5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

38 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Normally he would have included 'beautiful" and repeated perfect a couple more times as well.

The doctors couldn't believe how much Coronavirus he didn't have. They don't think anyone has ever tested as 'not infected' as Trump. It's amazing really, just how good he is at not having the virus. Obama was never as completely clear of Coronavirus as Trump and Coronavirus hadn't even been invented yet.

Newspeak. If he were craftier, I'd say it was part of an overall plan to change the accepted meanings (a la 1984).

I'm imagining that some PR staffer simply mentioned once that he should avoid using the word negative too much in association with himself (like how some salesmen and call centre workers aren't allowed to say no) and he's just taken that idea on his own special journey. Like, if not saying negative too much is good, then actually saying positive a lot must be even better, right?

• Like 1

An important factor related to social distancing not discussed much is the use of Ukrainian garlic sausage. I first discovered this several months ago when encountering a man thoroughly imbued with the noxious fragrance. I could smell him at about 60'. Prior to the introduction and use of masks it was quite effective.

Proper effect means ingestion of at least the equivalence of two or three cloves a full day prior to the needed results. With proper effect it establishes a ten to twenty foot safety airspace around you. A halo of protection so to speak.

If your body is in real form its possible to create even deeper zones of personal safety. A large, long and noisy flatulent release of garlic gas from your lower vent is sure to clear most away. ...Hey safety first.

I'd have to ask trump if garlic kills C-19 but we are not on speaking terms now.

16 minutes ago, kallend said:

I comes to something when the editorial board of a prestigious, non political medical journal calls out the President of the USA as a liar.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/498539-lancet-knocks-trump-for-factually-incorrect-statement-in-letter

Hi John,

And on the other hand:  '1 In 5 Adults In England Think The Coronavirus Is A Hoax'

And: "A disconcertingly high number of adults in England do not agree with the scientific and governmental consensus on the coronavirus pandemic," 

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/05/22/860947708/1-in-5-in-england-think-the-coronavirus-is-a-hoax

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  In '61-'62 I was stationed in England.  At that time, I thought they were nuts for having funerals for their pets.  

57 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi John,

And on the other hand:  '1 In 5 Adults In England Think The Coronavirus Is A Hoax'

And: "A disconcertingly high number of adults in England do not agree with the scientific and governmental consensus on the coronavirus pandemic," 

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/05/22/860947708/1-in-5-in-england-think-the-coronavirus-is-a-hoax

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  In '61-'62 I was stationed in England.  At that time, I thought they were nuts for having funerals for their pets.  

1 in 5 adults have IQ < 87.  I suspect a strong correlation.

So just like '60s-70s  rock, Monty Python and Dr. Who,  pet funerals are another British invasion.

2 hours ago, tonyhays said:

....wait for it.  

Sadly a side effect of American culture is there is little regard for government structure and advice. I don’t know how it is going to play out, but hopefully not too badly for all of you

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nigel99 said:

Sadly a side effect of American culture is there is little regard for government structure and advice. I don’t know how it is going to play out, but hopefully not too badly for all of you

American culture has become a war of the tribes. trump promised to break everything and thats what his tribe voted for. Four years is a long time but it seems as if the war has brought about some casualties. beside the rule of law, tossing aside every environmental regulations possible, pandering to special interest groups, etc.

"Still, some cracks were apparent: Less than half (46 percent) of self-described conservatives, for example, said they’d definitely vote for Trump in 2020. What’s more, 17 percent of those voters said they’d definitely vote for someone else. " The aforementioned quote is from a good read.

So trump has already lost 17% of the voters that carried him to a win, with a loss of popular vote. Once again those are GOP voters.

Having said that you have a valid point. Americans rightly or wrongly view their government with suspicion. The entire constitution is to protect people from the government. As though other governments and constitutions enprison their  populations. As though other nations, the EU states for example have people without the exact freedoms that Americans have.

I'd suggest that with a change of government the US will learn from its populist experiment. The damages done however may take some time to repair.

6 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

As though other governments and constitutions enprison their  populations.

There are many countries where criticizing the government will get you arrested, and maybe even killed. China (where the virus came from) for example. The whole country of North Korea is essentially a prison.

2 hours ago, skydave114 said:

There are many countries where criticizing the government will get you arrested, and maybe even killed. China (where the virus came from) for example. The whole country of North Korea is essentially a prison.

US has a for profit incarceration system filled with people too poor to properly represent themselves.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

US has a for profit incarceration system filled with people too poor to properly represent themselves.

Follow the money.

The land of the free and the home of the brave has more of its citizens imprisoned than any other country on Earth.

On 5/27/2020 at 6:46 PM, kallend said:

Follow the money.

The land of the free and the home of the brave has more of its citizens imprisoned than any other country on Earth.

While that may be true it also follows that, with freedom comes responsibility.  Free peoples don't always obey the laws.

34 minutes ago, airdvr said:

While that may be true it also follows that, with freedom comes responsibility.  Free peoples don't always obey the laws.

20 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Especially free Black and Brown people. I wonder why it seems so?

You forgot the orange faced ones as well.

4 minutes ago, airdvr said:

I don't know.  Especially considering that over the last 50 years the Democratic party has always taken such good care of them.

Absolutely. In fact it was me that coined the terms "Welfare Queen" and "driving while black" and suggested to the cops to choke them prior to any introductions. My bad. Sorry.

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

Sure. That's why the US incarceration rate is such a joke - the people are just so darn free they don't know what to do with it.

Nice one Big Brother.

As if the urban community has not suffered enough from Covid-19 we now have rioting in the streets. Social distancing while protesting? Probably about as practical as while tandem skydiving. You could make a show of trying, but overall it would be pretty useless. Many of the people in the streets today will go back to work next week. Those who are now infected will be the asymptomatic spreaders in the coming days.  

57 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

As if the urban community has not suffered enough from Covid-19 we now have rioting in the streets. Social distancing while protesting? Probably about as practical as while tandem skydiving. You could make a show of trying, but overall it would be pretty useless. Many of the people in the streets today will go back to work next week. Those who are now infected will be the asymptomatic spreaders in the coming days.  

At least we have the security of knowing that the police issue masks to those protest/looters.

I sleep better.