stairwell packed with a bunch of bikers.  And I said wait a minute, this can't be right, what about covid, what about social distancing, we have to get out of here -  but Jennifer Aniston mocked me and insisted on staying so I just left her, and then I woke up in a cold sweat.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Coreece said:

I actually had a nightmare about it last night.  I suddenly found myself at Sturgis with Jennifer Aniston in a stairwell packed with a bunch of bikers.  And I said wait a minute, this can't be right, what about covid, what about social distancing, we have to get out of here -  but Jennifer Aniston mocked me and insisted on staying so I just left her, and then I woke up in a cold sweat.

What did they use for tracking?  License plates?

4 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:
17 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

anonymous cell phone data

Hi Sky,

Actually, anyone who read the link would know that. 

I didn't read the link, I just looked at the map and figured that's what they used.  Similar to how google maps can tell you if there are any traffic jams up ahead when a bunch of cell phone location data suddenly stops on the freeway, or even when traffic builds up at long red lights.

Another nifty feature is when they tell you cops were spotted up ahead.  Never looked into how that all worked, but I believe other drivers report them, lol.

5 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Similar to how google maps can tell you if there are any traffic jams up ahead when a bunch of cell phone location data suddenly stops on the freeway, or even when traffic builds up at long red lights.

I vaguely recall a story some years ago about a dude who would create artificial traffic jams with a cart full of like 50 smartphones that he'd slowly wheel along the sidewalk and mess up Google's local data. I think it was some sort of performative protest or awareness building thing about big tech? Still fascinating.

11 minutes ago, mistercwood said:
22 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Similar to how google maps can tell you if there are any traffic jams up ahead when a bunch of cell phone location data suddenly stops on the freeway, or even when traffic builds up at long red lights.

I vaguely recall a story some years ago about a dude who would create artificial traffic jams with a cart full of like 50 smartphones that he'd slowly wheel along the sidewalk and mess up Google's local data. I think it was some sort of performative protest or awareness building thing about big tech? Still fascinating.

Found it:

https://www.wired.com/story/99-phones-fake-google-maps-traffic-jam/

Hillarious.

(edited)
17 minutes ago, mistercwood said:

https://www.boredpanda.com/fake-traffic-jam-99-smartphones-google-maps-simon-weckert/

ETA: Coreece beat me to the post.

Edited by ryoder

There was a comment made on another thread that got me thinking.

It's said that there are 170K (roughly) covid-19 deaths so far this year.

So I did some googling, and this is what I found:

1) The CDC can track on a seemingly daily basis an individual number of deaths by covid-19.

2) There are no statistics for the entire year of 2019 on the website that I could find.

3) "NOTES: A total of 2,839,205 resident deaths were registered in the United States in 2018."

4) 14.9% of those deaths were influenza and Pneumonia related (423,042) [That is up .6% from 2017]

Here is what I was thinking about:

At the end of the year, when the calculations are complete, the number of Influenza and Pneumonia deaths should stay somewhere around 14 - 15%.

Theoretically the numbers should be about the same, right?

The Covid-19 deaths would be added to that figure, correct?

So, adding in the Covid-19 respiratory illness to the flu and pneumonia deaths, we should expect total flu and Pneumonia numbers in the 760's this year.

(Average 6 months to get to 170K . . . 12 months should be 340K)

I wonder if there will be a decline in other deaths.

6 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

I wonder if there will be a decline in other deaths.

The study Skydekker linked covers some interesting points and areas where deaths could increase. I don't think I'd need a study though to conclude that in areas/countries where WFH was widely adopted you would expect to see a drop in motor vehicle injuries and deaths.

13 hours ago, mistercwood said:

The study Skydekker linked covers some interesting points and areas where deaths could increase. I don't think I'd need a study though to conclude that in areas/countries where WFH was widely adopted you would expect to see a drop in motor vehicle injuries and deaths.

I agree that sounds reasonable.

I also think that just the reduced traffic patterns will have a large impact in vehicle fatalities.

(edited)

COVID-19 deaths August 8 - 21

USA - 14,316

Florida - 2,241

Texas - 2,803

Georgia - 860

Arizona - 613

Canada - 88

UK - 139

France - 140

Germany - 72

Spain - 196