5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

51 minutes ago, normiss said:

Also when most locations started their "re-openings". Crowded beaches, restaurants, bars. Sharing the covid love!

The green actually marks that event.

image.png.a81d9fe5adf04a34fa252685e494b6d1.png

What I can interpret (rather what seems logical to me) is that the decline slowed when the opening up started, but we still had a steady decline.  That decline leveled, then gained momentum again.

THEN shortly after the backlash from the protests began, and we see a shallow rise from those events.

Group all that with a lot of people just not willing to stay home anymore and you have what we have now.

6 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Not exactly.

But he forgot to include the start of the 'open up' protests. 

I would find it a bit hard to believe that those would not produce a spike, when the BLM protests did. 

Well, let's look at that more intelligently than through political blinders or racist shade:

How to evaluate coronavirus risks - Scientific American

Yes, there are a lot of factors that go into risk.

BLM protesters often kept spacing, and wore masks. At least the peaceful ones did.

Around here, the 'open up' came when the state Supreme Court tossed out the governor's order, with no waiting period, restricitons, or anything.

That night, bars all over the state opened up and were absolutely packed.

Since then, cases is younger folks, (20s - 30s) have spiked pretty hard. A couple of counties have seen case numbers double in short timeframes.

Lacrosse county (west side of the state) had cases that traced back to several bars. The health dept identified a bunch of them, and advised any patrons of those places who had been there the first weekend of June that they had a possible exposure. 

Total positives (and percentage of positive test results) have been fairly stable.

But they aren't declining.

It's going to be a long and ugly summer.

7 hours ago, normiss said:

Understand. I'm doing my best to support alcohol sales!

We've had take out / curb pickup a few times, but we are isolating ourselves for the most part. Unsure how long it could take to actually feel comfortable in public.

My youngest daughter stopped over for dad's day dinner. It's been a challenge to see my girls during this. Yesterday she texted me her mom had been exposed at work and was being tested. She apologized, said she felt we should know, and said she would let us know the results. Given it's my ex, I'm somewhat torn (ok - not really, but it's an interesting twist to a crazy woman), but seriously hope we haven't all been exposed now. With the public lack of concern added with the scornful response, it would seem we may all be exposed at some point though.

dammit. I had hoped America was smarter than this.

The personal sacrifices that you and other Americans are making will not show up in American history of this event. Germans, Italians and others are sick of the isolation that covid requires as well. Instead there will be numbers and images of packed bars, oh and trump campaign events. That reflect poorly on the same people that contributed greatly and with huge personal sacrifice. Helped win two world wars.

Texas had 5489 new positive test results today.

Before any Trumpettes jump on the 'it's because they're doing more tests' bandwagon, the positive percentage has jumped from 3% to 9%. That percentage is not related to how many tests are done (it can go a bit lower if a lot of tests are done because more uninfected people will be tested). 

Hospitalizations are at an all time high too (also unrelated to testing numbers).

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/06/23/882504575/5-489-new-covid-19-cases-texas-reports-new-all-time-daily-high?

(edited)
2 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

the positive percentage has jumped from 3% to 9%.

Except that in a lot of areas; they won't let you take a test unless you have symptoms. Showing symptoms = > chance of having it than not. 

Edited by BIGUN

4 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Except that in a lot of areas; they won't let you take a test unless you have symptoms. Showing symptoms = > chance of having it than not. 

What areas are those?   That was certainly the case 1-2 months ago, but I am now seeing a lot of promotion of just going for a free test, no requirement for referral or symptoms or contact with an infected person.   I've not been in a public establishment since mid-March, and no symptoms, so I have no interest in being tested.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Which proves Joe's point that the increased number of positives isn't just a result of more widespread testing -- it is because there is an increase in the growth of infections.

E.U. May Bar American Travelers as It Reopens Borders, Citing Failures on Virus

NYT link 

Sadly I think this is necessary given that the US seems unwilling to tackle this problem as aggressively as needed. I know some European countries are seeing local spikes but the last thing they need is visitors from high risk countries. I can only hope that the UK follows this course of action but I have no faith that "Biffo The Clown" Johnson will do the right thing for the UK

7 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Do you think it's not getting worse?

Do you think it's not going to get a lot worse?

Or do you think it's 'just going to go away'?

13 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

“You have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero".

2 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

It is getting and will continue to get worse, nor is it going  to go away. Why would you ask me these rhetorical questions?

6 hours ago, headoverheels said:

What areas are those?   That was certainly the case 1-2 months ago, but I am now seeing a lot of promotion of just going for a free test, no requirement for referral or symptoms or contact with an infected person.   I've not been in a public establishment since mid-March, and no symptoms, so I have no interest in being tested.

It happened to me again just last week. I contacted the VA and they said., "Do you have a fever," "No." If your temp gets over 101, then come in for a test. In fairness, the Health Department on Monday ran an ad to come in and get tested.  

1 minute ago, BIGUN said:

It happened to me again just last week. I contacted the VA and they said., "Do you have a fever," "No." If your temp gets over 101, then come in for a test. In fairness, the Health Department on Monday ran an ad to come in and get tested.  

Every time I cough, once every couple days, I think "covid cough". I feel bad for the US states like Texas where results are spiking. There will be many many vulnerable people and those who look after them. Who will be worried all the time. On top of that every business has staff that has to clean and deal with the mess.

On 6/18/2020 at 1:54 PM, ryoder said:

Interesting explanation of the engineering in an N95 mask:

Good to know about the decontamination methods at the end of the video and how bleach, soap or alcohol could damage the mask's effectiveness.

3 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

I'm still trucking into WI and the mid-west in general. But I'm thinking of quitting soon. The last few cases here in Manitoba have been traced to truckers working cross border into the Infected States of America.

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

The last few cases here in Manitoba have been traced to truckers working cross border into the Infected States of America.

Why would you say that?

NEW Last updated: June 23, 2020

Public health officials advise no new cases of COVID-19 were identified as of 9:30 a.m. today. The total number of lab-confirmed positive and probable positive cases in Manitoba remains 314.

The data also shows:

• no individuals in hospital or intensive care;
  • 14 active cases and 293 individuals who have recovered from COVID-19; and
  • the number of deaths due to COVID-19 remains at seven.

As of yesterday, an additional 581 laboratory tests were performed. This brings the total number of tests performed since early February to 58,801.

https://www.gov.mb.ca/covid19/updates/index.html

23 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Why would you say that?

Because although there have been no new cases here for a couple days the ones that we have had lately have come from truckers.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-covid-19-update-1.5600052

The update means three of the last four cases identified in the Winnipeg region have been truck drivers. Last week, two other truck drivers tested positive for COVID-19.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-covid-19-update-1.5593375

There have also been some cases imported from Alberta, where there is a political push back against Covid prevention measures (like wearing masks) among some people.

Just now, BIGUN said:

Thanks for the info. To have your population and that little a number of CoVID-19 is pretty good. I assume you have some type of N95 mask?

I wear a Vigil neck buff. When I'm trucking I isolate myself in the truck. Shippers and receivers in the US are mostly taking things seriously. I don't go into truck stops and I do my best to bring all the food I need for my normal 6 days on the road. Manitoba has a small population and is not a travel destination in the early spring. We are lucky that way. But we have been taking the same precautions as everyone else. Schools closed, bars and restaurants closed. We are re-opening now slowly. The DZ is now open and doing some tandems, but not me. I'm taking enough chances already for a 63 yo with a wife who is a working nurse.

• Like 2