5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

9 minutes ago, nigel99 said:

All the rioting has drowned out the virus. 6.7 million worldwide.

So lucky to live in the most remote city on earth and a country that seems to have controlled it well with only 102 deaths

We're probably still going to see a decent second wave but yeah, proportionally low risk. 

God I miss the pub, though. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nigel99 said:

I think our clubs and bars open almost fully this week 

Are you WA or NT? I'm in QLD, current restrictions have relaxed to 20 people max per venue/area now that I've checked on the latest stats. Might be able to sneak in a couple pints with one or two of the lads after all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mistercwood said:

Are you WA or NT? I'm in QLD, current restrictions have relaxed to 20 people max per venue/area now that I've checked on the latest stats. Might be able to sneak in a couple pints with one or two of the lads after all.

WA

(edited)
19 hours ago, kallend said:

Neighbor implies proximity.  All the proximate nations are listed except Belarus.

Oh, come on! If Iceland is "proximate" to Sweden, then so are Turkey, Spain, Italy and Greece. Not to mention the UK.

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.2391321,41.5534555,4z

Personally I think Sweden is just very lucky to be a big country with few people, which helps limiting the spread of any disease no matter what other precautions are taken.

Edited by Baksteen

1 hour ago, Baksteen said:

Oh, come on! If Iceland is "proximate" to Sweden, then so are Turkey, Spain, Italy and Greece. Not to mention the UK.

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.2391321,41.5534555,4z

Personally I think Sweden is just very lucky to be a big country with few people, which helps limiting the spread of any disease no matter what other precautions are taken.

ALL the proximate nations are listed except Belarus.  Reading is important.  Some others are listed too.

PS Iceland is closer than Turkey, Greece or Spain.  I expect you are looking at a (distorting) Mercator projection if you believe otherwise.

Have it your way. I'm too lazy to look up every distance.

However, I would not be surprised if the chart you posted is simply cleverly set up to display  "Sweden, and everyone who had fewer fatalities".

This is in no way intended as a personal attack.

2 hours ago, Baksteen said:

Have it your way. I'm too lazy to look up every distance.

However, I would not be surprised if the chart you posted is simply cleverly set up to display  "Sweden, and everyone who had fewer fatalities".

This is in no way intended as a personal attack.

ALL the proximate nations are listed except Belarus. The only cleverness is in knowing which nations are neighbors, a task that eludes some people.

1 hour ago, Baksteen said:

I read you the first time. Your reiterating the same line over and over again doesn't detract from my statement, a point which eludes some other people.

Anyway, moving on....

It takes 3 times before some people comprehend what they read.  Any teacher will tell you that.

Well - I bet no-one predicted that would happen.

CORONAVIRUS: RECORD SET IN FLORIDA, 1433 NEW CASES IN ONE DAY

https://bocanewsnow.com/2020/06/07/coronavirus-record-set-in-florida-1433-new-cases-in-one-day/

"In what appears to be a record since counting began, the State of Florida logged 1,433 new cases of COVID-19 on Saturday. The astonishing number comes as Florida’s death count hits at least 2,700 — although new reporting suggests that Florida may be suppressing numbers of out-of-state residents, including “snowbirds,” who died in the state.

The total COVID-19 infection count in Florida is now at least 63,938. At least 10,942 people have been hospitalized."

My wife is an MD and among her network of colleagues is an ICU doc in Tucson.  He says his hospital's ICU is really stressed right now due to a spike on severe CV-19 cases.  Another case of opening up too soon?

https://tucson.com/news/local/rising-covid-19-cases-prompt-city-of-tucson-to-delay-reopening-of-its-facilities/article_80b875c1-69cd-5c90-8e37-f1fb83ca706d.html

1 hour ago, kallend said:

My wife is an MD and among her network of colleagues is an ICU doc in Tucson.  He says his hospital's ICU is really stressed right now due to a spike on severe CV-19 cases.  Another case of opening up too soon?

https://tucson.com/news/local/rising-covid-19-cases-prompt-city-of-tucson-to-delay-reopening-of-its-facilities/article_80b875c1-69cd-5c90-8e37-f1fb83ca706d.html

This was and is inevitable. The virus is not going away. There will be hot spots as we slowly adapt to the new reality. Until this thing has an effective vaccine or most of us are exposed it will move through the world like a smouldering fire. Population centres will be very vulnerable to having their hospitals go through periods of being overwhelmed. I don't think of it as opening up too soon, but rather opening up too widely. But there will be a large element of randomness and plain old luck as well.

1 hour ago, kallend said:

"In what appears to be a record since counting began, the State of Florida logged 1,433 new cases of COVID-19 on Saturday.

I didn't search for it, but what is the percentage of positive tests?

Here in Wisconsin, testing has gone up significantly.
So have positive results.
However, the percentage of positives has stayed somewhat level (it goes up and down some on a daily basis). 

13 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

I didn't search for it, but what is the percentage of positive tests?

Here in Wisconsin, testing has gone up significantly.
So have positive results.
However, the percentage of positives has stayed somewhat level (it goes up and down some on a daily basis). 

Well, wasn't that why Trump didn't want to test, in case the numbers made him look bad?

When 511 Epidemiologists Expect to Fly, Hug and Do 18 Other Everyday Activities Again

trump, states Governors, your boss, your kids, etc. All have ideas as to when you should go to a restaurant, go on a A/C, visit the mother-in-law, etc. This lengthy article racks the risk of such actions together with when the experts in C-19 would do it themselves.

Perhaps stock market investors should temper their current bull run.

(edited)
On 6/6/2020 at 4:43 PM, kallend said:

It takes 3 times before some people comprehend what they read.  Any teacher will tell you that.

So maybe you should read Baksteen's posts two more times then ;-)

He has a valid point.

Roughly measured in Google Maps, border to border Sweden - Iceland : 1300 km

Countries within that radius include:

- Belgium

- UK

- Italy

Edited by evh

40 minutes ago, evh said:

So maybe you should read Baksteen's posts two more times then ;-)

He has a valid point.

Roughly measured in Google Maps, border to border Sweden - Iceland : 1300 km

Countries within that radius include:

- Belgium

- UK

- Italy

And not Turkey, Greece or Spain as he claimed.