5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

trump wants schools reopened. So the YMCA had a summer camp in Georgia with 597 kids attending. All tested negative before attending. Four days later of 1/2 of those who attended were tested.Results showed 44% of the kids and staff who attended were positive.All recommended safety protocols from the CDC sere followed.

For trump kids under the bus works as long as re-election is in the cards. Its OK for Mitch McConnell as well.

6 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

trump wants schools reopened. So the YMCA had a summer camp in Georgia with 597 kids attending. All tested negative before attending. Four days later of 1/2 of those who attended were tested.Results showed 44% of the kids and staff who attended were positive.All recommended safety protocols from the CDC sere followed.

I do wonder how many days ahead they were tested.  Here's a link about the outbreak.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/hundreds-georgia-campers-infected-with-coronavirus-ymca-summer-camp-cdc-report-finds/EL5FFTVSDVETRGROPEXK6CIZNM/

9 hours ago, headoverheels said:

The typical US test result time is about 9 days, but who knows? In any event such a high percentage of young people with positive results is disastrous.

15 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

The typical US test result time is about 9 days, but who knows? In any event such a high percentage of young people with positive results is disastrous.

Why specifically the young people?

If they properly quarantine, and follow the rules, they are the least probable to have a bad outcome.

8 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

If they properly quarantine, and follow the rules, they are the least probable to have a bad outcome.

34 minutes ago, billvon said:

Because people believed "young people don't catch it as often" which was used as justification to reopen schools.

Then they spread it to their parents and more vulnerable people.

TEXAS IMPLEMENTS DEATH PANELS!

"Unfortunately, Starr County Memorial Hospital has limited resources and our doctors are going to have to decide who receives treatment, and who is sent home to die by their loved ones. This is what we did not want our community to experience."

Just like Sarah Palin predicted, but for a different president.

48 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Wow. That this needs to be patiently explained to anyone at this juncture tells you all you need to know about how how screwed we are.

IMO he knew that already but sometimes he wants a running dialogue with everyone. I get sucked in sometimes.

Faux news and its supporting puppets also have a trump supporting dialogue whereby children are safe from covid. This is also a possibility.

6 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

I have never believed that.  Less likely to perish - but not less likely to be infected.

I don't know anyone that did.

Trump: "They don't catch it easily, they don't bring it home easily . . .Children are a tiny percentage, less than 1% and even a small percentage of 1%."

Devos: "
More and more studies show that kids are actually stoppers of the disease and they don’t get it and transmit it themselves, so we should be in a posture of — the default should be getting back to school kids in person, in the classroom."

Guess you missed that, huh.

10 hours ago, turtlespeed said:
10 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

I would say because we're now just learning about the long term effects of the disease, possibly even degenerative effects over time.

3 minutes ago, billvon said:

Trump: "They don't catch it easily, they don't bring it home easily . . .Children are a tiny percentage, less than 1% and even a small percentage of 1%."

Devos: "
More and more studies show that kids are actually stoppers of the disease and they don’t get it and transmit it themselves, so we should be in a posture of — the default should be getting back to school kids in person, in the classroom."

Guess you missed that, huh.

I guess I did.

That doesn't go along with what limited knowledge I have with how a virus acts. 

13 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

The typical US test result time is about 9 days, but who knows?

This is the part I'm still having a hard time getting past. How TF is the delay still that long, this far into the pandemic? I understand that with the higher numbers/population that this strains resources, but also wouldn't you by that same token have more infrastructure and staff available?

I had to get tested this week as we've had known rogue cases enter my city (QLD, Aus) after we'd effectively hit zero community transmission. Despite the city going from maybe a dozen tests a day to literally thousands overnight, I still got my results back in just over 48 hours.

2 minutes ago, mistercwood said:

This is the part I'm still having a hard time getting past. How TF is the delay still that long, this far into the pandemic? I understand that with the higher numbers/population that this strains resources, but also wouldn't you by that same token have more infrastructure and staff available?

I had to get tested this week as we've had known rogue cases enter my city (QLD, Aus) after we'd effectively hit zero community transmission. Despite the city going from maybe a dozen tests a day to literally thousands overnight, I still got my results back in just over 48 hours.

I was tested at CVS drive through. It took 29 days for results. The result? "Test not performed"

I had an elective orthopaedic surgery in late June (I was in the recovery room when the announcement came through that they were stopping elective surgeries in Dallas county, slipped in under the wire) and as part of the pre-surgery protocol I was required to get a test.  They swabbed me at 11am and I had my results at 8pm that day.

A lot's changed since June and I don't know if the 9-day turnarounds we're hearing about are the extreme examples or how prevalent those wait-times are, but at least in one system at one point fairly recently the turnaround times were fairly quick.

3 minutes ago, lippy said:

I had an elective orthopaedic surgery in late June (I was in the recovery room when the announcement came through that they were stopping elective surgeries in Dallas county, slipped in under the wire) and as part of the pre-surgery protocol I was required to get a test.  They swabbed me at 11am and I had my results at 8pm that day.

A lot's changed since June and I don't know if the 9-day turnarounds we're hearing about are the extreme examples or how prevalent those wait-times are, but at least in one system at one point fairly recently the turnaround times were fairly quick.

Lab was probably in the same hospital.

From July 13, “We attribute this demand primarily to the rapid, continuing spread of COVID-19 infections across the nation but particularly in the South, Southwest and West regions of the country,” Quest Diagnostics said in a statement. The test manufacturer added that it can now perform up to 125,000 tests per day, roughly double its capacity compared with two months ago.

“Despite that dramatic increase, demand for testing is increasing even faster,” the company said. “As a result, our average turnaround time for reporting test results is slightly more than 1 day for our priority 1 patients. However, our average turnaround time for all other populations is 7 or more days.”