5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation has raised their estimate for total deaths to 134,475 deaths by August 4 from 81,766 deaths by Aug 4.  This is due to “rising mobility in most U.S. states as well as the easing of social distancing measures expected in 31 states by May 11."

18 hours ago, normiss said:

White House is ending the Corona virus Task Force

Let's just ignore it, wait for the heat, the miracle, it will just go away.

Typical trump goatF*#k never consulted with anyone. Hasn't held a "task force briefing" read personal promotion televised rally. Since his infamous "injecting bleach" conference. Shut it down because China is all he needs for re-election.

"the decision to formally disband the task force is sure to raise concern among public health experts who have warned the coronavirus will likely be part of life in the U.S. until there is a widely available vaccine, which could take a year or longer to develop....

Anthony Fauci, the government's top infectious diseases expert and a task force member, told CBS News that he was unaware of any proposal to wind down."

15 minutes ago, ryoder said:

And today a VP staffer:

Vice President Mike Pence staffer tests positive for coronavirus

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/08/vice-president-mike-pence-staffer-tests-positive-for-coronavirus.html

Both Pence and Trump are in high risk categories too. If both are incapacitated due to illness or death, I believe Pelosi would be next in line. The country is already a powder-keg, don't think that would be a good outcome.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

CDC regulations would mean both President and Vice President should go into 14 day isolation.

Leadership would be setting the right example.

Stephen Miller is in the clear as there have been no recorded cases of infection in the undead.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

CDC regulations would mean both President and Vice President should go into 14 day isolation.

Leadership would be setting the right example.

The rules don't apply to them - or anyone they associate with.

Not surprisingly, many White House staffers are not wearing masks since Trump sees them as a sign of weakness.  And of course most protesters are not wearing them either - because they are "strong."

(edited)

Ivanka Trump’s personal assistant has tested positive for coronavirus, source tells CNN

https://www.texomashomepage.com/news/national-news/ivanka-trumps-personal-assistant-has-tested-positive-for-coronavirus-source-tells-cnn/

But I have not seen this in MSM yet.

ETA: There is a tweet from Kaitlan Collins of CNN.

Edited by ryoder

(edited)
57 minutes ago, kallend said:

I doubt it would've changed much regardless since the poll is likely comprised of people that either think Trump can do no wrong or that he can do no good.

If we had some of the lowest numbers due to Trump shutting down the entire country back in Jan or Feb before we even knew if and how it would really affect us, the left would've been saying "it's just a power grab from some communist dictator wannabe trying to destroy our democracy and take credit for stopping a disease that never would've made it across the Atlantic in the first place - and even if it did, it would've just went to zero like all the other outbreaks.  I mean the flu is even deadlier for pete's sake!  This is just another xenophobic excuse to keep brown people out of the country!"

Edited by Coreece

(edited)
19 minutes ago, Coreece said:

If we had some of the lowest numbers due to Trump shutting down the entire country back in Jan or Feb before we even knew if and how it would really affect us, the left would've been saying "it's just a power grab from some communist dictator wannabe trying to destroy our democracy and take credit for stopping a disease that never would've made it across the Atlantic in the first place - and even if it did, it would've just went to zero like all the other outbreaks.  I mean the flu is even deadlier for pete's sake!  This is just another xenophobic excuse to keep brown people out of the country!"

Wow, that's a lot of hypotheticals. Do you have imaginary debates in your head all the time?

Edited by olofscience

2 minutes ago, olofscience said:
21 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Wow, that's a lot of hypotheticals.

My bad.  By the left I mean Phil.

. . .and normiss.

Maybe a few others. . .

(edited)
11 minutes ago, olofscience said:

Well, congratulations on winning all these imaginary debates with them in this hypothetical world where Trump was actually competent.

But just to clarify.  Would you have been ok with a more forceful communistic approach?

Would you have been ok with denying citizens entry from abroad?

Edited by Coreece

Just now, Coreece said:

But just to clarify.  Would you have been ok with a more forceful communistic approach?

I was in Singapore when the SARS virus hit in 2003. I know how it was brought under control.

Assuming what you mean by "communistic approach" is how New Zealand and other countries dealt with it, then not only am I ok with it, I was expecting it to be the approach.

Imagine my surprise when giving up was chosen instead.

14 minutes ago, Coreece said:

My bad.  By the left I mean Phil.

. . .and normiss.

Maybe a few others. . .

11 minutes ago, olofscience said:

Well, congratulations on winning all these imaginary debates with them in this hypothetical world where Trump was actually competent.

Well nobody has driven my political thinking further to the left than trump. Nobody has illustrated to me the dangers of unrestrained politicians than trump.

Or illustrated the failings of education institutions than trump.I've learn that people can be foolish, narcissistic, self involved and ignorant. But to find masses ready and willing to worship at the feet of those same people. Well thats an eye opener.

6 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Temporarily, yes. Ideally, any arrivals, whatever nationality, should have been with testing, screening and/or a 14-day quarantine.

I'm very left-leaning but if Trump had done that, I would have understood.

Instead, what he did was ban Chinese nationals coming in, but allowed American citizens coming from China, Italy and other affected countries without any testing, screening, or quarantine. That's why there was an outcry - the virus doesn't choose nationality. ANY arrivals from affected countries, no matter what skin colour you have, should have been tested, screened and quarantined. Hundreds of thousands of people arrived in US airports with no screening at all during that period.

He did the same with the EU (Schengen) area but left it open to badly-hit UK. Which makes it really obvious that his travel bans weren't really driven by science or any reasoning at all.

(edited)
24 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Actually, New Zealand is doing that now. Lots of bans and those that aren't are strictly quarantined for 2 weeks.

It's a perfect opportunity to test your argument on Phil1111: Phil, what do you think of the New Zealand travel rules? Are they being racist like Trump?

Edited by olofscience

(edited)
23 minutes ago, olofscience said:
39 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Actually, New Zealand is doing that now.

I just think you'd get a ton of pushback in the U.S.  Even after it was announced a pandemic people here were still arguing that the travel ban itself was excessive.

Edited by Coreece

6 minutes ago, Coreece said:

I just think you'd get a ton of pushback in the U.S.  Even after it was announced a pandemic people here were still arguing that the travel ban itself was excessive.

Might be just me, but Trump doesn't stop doing something because of a little pushback.

29 minutes ago, Coreece said:

14 minutes ago, olofscience said:

Actually, New Zealand is doing that now. Lots of bans and those that aren't are strictly quarantined for 2 weeks.

It's a perfect opportunity to test your argument on Phil1111: Phil, what do you think of the New Zealand travel rules? Are they being racist like Trump?

You're wrong about Coreece winning arguments in his own mind. Its about stopping the communists from the left and Canada. From influencing the MAGA of America.

trump is completely wrong about banning immigration under the guise of C-19 control. That has no other purpose than to pander to his base.

IMO free travel to any foreigner is fine if they had a test(negative C-19) four days prior to travel and another one day prior to travel. All other immigration, visa and other travel restrictions met of course.The same testing on every air traveler would allow the salvation of the airline industry on domestic routes.

In the absence to above testing of course all out bans are necessary. trump wanted to open up US-Canada border restrictions a month ago. Trudeau shot that down. Because currently only Quebec has C-19 as bad as border US states. Canada overall has progressed further than the US. But Quebec, Ontario and to a lessor extent Alberta still have issues.

Cost of COVID-19 Treatment: $34,927.43   Medicare price for a COVID-19 PCR test is $51.

It seems as if testing stations need to be set up at every GM, FORD, meat packing plant, etc. Then workers tested every week, or a frequency determined by medical expert opinion. A auto worker generally has a cost per hour to a major manufacturer to warrant daily testing if necessary. Same applies to a airline traveler, stew, or pilot.

These aren't difficult issues to address. Fauci probably has the answers at the blink of an eye. Thats why trump banned him from testifying in House hearings. Clearly the truth won't MAGA.