5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

40 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Rand Paul has heard of it. Doesn’t mean much, but he’s a doctor, therefore he’s heard of it. It’s that significant.  

Well, Rand Paul is also the guy who was exposed to COVID-19, got tested - and then went to the gym before the test results were back.  He's pretty much the definition of "me first."

55 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Rand Paul has heard of it. Doesn’t mean much, but he’s a doctor, therefore he’s heard of it. It’s that significant.  
Wendy P. 

I knew he is a doctor but I didn't know what kind so I goggled him when I posted that. I was going to joke that he was a doctor for those that can't see. Then I was going to say he was a chiropractor a graduate of the Guadalajara school of  chiropractors. But I digress. Given his general ignorance IMO it would be speculation that he's heard of or read the Lancet.

Once again I digress but insulting republicans is such fun. All this social isolation is making my mind wander like a trumpite.

51 minutes ago, phantomII said:

One really has to admire the double standards when  it comes to testing.

Continous or even daily testing in the White House.
Testing for the common folks is overrated.

Well, testing for the proles makes Trump's numbers look bad.  He told us as much.

On 5/15/2020 at 6:29 AM, olofscience said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/15/wuhan-residents-queues-coronavirus-mass-testing-begins

Even if they announce that they've completed the tests, you'll say they're lying anyway

Personally, your eagerness to criticize his skepticism is more peculiar to me, especially when Wuhan's testing capacity is 100k per day in extreme circumstances and have so far tested about 2 million in almost 2 months - and now suddenly everything's supposed to be scaled by 30 times in 10 days? 

From Your Article:

"Wuhan tested about 1.79 million people between 1 April and 13 May"

"In one residential block, more than 2,000 people were tested on Tuesday, but medics reportedly ran out of labels and reagents, which complicated efforts"

From Phil's article:

"Wuhan’s authorities would have to conduct at least 730,000 tests a day to finish within 10 days, even after excluding people who had already been recently tested."

"That is several times the current testing capacity in Wuhan, which the paper said could conduct 100,000 tests a day under extreme circumstances."

Just now, Coreece said:

From your article:

"It is unclear how Wuhan will procure enough testing kits and process all the samples, and whether such a broad, systematic approach is the best use of resources. . ."

:p

I agree with that. Even if they do it or if they do it in a limited time frame. It seems as if its an exercise in braggado.

54 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Personally, your eagerness to criticize his skepticism is more peculiar to me, especially when Wuhan's testing capacity is 100k per day in extreme circumstances and have so far tested about 2 million in almost 2 months - and now suddenly everything's supposed to be scaled by 30 times in 10 days? 

I happened to know a bit about how PCR tests work, so why is that peculiar?

That wasn't the original skepticism. The original skepticism was just "they're LYING because they're China" and not much reasoning behind it. Skepticism needs to be justified rather than simply based on emotion.

Unless you're trying to identify something about my motivations or looking for an ad hominem argument...are you?

12 minutes ago, olofscience said:

I happened to know a bit about how PCR tests work, so why is that peculiar?

That wasn't the original skepticism. The original skepticism was just "they're LYING because they're China" and not much reasoning behind it. Skepticism needs to be justified rather than simply based on emotion.

Unless you're trying to identify something about my motivations or looking for an ad hominem argument...are you?

ad hominem argument, BINGO. The concept that the second largest economy would do something better than the largest is grating to the ego. If China tells one lie its the same as if America tells ten. Even though trump himself has stated that America has ceded the production of drugs and medical equipment to China. That America needs to seize back such capabilities.Everything China does is suspect.

Because, because, their communists and the GOP stands for integrity, honesty, for freedom of accountability.

8 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

WTF is the point of holding a convention to decide what has already been decided?

(I mean, besides stroking Hair Twitler's ego?)

1 minute ago, ryoder said:

WTF is the point of holding a convention to decide what has already been decided?

(I mean, besides stroking Hair Twitler's ego?)

I'm predicting that it will not happen as planned in the end. It will be a hollowed out sort of convention. The GOP is all about old men. They are not necessarily stupid old men who want to get sick.

It seems that locking people up for non violent and trivial offenses is not the greatest idea after all. Keeping them locked up proliferates the infections, and releasing them into an economy where they haven't got and can't get a job and have no resources just creates more problems.

Our criminal justice system needs a major overhaul.

Country Prison population Population per 100,000
US 2,193,798 737
CHINA 1,548,498 118
RUSSIA 874,161 615
BRAZIL 371,482 193

10 hours ago, gowlerk said:

I'm predicting that it will not happen as planned in the end. It will be a hollowed out sort of convention. The GOP is all about old white men. They are not necessarily stupid old men who want to get sick. Well the odd one isn't stupid.

FIFY

Congratulations, Manitoba has now gone six days without a single new case of C-19. With a population of 1.4 million right next to Minnesota which has deaths doubling every three weeks.

It's now up to you to carry the load. You must not leave the cab. Hold it till you get home!

trump apologists love to deny anything factual relating to C-19 coming from China. Its all to make trump look bad. China is a "outlier".

"Officials concerned about a virus resurgence have quarantined 8,000 people and reintroduced lockdown measures in northeastern China, even as other parts of the country further relax restrictions.

Residents of Jilin, the second-largest city in Jilin Province, have been mostly barred from leaving the city, state news media reported, after a cluster of infections was reported there and in Shulan, another city under its administration. Shenyang, capital of the neighboring province of Liaoning, said on Saturday that anyone who had traveled there from the city of Jilin since April 22 would be quarantined in a hospital for three weeks."

Imagine if trump undertook the same measures. There would be his AR-15 carrying, camo wearing, beer guzzling, storm troopers decrying liberals.

No it can't be true. China just manipulates the numbers and presto, its an attack on our beloved orange leader.

(edited)
4 hours ago, wmw999 said:

4 hours ago, wmw999 said:

Pickle jars or adult diapers? That’s the decision!

Wendy P. 

A 4 quart Rubbermaid jug with some alcohol based windshield washer fluid as a deodorant added to it. Emptied once a day or so an appropriate place. Plastic bags are also something I’m intimately familiar with. I would advise everyone not to go digging through the garbage in rest areas or truckstops. Trucking is a tough business, you gotta do what you gotta do. Manitoba has had no new cases for five days straight. I’m doing my best to make sure I’m not the one who brings it home. Now you know, you probably didn’t want to!

Edited by gowlerk

I was wondering what happened to the virus that caused the Spanish flu in 1918 and found an interesting article.

In the article, they dug up two bodies at different times in Alaska that had been buried and frozen in permafrost and took samples of lung tissue.  It is a long article but worth reading.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/reconstruction-1918-virus.html

• Like 2

That article about the 1918 flu was fascinating. Thanks a lot for posting it. And what a great illustration of how hard this stuff can be. We bitch about the fly vaccine being imperfect, but it’s hard to do; we just don’t have the technology yet to do it faster and more accurately. And we may never have it. 
Wendy P. 

People who grew up at high elevation may be less susceptible to COVID-19

https://www.summitdaily.com/news/people-who-grew-up-a-high-elevation-may-be-less-susceptible-to-covid-19/

Zubieta-Calleja said a doctor would have to inject the hormone erythropoietin into a person’s blood, which would stimulate the production of red blood cells. 

Cycling racers were just ahead of their time! We owe Lance an apology!

5 minutes ago, ryoder said:

People who grew up at high elevation may be less susceptible to COVID-19

https://www.summitdaily.com/news/people-who-grew-up-a-high-elevation-may-be-less-susceptible-to-covid-19/

Zubieta-Calleja said a doctor would have to inject the hormone erythropoietin into a person’s blood, which would stimulate the production of red blood cells. 

Cycling racers were just ahead of their time! We owe Lance an apology!

Yeah but who wants to be married to a drug dealer and get testicular cancer.

3 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

A data point of one is not very useful. If PED use caused testicular cancer, there should have been a rash of cyclists afflicted with it. Some books from the era that outline how prevalent it was (and likely still is):

https://www.amazon.com/Dog-Hat-American-Betrayal-Belgium/dp/1934030260

https://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Chain-Cycling-Yellow-Classics/dp/0224061178

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0097DM8LU/ref=sr_1_1

The first two are about the era just prior to LA's victories, and the last is by a teammate.