5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

1 hour ago, ryoder said:

New Zealand implemented strict measures 20 days after its first reported case.

20 days after the first reported US case our fearless leader was still denying a problem and claiming it would go away by magic in April.  "15 cases, soon to be zero".

It took 54 days for our leader to figure out that there was a health emergency and even then did nothing about it.

Exponential growth is very unforgiving of delays.  Viruses don't respond to denial.

18 hours ago, kallend said:

My wife is an MD and among her network of colleagues is an ICU doc in Tucson.  He says his hospital's ICU is really stressed right now due to a spike on severe CV-19 cases.  Another case of opening up too soon?

https://tucson.com/news/local/rising-covid-19-cases-prompt-city-of-tucson-to-delay-reopening-of-its-facilities/article_80b875c1-69cd-5c90-8e37-f1fb83ca706d.html

State-wide, apparently:

Arizona coronavirus cases surged weeks after reopening, straining the state’s largest health-care system. State health officials reported 1,438 new cases on Sunday, following a week of record highs, with an unprecedented 1,579 new cases disclosed on Friday. 

On 6/2/2020 at 9:26 AM, Bigfalls said:

It will be interesting to see what the effect the large gathering of protesters in a number of cities has on the spread of the corona virus.  Not everyone is wearing masks or practicing social (physical) distancing.  Will the result be a spike in number of cases or not much effect.  If the latter is the case, maybe the situation can ease up a little.  About 2 weeks time will tell.

Of course it will

7 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

When 511 Epidemiologists Expect to Fly, Hug and Do 18 Other Everyday Activities Again

trump, states Governors, your boss, your kids, etc. All have ideas as to when you should go to a restaurant, go on a A/C, visit the mother-in-law, etc. This lengthy article racks the risk of such actions together with when the experts in C-19 would do it themselves.

Perhaps stock market investors should temper their current bull run.

And they'll do ALL those things before they ever use a dip bowl again...

Wendy P.

(edited)
53 minutes ago, kallend said:

Not just Arizona.  Looks like the second wave arrived already.

https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/second-us-virus-wave-emerges-after-state-reopenings

Until vaccines are available people will have to social distance and be prudent about any contacts with any surfaces. These waves will be attacking the leaky ship and missing any watches could be disaster.

Until January 20, 2021 the US federal govt will be absent from the answer.

Quarantine fatigue: Governors reject new lockdowns as virus cases spike

Edited by Phil1111

On 5/27/2020 at 4:12 PM, skydave114 said:

There are many countries where criticizing the government will get you arrested, and maybe even killed. China (where the virus came from) for example. The whole country of North Korea is essentially a prison.

Speaking of NK - 

This was a bit of an oops for Kim apparently. . . .

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1293283/north-korea-news-kim-jong-un-latest-defectors-south-korea/amp

I don't know anything about the source.

12 hours ago, nigel99 said:

These trump rallies have raised new host of issues. Clearly the whole planning of these rallies is to circumvent social distancing ideas of safety. So should they be applauded for a place of the stupid, the ignorant, the trump supporter. To get exactly what they deserve?

Obviously the conductor of these gatherings of fools should get his just reward. Is that appropriate as he could illustrate to the world his personal 'Extraordinary' Health  and his  hydroxychloroquine solution?

(edited)
3 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

These trump rallies have raised new host of issues. Clearly the whole planning of these rallies is to circumvent social distancing ideas of safety. So should they be applauded for a place of the stupid, the ignorant, the trump supporter. To get exactly what they deserve?

Obviously the conductor of these gatherings of fools should get his just reward. Is that appropriate as he could illustrate to the world his personal 'Extraordinary' Health  and his  hydroxychloroquine solution?

No - they should be treated the same as the stupid it takes to take over a city block attempting to convert it to a self sustaining free land, and then the homeless steal all the food and . . .  ;P

Edited by turtlespeed

9 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Meanwhile, here in Islandia, small island nations without resources or options took the whole Covid-19 thing pretty damn seriously. And they've been beating the bug. I've personally spent more weeks in lockdown this year than at any time since I got caught looking in my sisters underwear drawer. Today, after a 4 day sail to Aruba I'm in quarantine again. Only 10 more days because of the 4 days at sea credit. Everywhere it's been two weeks. Sometimes in a selected hotel at your own expense. But the result is that when you are out you are free to move about in as Covid-19 free environment as you can hope for these days. Strong Leadership based on science is the difference. 

What is now slightly annoying is the USA. Islands are forming "bubbles" where you can travel between islands in the bubble without quarantine. But, and no great surprise, the US is seen as an "at risk" nation. When we complete quarantine here, if we choose, we can go to other bubble nations. But..... as soon as flights from the US start arriving that stops. Then, because once again you are pinned in place, choosing carefully is very important.

These places do not care if we have 13 Nuclear powered Aircraft Carrier Battle Groups. They would simply like it if we took seriously the novel notion of not sending sick people to their country.

We really are becoming a Banana Republic.

Is Trump Trying to Spread Covid-19?

Does he start each day wondering what expert advice to ignore next?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/16/opinion/trump-coronavirus.html

. . . . .

We know that countries where everyone wears a mask outside the home sharply reduce the spread and that people who practice strict social distancing infect fewer people and are infected less often. And we know that people who avoid “superspreading” events — large, prolonged social gatherings, religious services and crammed nightclubs and workplaces, where one highly contagious person can quickly spew the virus to many others — are less likely to get infected.

Top government expert Dr. Anthony Fauci has pointed out that taking just these relatively easy steps, plus testing, tracing chains of transmission and quarantining the infected, would tamp down what appears to be a brewing, post-lockdown resurgence and limit the number of people needing hospitalization as we await a vaccine.

And yet we have a president who, instead of wearing a mask, turns defiance of mask-wearing into a heroic act of defiance against liberals; who forces 1,100 West Point cadets to travel back to campus, and quarantine for two weeks, so he can get a photo op addressing their graduation; who is planning a mass rally in Tulsa, Okla., on Saturday — where the most notable precaution is that you sign a legal disclaimer that you “voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to Covid-19 and agree not to hold Donald J. Trump for President Inc.” liable — and who hails governors who open bars and restaurants for people to crowd together.

It is absolutely devilish — like Trump wakes up every morning and asks himself: What health expert’s advice can I defy today? What simple gesture to reduce the odds that the coronavirus continues to surge, post-lockdowns, can I ignore today? What quack remedy can I promote today?

. . . . .

(edited)

Bad: 2 hair stylists with COVID-19 symptoms continued working and served 140 customers.

Good: Both stylists and all of their customers wore masks and none of the 140 customers got sick.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/11/us/missouri-hairstylists-coronavirus-clients-trnd/index.html

Good evidence that masks work.

Edited by ryoder

12 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Bad: 2 hair stylists with COVID-19 symptoms continued working and served 140 customers.

Good: Both stylists and all of their customers wore masks and none of the 140 customers got sick.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/11/us/missouri-hairstylists-coronavirus-clients-trnd/index.html

Well, still anecdote, but a compelling one. 

Wendy P.

34 minutes ago, kallend said:

Is Trump Trying to Spread Covid-19?

Does he start each day wondering what expert advice to ignore next?...

like Trump wakes up every morning and asks himself: What health expert’s advice can I defy today? What simple gesture to reduce the odds that the coronavirus continues to surge, post-lockdowns, can I ignore today? What quack remedy can I promote today?

. . . . .

Nah, he just turns on FOX and OAN. So he can be told what to think.

5 minutes ago, wmw999 said:
18 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Well, still anecdote, but a compelling one. 

My guess it's the sudden blast of acetone fumes the second you walk into those places. 

And if that doesn't work, all the hairspray and hot air from blow dryers and gossip act as a secondary defense.  I can't say I blame corona for avoiding hostile environments like that - gotta choose your battles wisely.

Just when you thought you could relieve yourself in peace. Flushing the Toilet May Fling Coronavirus Aerosols All Over

"Scientists have found that in addition to clearing out whatever business you’ve left behind, flushing a toilet can generate a cloud of aerosol droplets that rises nearly three feet. Those droplets may linger in the air long enough to be inhaled by a shared toilet’s next user, or land on surfaces in the bathroom.

This toilet plume isn’t just gross. In simulations, it can carry infectious coronavirus particles that are already present in the surrounding air or recently shed in a person’s stool. The research, published Tuesday in the journal Physics of Fluids, adds to growing evidence that the coronavirus can be passed not only through respiratory droplets, but through virus-laden feces, too."

Remember science isn't gross, its fact.

My sister-in-law the infection control nurse (and avid counter-cleaner and telephone-sanitizer) said that the exposure from this is actually not very significant, because it's more likely to be individual virus or bacteria particles, rather that the numbers required to reliably start something.

Or at least that's what I gathered when I brought up the idea of always closing the toilet lid cover in a VERY small bathroom (6X6, including bathtub) in a cabin we shared for a weekend.

Wendy P.

21 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Just when you thought you could relieve yourself in peace. Flushing the Toilet May Fling Coronavirus Aerosols All Over

"Scientists have found that in addition to clearing out whatever business you’ve left behind, flushing a toilet can generate a cloud of aerosol droplets that rises nearly three feet. Those droplets may linger in the air long enough to be inhaled by a shared toilet’s next user, or land on surfaces in the bathroom.

This toilet plume isn’t just gross. In simulations, it can carry infectious coronavirus particles that are already present in the surrounding air or recently shed in a person’s stool. The research, published Tuesday in the journal Physics of Fluids, adds to growing evidence that the coronavirus can be passed not only through respiratory droplets, but through virus-laden feces, too."

Remember science isn't gross, its fact.

Another victory for going outside to leak. I always knew it was the right thing to do, just not why.