5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

9 hours ago, kallend said:
10 hours ago, Coreece said:

At this point I think we might need to acknowledge that there's a difference between conspiracy theorists and just being an idiot.

Conspiracy theorists are a subset.

I'm willing to give a pass to those that at least still wear a mask.

On 6/27/2020 at 6:36 AM, RobertMBlevins said:

From my recent post at Quora, the Q and A site:

Covid-19 and The Future? A Sci-Fi Author Gives it to You Straight

1. They WILL develop a vaccine for Covid-19, and they WILL stop it in its tracks. But we should learn a lesson from this as well. The lesson is that we need to finance a much bigger effort to coordinate and control future pandemics - BEFORE they become a problem that kills so many people worldwide. We were under-prepared this time. We were caught sleeping on the job. Maybe next time we won’t be.

I wouldent be so sure about that. There are MANY other diseases that have existed for decades, even centuries, and have killed far more people than Covid-19 but have absolutely no vaccine or in many cases, not even any reasonable treatment. MOST viruses have no vaccine and no cure. Even those viruses which we do have a vaccine for (e.g. the flu), in some cases the vaccine is only a bit better than 50/50 effective. Taking the flu vaccine reduces your chances of getting the flu by about 60%, which is pretty far from being anything close to resembling a cure.

Even if we had a 100% effective vaccine right now, by the time you personally get access to it you'll likely have already been infected. Creating the supplies and logistics needed to administer a vaccine to 7 billion people is a multi-year effort by itself. Then of course there is the cost. I wouldent be surprised if the corporation that develops said vaccine charges $5,000 a shot for it.

17 minutes ago, Westerly said:

I wouldent be so sure about that. There are MANY other diseases that have existed for decades, even centuries, and have killed far more people than Covid-19 but have absolutely no vaccine or in many cases, not even any reasonable treatment. MOST viruses have no vaccine and no cure. Even those viruses which we do have a vaccine for (e.g. the flu), in some cases the vaccine is only a bit better than 50/50 effective. Taking the flu vaccine reduces your chances of getting the flu by about 60%, which is pretty far from being anything close to resembling a cure.

"The flu" is not one virus; It is a vast hierarchy of viruses. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza#Types_of_virus

The annual flu vaccine is designed for only 3 or 4 of these, based on educated guesses of which will be in the majority circulating when the vaccine is completed. So there is always the possibility you may get a virus that was not one of those chosen for the vaccine. Flu viruses are all part of the Orthomyxoviridae family.

COVID-19 is part of the Orthocoronavirinae family. Others in the family which afflict humans are SARS, MERS, and 4 mild variants that are considered part of the 200 referred to as "common colds". So a vaccine for COVID-19 needs to target just one virus: SARS-CoV-2.

16 minutes ago, kallend said:

No other nation does antigen tests, right?

The US doesn't add them in either.

They were doing it at the end of May, but have since stopped. I think. I can only find stories from the end of May that said they were combining them and planned on stopping.

Positive antibody tests are still being counted in the 'probable' cases, but not the 'confirmed' cases.

And Florida never combined the numbers. 

Ohio is not counting them in confirmed, but is in probables:
https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/continuing-coverage/coronavirus/local-coronavirus-news/are-antibody-tests-included-in-the-states-reporting-yes-and-no

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

The US doesn't add them in either.

They were doing it at the end of May, but have since stopped. I think. I can only find stories from the end of May that said they were combining them and planned on stopping.

Positive antibody tests are still being counted in the 'probable' cases, but not the 'confirmed' cases.

Who said anything about antibody tests?

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

And Florida never combined the numbers. 

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/14/876584284/fired-florida-data-scientist-launches-a-coronavirus-dashboard-of-her-own

I wouldn't trust anything Florida did with numbers at this point. This article is a couple of weeks old but I caught an interview with said data scientist this morning that drew my attention to it. 

Incompetence or just evil - in their own words:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/30/opinion/world-war-c.html

Just a sample follows:

We think we have it very well under control. We have contained this. I won’t say airtight, but pretty close to airtight. We have done a good job in the United States.

It’s going to disappear. One day, like a miracle, it’s going to disappear. At worst — worst case scenario — it could be the flu.

We’re prepared, and we’re doing a great job with it.

It’s going to go away … when you look at the kind of numbers that you’re seeing coming out of other countries, it’s pretty amazing when you think of it.

This is a pandemic. I felt it was a pandemic long before it was called a pandemic.

It looks like we’ll be at about a 60,000 mark, which is 40,000 less than the lowest number thought of.

Minimal numbers were going to be 100,000 people. And we’re going to be, hopefully, far below that.

So we have between 100 and 200,000, and we altogether have done a very good job.

(edited)

There are so many tourists in San Diego now. It’s like any usual year. So many license plates from Arizona and Florida...

FUCK OFF! Stay at home. Why are you vacationing right now????

We’re so fucked. The director of the CDC says it’s past the point of being able to control, and Fauci says to expect 100,000 cases a day.

We’re to the point where you personally just have to do all you can to avoid catching it until there’s a vaccine, or HOPING that when you inevitably DO catch the virus that it doesn’t kill you.

Fucking top job, America. This is what happens when you mix science and politics you fucking IDIOTS.

A global or country wide pandemic requires a unified response, led by a functional government. ‘Let the States do what they want’ is a chickenshit way of responding and will have a quarter of a million dead by Christmas.

Edited by yoink
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ryoder said:

naive-stupid.jpeg

We are most definitely in the stupid phase.  I see very little social distancing here.  Mask use is up finally.  In Ohio I think the younger crowd just got tired of it all.  As soon  as the bars re-opened you could see what was next.

14 minutes ago, airdvr said:

And again...you seem to turn a blind eye to Pelosi in Chinatown and Cuomo and Diblasie.  Yet those 2 states account for for 24% of the cases and 30% of the deaths.  why weren't they as smart as you in knowing Trump was wrong?

Are you replying to me?

12 minutes ago, airdvr said:

In Ohio I think the younger crowd just got tired of it all. 

This is the problem with a second lockdown. I think people are so bored they'll just say 'well it obviously didn't work last time' and just go about their business anyway.

2 hours ago, airdvr said:

And again...you seem to turn a blind eye to Pelosi in Chinatown and Cuomo and de Blasio.  Yet those 2 states account for for 24% of the cases and 30% of the deaths.  why weren't they as smart as you in knowing Trump was wrong?

We're having the same basic discussion in two different threads.

The "Atlantic" story linked in post 2552 covers it fairly well.

Pelosi went to Chinatown (a district in San Francisco, in the US) after Trump attacked the Chinese here in the US. At that time, the infection wasn't really taking off. 

Cuomo & de Blasio were given a shit situation, that got really bad really fast. They made mistakes, but admitted them, did their best to correct them and now have the situation somewhat under control. New York is reopening in a measured manner, following the science. 

Unlike Florida, Texas, Arizona...

And Wisconsin. We're seeing a pretty big spike here in the last week or so.
New case numbers double or triple what they were a few weeks ago.

Mostly the 'younger crowd'. Reports are saying that many (most?) of the infections are coming from people gathering indoors, in larger groups. Not surprising at all.

2 hours ago, airdvr said:

And again...you seem to turn a blind eye to Pelosi in Chinatown and Cuomo and Diblasie.  Yet those 2 states account for for 24% of the cases and 30% of the deaths.  why weren't they as smart as you in knowing Trump was wrong?

They were smarter than Trump at a time when no-one really knew what was going on anyway.  Both NY and CA are entrance gateways to the USA.

Pelosi has no executive authority.  Sometime you should read the US Constitution, you might find it instructive.

The overwhelming bulk of the blame lies with the President of the USA whose primary job is the protection of the nation and its people - not lying, denying, delaying and playing golf.