5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

(edited)
8 minutes ago, ryoder said:

A data point of one is not very useful. If PED use caused testicular cancer, there should have been a rash of cyclists afflicted with it. Some books from the era that outline how prevalent it was (and likely still is):

https://www.amazon.com/Dog-Hat-American-Betrayal-Belgium/dp/1934030260

https://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Chain-Cycling-Yellow-Classics/dp/0224061178

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0097DM8LU/ref=sr_1_1

The first two are about the era just prior to LA's victories, and the last is by a teammate.

Agree, perhaps its time to head for the mountains, clip in and gear down..... but I sold my Speed Concept two years ago:rofl:

Edited by Phil1111

16 hours ago, wmw999 said:

That article about the 1918 flu was fascinating. Thanks a lot for posting it. And what a great illustration of how hard this stuff can be. We bitch about the fly vaccine being imperfect, but it’s hard to do. 

Jeff Goldblum could have used some of that vaccine . . . .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ryoder said:

A data point of one is not very useful. If PED use caused testicular cancer, there should have been a rash of cyclists afflicted with it. Some books from the era that outline how prevalent it was (and likely still is):

Oh yeah. Lance's early career pre-cancer did overlap with the most rampant EPO era before there was any effective test for it. By the time of his major success they'd moved to microdosing into muscle fibre instead. The year of his cancer the Tour winner was Jan Ullrich, known in some circles as 'Mr 60%' after his hematocrit level - 60% of his blood was red blood cells, compared to between 40% to 50% maximum for a non doped athlete. The story is that combined with an ultra low resting heart rate, when he was 'fully prepped' in race season he needed a soigneur to wake him every hour or so during the night to mitigate the risk of his blood spontaneously clotting in his veins in between heartbeats.

(edited)

US President Donald Trump has said he is taking hydroxychloroquine - which health officials have warned may be unsafe - to ward off coronavirus.

Speaking at the White House, he told reporters he started taking the malaria and lupus medication recently.

"I'm taking it for about a week and a half now and I'm still here, I'm still here," he said.

No words can be used to describe such stupidity. Congratulations to the GOP, his supporters and the SC trump apologists.^.^

Separate reporting on same story:

The president said he consulted with the White House doctor about taking the drug, but it was not explicitly recommended for him since he has not tested positive for the virus.

"I asked him what do you think," Trump said. "He said, 'Well if you’d like it.' I said, 'Yeah, I’d like it. I’d like to take it.' "

"I was just waiting to see your eyes light up when I said this," he said.

Edited by Phil1111

1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

US President Donald Trump has said he is taking hydroxychloroquine - which health officials have warned may be unsafe - to ward off coronavirus.

Judging by the veracity of everything else that comes out of his mouth, we can expect that he is not taking it. But people are saying he should double up on the dosage.

2 hours ago, ryoder said:

Judging by the veracity of everything else that comes out of his mouth, we can expect that he is not taking it. But people are saying he should double up on the dosage.

“I would rather he not be taking something that has not been approved by the scientists, especially in his age group, and in his, shall we say, weight group: ‘Morbidly obese,’ they say,” says House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Pres. Trump’s revelation he is taking hydroxychloroquine.

2 minutes ago, normiss said:

“I would rather he not be taking something that has not been approved by the scientists, especially in his age group, and in his, shall we say, weight group: ‘Morbidly obese,’ they say,” says House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Pres. Trump’s revelation he is taking hydroxychloroquine.

She's a far nicer person than I am.

I'm in the 'Go ahead. Why not double it? If one is good, two is better, right?' group.

I also doubt he's really taking it, or if he is will continue. The side effects are pretty harsh. And that's the ones that don't kill you.

2 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

I'm in the 'Go ahead. Why not double it? If one is good, two is better, right?' group.

I also doubt he's really taking it, or if he is will continue. The side effects are pretty harsh. And that's the ones that don't kill you.

Hard to say how those side effects are impacted by the abusive intake of aderall as well.

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

President’s physician confirms Trump is taking hydroxychloroquine

Pelosi is very level headed. After a couple social isolation sips of Canadian whiskey. I'd say triple the dose. In the morning I may have a different opinion. One opinion unlikely to change is F*#k is he stupid.

• Like 1

One way to make it look like the infection rate is declining - fudge the dates on the graph.  Does he think Georgians are stupid?  (Maybe he's right).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/05/18/only-america-is-sunday-day-after-thursday/?utm_campaign=wp_opinions&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_opinions

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

"I'm taking it for about a week and a half now and I'm still here, I'm still here," he said.

No words can be used to describe such stupidity. Congratulations to the GOP, his supporters and the SC trump apologists

Less noise; more signal

In a worldwide review, the World Health Organization linked five cardiac deaths to hydroxychloroquine, most tied to overdose or prolonged use. Similarly, a new study [ATTACHED] of nearly 1 million HCQ users in six countries concluded, “Short-term hydroxychloroquine treatment is safe.”

The American College of Cardiology concluded, as did the American Association of Physicians and Surgeons, that hydroxychloroquine’s “risk may be smaller than the potential benefit.” Two New Jersey physicians’ groups want the freedom to prescribe prophylactically, as Trump is doing, and in early suspected cases. A similar petition by French doctors has 400,000 signatures so far.

The available evidence, while not universal, suggests hydroxychloroquine helps resolve COVID. In Manhattan, NYU Langone Medical Center saw death rates drop by nearly half when zinc was added to HCQ and azithromycin, possibly enhancing the virus’ elimination. In France, fewer than 1% of patients on HCQ and azithromycin died. Studies in China, Spain and Brazil have also shown success.

SOURCE: https://www.nj.com/opinion/2020/05/dont-doubt-hydroxychloroquine-because-trump-is-taking-it-it-likely-works.html 

2020.04.08.20054551v1.full.pdf

24 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

In a worldwide review, the World Health Organization linked five cardiac deaths to hydroxychloroquine, most tied to overdose or prolonged use. Similarly, a new study [ATTACHED] of nearly 1 million HCQ users in six countries concluded, “Short-term hydroxychloroquine treatment is safe.”

The American College of Cardiology concluded, as did the American Association of Physicians and Surgeons, that hydroxychloroquine’s “risk may be smaller than the potential benefit.” Two New Jersey physicians’ groups want the freedom to prescribe prophylactically, as Trump is doing, and in early suspected cases. A similar petition by French doctors has 400,000 signatures so far.

The available evidence, while not universal, suggests hydroxychloroquine helps resolve COVID. In Manhattan, NYU Langone Medical Center saw death rates drop by nearly half when zinc was added to HCQ and azithromycin, possibly enhancing the virus’ elimination. In France, fewer than 1% of patients on HCQ and azithromycin died. Studies in China, Spain and Brazil have also shown success.

SOURCE: https://www.nj.com/opinion/2020/05/dont-doubt-hydroxychloroquine-because-trump-is-taking-it-it-likely-works.html 

2020.04.08.20054551v1.full.pdf 1.12 MB · 0 downloads

In another surprising result, a long term study showed that sitting on a couch for long periods of time and watching TV is an effective treatment for high blood pressure and obesity.  In a controlled study, a group sitting on a couch watching TV for six hours a day, while adhering to a strict diet and intensive exercise program, showed an overall reduction in blood pressure, reduction in obesity and improved health outcomes over several areas, compared to a control group that did not.

TV-rights advocates are celebrating this development, and using this as evidence to counter the assertion that spending your life watching TV and eating junk food is bad for you.

(edited)
1 hour ago, billvon said:

assertion that spending your life watching TV and eating junk food is bad for you.

If you rely on science for climate change; then perhaps you have some science that opposes HCQ+ZInc and a source for me to read.  

Edited by BIGUN

15 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Relax. I'm sure it's the blue pill.

You really think the president should be taking prescriptions with those possible side effects and not temporarily step down? How will his subordinates know if he is impaired when giving orders?

Don't understand why people don't see the guy with the nuclear codes possibly having hallucinations and severe mental changes as an issue.

36 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

If you rely on science for climate change; then perhaps you have some science that opposes HCQ+ZInc and a source for me to read.  

Sure.

Study halted due to excess deaths in the Chloroquine study group: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.07.20056424v2

High doses dangerous, neither high nor low dose showed any improvement in outcome:  https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2765499?utm_source=For_The_Media&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=ftm_links&utm_term=042420

FDA warning: https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/fda-cautions-against-use-hydroxychloroquine-or-chloroquine-covid-19-outside-hospital-setting-or

One study showed improvements in low dosages: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0924857920300996

But that study was withdrawn due to errors: https://www.isac.world/news-and-publications/official-isac-statement

4 hours ago, BIGUN said:

Your source  Mary Beth Pfeiffer

Mary Beth Pfeiffer was a reporter for the Poughkeepsie Journal from 1982-2015 and is the author of Crazy in America: The Hidden Scandal of Our Criminalized Mentally Ill (Carroll & Graf Publishers/Basic Books, 2007).

She has no medical experience, no degree from any medical institution.

Covid-19: VA Study Points to Increased Mortality with Hydroxychloroquine    From Physicians Weekly April 2020

Treating COVID-19 with hydroxychloroquine, with or without azithromycin, leads to more deaths   From Cardiovascular Business April 22,2020

Your other handle isn't Turtle is it?

5 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Your source  Mary Beth Pfeiffer

Mary Beth Pfeiffer was a reporter for the Poughkeepsie Journal from 1982-2015 and is the author of Crazy in America: The Hidden Scandal of Our Criminalized Mentally Ill (Carroll & Graf Publishers/Basic Books, 2007).

She has no medical experience, no degree from any medical institution.

Covid-19: VA Study Points to Increased Mortality with Hydroxychloroquine    From Physicians Weekly April 2020

Treating COVID-19 with hydroxychloroquine, with or without azithromycin, leads to more deaths   From Cardiovascular Business April 22,2020

Mary is a journalist; not a doctor. She writes about a lot of left issues including climate change. As to your two studies and those of Bill's - they are last month's information regarding high-dose HCQ+AZ. The study I posted was more recent and was about low dose HCQ+ZInc.  I posted the fourth of Bill's citations last month and he is correct that the fifth citation led to the fourth's withdrawal. I do wonder if the IJAA's position resulted in the subsequent study that Mary wrote about.   

Your other handle isn't Turtle is it?

I would appreciate if we didn't do this. 

1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

You really think the president should be taking prescriptions with those possible side effects and not temporarily step down? How will his subordinates know if he is impaired when giving orders?

Don't understand why people don't see the guy with the nuclear codes possibly having hallucinations and severe mental changes as an issue.

I would encourage you to read WebMD's list of side effects in low doses of HCQ. 

10 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Mary is a journalist; not a doctor. She writes about a lot of left issues including climate change. As to your two studies and those of Bill's - they are last month's information regarding high-dose HCQ+AZ. The study I posted was more recent and was about low dose HCQ+ZInc.  I posted the fourth of Bill's citations last month and he is correct that the fifth citation led to the fourth's withdrawal. I do wonder if the IJAA's position resulted in the subsequent study that Mary wrote about.  

The Chinese medical establishment, the EU and the CDC has evaluated everything about hydroxychloroquine. Why trump, FOX journalists, or anybody else would suddenly think that they know more about this drug than national health bodies is mind boggling.

Every single doctor treating C-19 and every national body has had an opportunity to evaluate, discuss and read about this drug. In addition trump is taking this drug to "prevent" C-19.