5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

51 minutes ago, DougH said:

My wife recently gave birth to our first child in January. She is breastfeeding, and I have been amazed and the innate intelligence in that whole biological system. In other words I am sure boobs everywhere would be insulted by this comparison. xD The boobs are way smarter than that.

Congratulations. 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2020 at 10:38 AM, yoink said:

From article:

"A dozen patients had inflammation of the central nervous system, 10 had brain disease with delirium or psychosis, eight had strokes and a further eight had peripheral nerve problems, mostly diagnosed as Guillain-Barré syndrome, an immune reaction that attacks the nerves and causes paralysis. It is fatal in 5% of cases."

Freaky stuff.  I'm just wondering if they're saying that these disorders are directly caused by corona whereby anyone can be affected like this, or is covid exacerbating certain medical conditions.  for example, is it causing Guillain-Barré syndrome, or is it making the symptoms of that disease more severe.

(not trying to dismiss anything, just trying to understand.)

1 hour ago, kallend said:

I'm still waiting for someone who thinks mask requirements infringe on their freedoms to explain why breast covering requirements don't infringe on womens' freedoms.

FYI:

Boulder CO is currently requiring masks on all employees and customers of businesses open to the public.

Boulder CO still does not require women to cover their breasts.

^_^

1 hour ago, Coreece said:

Freaky stuff.  I'm just wondering if they're saying that these disorders are directly caused by corona whereby anyone can be affected like this, or is covid exacerbating certain medical conditions.  for example, is it causing Guillain-Barré syndrome, or is it making the symptoms of that disease more severe.

Probably a combination of both.  We are learning more about the disease, and one thing that's become clear is that it's not a respiratory disease - it's a vascular disease, one that enters through the lungs.  It certainly can exacerbate many other conditions, but it is also causing several maladies, including stroke, kidney failure and peripheral ischemia.

From the UK Metro news site:

============

A young conspiracy theorist has died of coronavirus after trying to catch the disease at a ‘Covid party’ to prove it was a hoax.

The unidentified victim, who was in their 30s and from San Antonio in Texas, spoke of their regret to a nurse after testing positive for Covid-19 and being rushed to hospital, where they later died.

Dr Jane Appleby, from Methodist Healthcare said: ‘Just before the patient died, they looked at their nurse and said “I think I made a mistake, I thought this was a hoax, but it’s not.”‘ Dr Appleby also spoke of her horror at hearing how the Covid-19 victim had attended a party with someone who tested positive for the disease in a bid to disprove experts’ warnings about the danger coronavirus poses. She told News4: ‘This is a party held by somebody diagnosed by the Covid virus and the thought is to see if the virus is real and to see if anyone gets infected… It doesn’t discriminate and none of us are invincible. I don’t want to be an alarmist and we’re just trying to share some real-world examples to help our community realize that this virus is very serious and can spread easily.’

Texas has seen a massive surge in coronavirus cases since mid-June, and has now recorded more than 250,000 diagnoses, and over 3,100 deaths. Governor Greg Abbott has ordered his citizens to wear a mask in public, after being criticized for reopening the Lone Star state too early.

=============

27 minutes ago, billvon said:

From the UK Metro news site:

============

A young conspiracy theorist has died of coronavirus after trying to catch the disease at a ‘Covid party’ to prove it was a hoax.

The unidentified victim, who was in their 30s and from San Antonio in Texas, spoke of their regret to a nurse after testing positive for Covid-19 and being rushed to hospital, where they later died.

Dr Jane Appleby, from Methodist Healthcare said: ‘Just before the patient died, they looked at their nurse and said “I think I made a mistake, I thought this was a hoax, but it’s not.”‘ Dr Appleby also spoke of her horror at hearing how the Covid-19 victim had attended a party with someone who tested positive for the disease in a bid to disprove experts’ warnings about the danger coronavirus poses. She told News4: ‘This is a party held by somebody diagnosed by the Covid virus and the thought is to see if the virus is real and to see if anyone gets infected… It doesn’t discriminate and none of us are invincible. I don’t want to be an alarmist and we’re just trying to share some real-world examples to help our community realize that this virus is very serious and can spread easily.’

Texas has seen a massive surge in coronavirus cases since mid-June, and has now recorded more than 250,000 diagnoses, and over 3,100 deaths. Governor Greg Abbott has ordered his citizens to wear a mask in public, after being criticized for reopening the Lone Star state too early.

=============

As my static line instructor said to me during my first jump course, “If yer gonna be dumb, yud better be tough.’

6 hours ago, kallend said:

I'm still waiting for someone who thinks mask requirements infringe on their freedoms to explain why breast covering requirements don't infringe on womens' freedoms.

That idea can be simplified even further with "no shoes, no shirt, no service."

19 minutes ago, billvon said:
1 hour ago, Coreece said:

That idea can be simplified even further with "no shoes, no shirt, no service."

Yep.  In many places that is now "no shoes, no shirt, no mask, no service."

I believe Michigan's law starts Monday.

$500 fine and possible misdemeanor charge.  Not sure what the penalties are in other states.

(edited)
5 hours ago, billvon said:

Yep.  In many places that is now "no shoes, no shirt, no mask, no service."

"But ... but... this is AMERICA!  It's a FREE COUNTRY!  You can't tell me I have to wear a mask in your (privately owned) business!!"

[facepalm]

Yeah, it may be much more widely accepted to be told you have to wear a mask in order to patronize any particular private business, than to have state-wide mandates for everyone/everywhere.  Then again....

Edited by TriGirl
(hit "enter" before I was finished!)

(edited)

and still everyone acts like nothing is going on. Everyone thinks it will never happen to them. It's no different in skydiving. Ask anyone who doesent jump with an RSL. They all think they are the exception and bad stuff only happens to others, but never them. Well here is a news flash. Everyone has to die from something and 99% of those who died from Covid probably thought it wouldent have happened to them.

Edited by Westerly
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Westerly said:

and still everyone acts like nothing is going on. Everyone thinks it will never happen to them. It's no different in skydiving. Ask anyone who doesent jump with an RSL. They all think they are the exception and bad stuff only happens to others, but never them. Well here is a news flash. Everyone has to die from something and 99% of those who died from Covid probably thought it wouldent have happened to them.

Yep.  And there are a lot of people who were very vocal about it being a hoax who are now dead, too.

The latest was a 30 year old at a Texas hospital who went to a "COVID party" because he thought it was a hoax.  One of the last things he said before he died was "you know, I think I made a mistake. I thought this was a hoax, but it’s not."

I hope more people learn that _before_ they are hours from death.

50 minutes ago, TriGirl said:

"But ... but... this is AMERICA!  It's a FREE COUNTRY!  You can't tell me I have to wear a mask in your (privately owned) business!!"

The other new meme is a picture of two Petri dishes with growth medium in them.  One, breathed on by someone wearing a mask, is clear.  The other one, breathed on by someone not wearing a mask, is covered with colonies.  The takeaway, according to the anti-mask people?  Masks trap deadly viruses in your lungs instead of letting them escape.

5 hours ago, billvon said:

Yep.  And there are a lot of people who were very vocal about it being a hoax who are now dead, too.

The latest was a 30 year old at a Texas hospital who went to a "COVID party" because he thought it was a hoax.  One of the last things he said before he died was "you know, I think I made a mistake. I thought this was a hoax, but it’s not."

I hope more people learn that _before_ they are hours from death.

There was another guy from Ohio who was quite vocal on social media about the hoax virus

Man, 37, who died from coronavirus had dismissed pandemic ‘hype’ on Facebook

I'm sure there are many more and I'm sure there are plenty of complacent people from left as the right but If you are going to put all your faith that a gob shite politician is going to save you then you really deserve what you get.

Here in the UK face masks are mandatory in Scotland but in England Biffo "the clown" Johnson is dragging his feet and he will make an announcement about face covering "in the next few days"

It's not rocket science.

I wear a mask when I go out to the shops and a few other people are  also wearing masks of some sort but nearly enough are wearing masks at the moment to fully eradicate the virus. 

I’ve had to travel recently (fortunately I can bring my house with me), and am exclusively taking my business to places that require masks. Now that’s not a major blow to anyone’s budget, but it’s at least a little protection of me. 
Wendy P. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, kallend said:

An excellent article (as usual) from The Atlantic about cognitive dissonance in the context of the pandemic.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/07/role-cognitive-dissonance-pandemic/614074/

(As an aside, it would apply equally to the climate change thread).

The mention of Heaven's Gate in the article reminds me of a comment that circulated afterward, and is still relevant today:

"So many idiots, so few comets."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kallend said:

An excellent article (as usual) from The Atlantic about cognitive dissonance in the context of the pandemic.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/07/role-cognitive-dissonance-pandemic/614074/

(As an aside, it would apply equally to the climate change thread).

35 minutes ago, ryoder said:

The mention of Heaven's Gate in the article reminds me of a comment that circulated afterward, and is still relevant today:

"So many idiots, so few comets."

It also explains how it is that dictators and despots. Who can control a narrative can keep large segments of the population loyal and submissive. That would include N. Korea, China, Russia and a few others.

For most of the world where information is not restricted. It illustrates a bereft of critical thinking. i.e. “those who stand to gain from the manipulation of truth often prey on those bereft of critical thinking.”

8 hours ago, billvon said:

The other new meme is a picture of two Petri dishes with growth medium in them.  One, breathed on by someone wearing a mask, is clear.  The other one, breathed on by someone not wearing a mask, is covered with colonies.  The takeaway, according to the anti-mask people?  Masks trap deadly viruses in your lungs instead of letting them escape.

*facepalm

The Trump administration is now going after Fauci.

Trump retweeted the following today: "So based on Dr. Fauci and the Democrats, I will need an ID card to go shopping but not to vote?" (Which of course isn't true.)  "The most outrageous lies are the ones about Covid 19. Everyone is lying. The CDC, Media, Democrats, our Doctors, not all but most, that we are told to trust. I think it's all about the election and keeping the economy from coming back, which is about the election. I'm sick of it."

So we are back to the "COVID-19 is a hoax" meme.  Most doctors and scientists and the CDC are all lying to us.  Only Trump knows what's really going on.

I am starting to think that Trump really might be able to push the death toll into the millions.

4 minutes ago, billvon said:

...I am starting to think that Trump really might be able to push the death toll into the millions.

Might? Pfft.

He wants schools to re-open.
He wants society to reopen.
He dismissed masks.
He ignores the experts.

All because he thinks it will 'go away'.

We're fucked.
Really & truly.

Covid remains a very regional problem.  In Ohio the 5 counties with the highest numbers are under a mask-wearing order.  Remove those counties and the Ohio death toll is 1,254.  In my little slice of Ohio there have been 1,244 cases, 213 hospitalizations, and 116 deaths.  That's in a county with a population of just under 371,000.

While not to be toyed with you need to take a closer look at what's happening around you on a local level.