5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

11 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

It's the same thing with Covid-19 and pandemics in general. We got burned. We were hit square in the nose. We should learn from it so it doesn't happen again.

Agreed.  Going forward, the best things we could do are:

Restart the US Pandemic Response Team and fund it to be ready for the next one

Fund/support the WHO so we have advance warning of it next time, even if it happens in Botswana or something

Support research into monoclonal antibody therapy

Have tracking/testing/monitoring systems ready to go (should be under the purview of the pandemic response team)

14 hours ago, billvon said:

Agreed.  Going forward, the best things we could do are:

Restart the US Pandemic Response Team and fund it to be ready for the next one

Fund/support the WHO so we have advance warning of it next time, even if it happens in Botswana or something

Support research into monoclonal antibody therapy

Have tracking/testing/monitoring systems ready to go (should be under the purview of the pandemic response team)

And, as Cato the Censor might have said, "Ceterum autem censeo praecurrentem Trumpem esse."

18 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

After SARS & H1N1, the US put in place a plan for the next pandemic and put a team togther. 

What happened? Trump threw the plan out and disbanded the team.

I think that's a legitimate issue that needs to be looked at, but there seems to be some conflicting perspectives on this.  Can you point to something specific in that plan that was ignored that would've made a difference?

18 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Of course the Rs are more concerned with the economy than people's lives. So they are pushing to reopen. 

It's a bit concerning.  Whitmer rolled back some restrictions in Michigan due to pressure from a very small minority of people on the right. (Basically opening up nurseries and allowing people to travel to their seasonal properties up north which represents roughly 30-50+% of all residential properties up here depending on county.) 

That same day my neighbors came up with like 15 people.  I can't say that I blame them - they have this amazing log cabin on the lake that they hardly get to enjoy, but why have a party?  And it's not the party that I was really concerned about, it was if they were going into town and possibly spreading something around.

Anyway, a month ago this place was a ghost town, now everything looks like it's back to normal.  Not good.  This is a tourist town and we just don't have the medical resources to handle an influx for year round residents, let alone seasonal residents.

Just a few thoughts on what is going on.

What would Rod Serling be thinking if he were alive today.

I drove through town and didn't have to slow down for the school zone.

Speaking of school, why isn't Alice Cooper's song "School's Out" making a come back.

People are starting to sound like Kenny from South Park.

I am sure I am not the only one tired of wearing a mask in public but will continue to do so as long as it is necessary.

Now back to the serious discussion.

On 5/1/2020 at 3:46 PM, jakee said:

If you open everything back up and then you do end up hitting those projections, just 45 days later then what have you gained from all the hardship?

That's a conversation I've had a few times with people.  Why do all of this without having reaped the benefits?  Yes, there's the concept of not holding onto a bad poker hand but we decided that we would prioritize human lives.  Let's say that this was only effective enough to have saved as many lives as we've lost, around 60,000 people, approximately the number of soldiers lost in the Vietnam War.  If we were to vote on having those lives back in exchange for a few months of lockdown I think it's clear how that vote would go.  If we were to abandon this right now we would suffer both the consequences in lives AND the economy.

50 minutes ago, DJL said:

That's a conversation I've had a few times with people.  Why do all of this without having reaped the benefits?  Yes, there's the concept of not holding onto a bad poker hand but we decided that we would prioritize human lives.  Let's say that this was only effective enough to have saved as many lives as we've lost, around 60,000 people, approximately the number of soldiers lost in the Vietnam War.  If we were to vote on having those lives back in exchange for a few months of lockdown I think it's clear how that vote would go.  If we were to abandon this right now we would suffer both the consequences in lives AND the economy.

26 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Exactly, we are already pot committed. 

IMO there has been some progress made with regards to defeating C-19. Sweden embarked on a different route and its mortality can be compared to its Nordic neighbors. Sweden has nearly 10 times the number of COVID-19-related deaths than its Nordic neighbors. Here's where it went wrong.

States should open up sooner rather than later. But older and at risk people need serious protections. Protections from exposure and from having to take unnecessary risks for employment, or obtain goods and services. It seems as if the need for ventilators has become less of an issue. That younger healthy people are generally fairly safe.

Some industries airline, cruise,restaurant, sports, travel, etc. will show financial damage for years.

I agree with the approach that calls for taking care of those most at risk but not shutting down the economy. 

I'm one of those that would be classified as "at risk".  I know how to minimize the chances of infection.  I can accept that my actions might expose me to the 'Rona.  I don't want other citizen's rights taken away to protect me.

(edited)

You're not ready yet, daily cases have not reduced nearly enough. These figures are WITH the restrictions you've been facing, lift those and they will explode.

image.png.e8460d4004ac00650295b9611b52ca65.png

EDIT:

For comparison, here's Australia's figures (yes, I know the population totals and densities aren't entirely comparable). Aside from a few dumb misteps, we locked down early and we locked down hard. We're just now starting to ease things up a little.

image.png.33dda542a652b11ef5b9432f96770dd5.png

Edited by mistercwood

On 5/3/2020 at 3:20 PM, wolfriverjoe said:

So now we have the worst of it in the entire world.

Another one that can't wrap their head around the difference between rates and raw numbers.

The entire world could end with wolfriverjoe being the sole survivor since he knows better than anyone else. He'd put on his dysfunctional critical thinking cap, look at the numbers, and then wonder why China got hit the hardest.:p

47 minutes ago, Coreece said:

Another one that can't wrap their head around the difference between rates and raw numbers.

The entire world could end with wolfriverjoe being the sole survivor since he knows better than anyone else. He'd put on his dysfunctional critical thinking cap, look at the numbers, and then wonder why China got hit the hardest.:p

I suppose you believe the numbers genius who said this on February 26: "And again, when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero."

1 hour ago, kallend said:

Comparing COVID-19 Deaths to Flu Deaths Is like Comparing Apples to Oranges

The former are actual numbers; the latter are inflated statistical estimates.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/comparing-covid-19-deaths-to-flu-deaths-is-like-comparing-apples-to-oranges/

I find it telling when you require percentages and per capita numbers when discussing gun murders in Chiraq but not when looking at Covid deaths.

4 minutes ago, airdvr said:

I find it telling when you require percentages and per capita numbers when discussing gun murders in Chiraq but not when looking at Covid deaths.

I think you've failed to either read or understand the article linked. It is talking about how to compare Covid-19 deaths within the USA to flu deaths within the USA. It doesn't matter whether you look at per capita or absolute, since both Covid 19 and the flu exist within the same reality, and the population of the USA is therefore the same for both.

4 hours ago, airdvr said:

I can see why you'd want to massage the numbers very carefully when you talk about the Trump virus.

40 minutes ago, normiss said:

White House is ending the Corona virus Task Force

Let's just ignore it, wait for the heat, the miracle, it will just go away.

All I can say is WTF.

"In other news. It seems as if there is a Republican governor. Who values life, science and responsibility.  "The coronavirus has turned several public health officials and local leaders into bona fide celebrities..Ohio Health Department’s Dr. Amy Acton....this previously unknown public health official now has her own Facebook fan club, T-shirts, chalk drawings and ’70s sitcom parodies.

Ohio’s G.O.P. Governor Splits From Trump, and Rises in Popularity   Mike DeWine, a low-key career politician, has followed health experts’ guidance as Ohio confronts the coronavirus. His constituents are overwhelmingly appreciative."

An intelligent Republican governor that lets science and facts do the talking. Just too bad that the party can't boot trump to the curb and "Be like Mike".