5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

(edited)
2 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

He did NOT suggest that people inject themselves, as so many would have you believe.

Where's your evidence of all these people saying he suggested people inject themselves?

If that statement was unclear, and it raised questions, as it apparently did, then clarification was needed. 

And how ridiculous is that? That a statement so moronic and unnecessary at face value was also unclear enough that it could be interpreted in an even stupider way?

This is the behaviour you're willing to trample all over your own honesty and integrity in order to defend?

Edited by jakee

1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

Was it a well thought out thing to say? No.

Why do you think it wasn't a well thought out thing to say? You believe that the research he was suggesting is a good idea, even though he himself has attempted to dismiss it as sarcasm, and you don't believe anyone is stupid enough to cause themselves harm by misinterpreting it. So why is it that you think it wasn't well thought out?

Has it been tortuously blown out of proportion by the media, yes.

No it hasn't. The media has reported it accurately. You can only make the case that they blew it out of proportion by lying about their coverage.

41 minutes ago, kallend said:

So Elon Musk was 100% wrong, but now he's pontificating about it again.

Maybe he should stick to what he knows.

He's pontificating because he's feeling the damage to the economy, as are many others.  There needs to be some balance between flattening the curve and flattening the economy.

Today Dewine extended the stay at home order until June 1.  This is a huge blow to small businesses everywhere.  It's out of balance with what's actually happening in Ohio.

I understand the scenario of allowing people some additional freedoms and bringing on a second wave of infections.

5 minutes ago, jakee said:

You can only make the case that they blew it out of proportion by lying about their coverage.

The professional news media reported accurately. Then the internet, largely through memes blew it up out of proportion. So, you could easily blame the "media" if you mean social media. But that is what social media does.

10 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

The professional news media reported accurately. Then the internet, largely through memes blew it up out of proportion. So, you could easily blame the "media" if you mean social media. But that is what social media does.

I give until the start of the week for someone to claim Trump was really playing the media deliberately, and by tricking them into writing about how stupid his comments were he was actually making himself look good and therefore winning. Somehow.

10 minutes ago, jakee said:

I give until the start of the week for someone to claim Trump was really playing the media deliberately, and by tricking them into writing about how stupid his comments were he was actually making himself look good and therefore winning. Somehow.

My, oh My!!  You mean you are admitting that someone might try to spin something to their own view of thigs?  <Gasp>  Never has that ever happened, ever!!

4 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

My, oh My!!  You mean you are admitting that someone might try to spin something to their own view of thigs?  <Gasp>  Never has that ever happened, ever!!

Eh? I know you don't pay much attention to what is actually said but surely it hasn't escaped even your notice that this is the standard Trump supporter's play on this forum. When you get to the point that you simply can't think of any more ways to defend his nonsense, claim he did it on purpose to distract the media from something else. 

By the way, it's also a bizarre suggestion that I can't conceive that anyone would spin things to their own view of things when I've just spent the last week calling you out on the lies that you've been telling while trying to spin things to your point of view. Again, I just can't understand how you've managed to miss that. 

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

He's pontificating because he's feeling the damage to the economy, as are many others.  There needs to be some balance between flattening the curve and flattening the economy.

There is.  Florida is reopening soon.  California will go to stage 2 in a few weeks.  Alabama is reopening today.  Arizona is reopening restaurants in about two weeks.

Today Dewine extended the stay at home order until June 1.  

Some states did better than others during the shutdown; other states still have rising infection rates.  It is infection/death rates and testing capability that will determine when states reopen.

Sucks that some people couldn't be bothered to shelter in place, eh?  Almost as if there are consequences for actions.

3 minutes ago, billvon said:

Some states did better than others during the shutdown; other states still have rising infection rates.  It is infection/death rates and testing capability that will determine when states reopen.

Everyone wants to do the right thing. No one really knows what the right thing is. The fighting over different plans and different points of view has already been nasty, but tempered by enormous social pressure to not make people sick. All that is about to change. We are in for a VERY nasty battle with high emotions on both sides. And it is going to last for months.

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Everyone wants to do the right thing. No one really knows what the right thing is. 

I disagree there.

I'm willing to bet that a fairly large percentage of people just don't care enough about others to want to do the right thing if it affects them personally.

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Everyone wants to do the right thing.

Not in my experience.  A former neighbor of mine is on Facebook is bragging how he's going out without a mask and standing close to people because he is courageous and "refuses to cower in terror."  When I pointed out he was putting other people at risk, he said "well then let them wear masks if they are so scared."

Some people just don't care.

38 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

I disagree there.

I'm willing to bet that a fairly large percentage of people just don't care enough about others to want to do the right thing if it affects them personally.

I don't think it's so much not caring as it is self preservation.  Let's take a look at the current Ohio numbers

Population      11,646,273

Reported infections  - 18,027  % of population  .0015

Deaths - 975  % of population  0.00837

So the risk is extremely low here.  Opening the economy could cause a spike but we are nowhere near the projections of 45 days ago.

44 minutes ago, airdvr said:

I don't think it's so much not caring as it is self preservation.  Let's take a look at the current Ohio numbers

So the risk is extremely low here.  Opening the economy could cause a spike but we are nowhere near the projections of 45 days ago.

Ohio is also at pretty much at the absolute bottom of testing per 1 million people. Easy to have very little infections when you simply don't test for it.

9 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Not sure where you're seeing those numbers.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/27/coronavirus-many-states-short-of-testing-levels-needed-for-safe-reopening/

Ohio shows pretty good on this map.  None of the states are where they need to be.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

(edited)
12 minutes ago, airdvr said:

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/27/coronavirus-many-states-short-of-testing-levels-needed-for-safe-reopening/

Ohio shows pretty good on this map.  None of the states are where they need to be.

I think you're reading that data wrong.   It's in fact saying that Ohio would need to perform more than 14k tests daily to come up to the baseline testing recommended by the Fed in order to open by 5/1

Edited by lummy

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

But remember that Ohio has had quite a strict lockdown, and when it was announced you said something along the lines of 'let's hope it works'. Well, if you're now seeing relatively low levels of infection and death then it looks like the lockdown has been working. But to take the view that 'hey the lockdown works and we're currently low risk so we can lift the lockdown and everything will be fine' doesn't make sense. If you open everything back up and then you do end up hitting those projections, just 45 days later then what have you gained from all the hardship?

21 minutes ago, airdvr said:

That map says that Ohio should perform ~14,500 test per day, and is ~10,800 below that target. Not sure what your definition of 'pretty good' is.

21 minutes ago, jakee said:

That map says that Ohio should perform ~14,500 test per day, and is ~10,800 below that target. Not sure what your definition of 'pretty good' is.

Most assessments of the amount of testing that will be needed over the next few months are national. But while those are a good starting point, they do not give individual states, let alone cities, much guidance. “You can’t just take the national number and scale it to states by their population,” said Ashish Jha, director of the Harvard Global Health Institute. “You have to base it on the size of the outbreak in a state.”

6 minutes ago, Bigfalls said:

I know I have lost some hearing due to loud rock-n-roll when I was younger and too many hours in airplanes with no hearing protection but with everyone wearing a mask, they all sound like Kenny from South Park.

Hehe..I was at WallyWorld yesterday.  I asked a young kid where I could locate something.  It did kind of sound like Kenny now that you mention it. ^.^

5 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Most assessments of the amount of testing that will be needed over the next few months are national. But while those are a good starting point, they do not give individual states, let alone cities, much guidance. “You can’t just take the national number and scale it to states by their population,” said Ashish Jha, director of the Harvard Global Health Institute. “You have to base it on the size of the outbreak in a state.”

Hold on, you were saying how your numbers were so good. But then simply ignore how you are at the absolute bottom of rate of testing. How do you know your numbers are so good compared to other states when you test significantly less than those states?

2 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Hold on, you were saying how your numbers were so good. But then simply ignore how you are at the absolute bottom of rate of testing. How do you know your numbers are so good compared to other states when you test significantly less than those states?

Because the size of the outbreak is significantly less.  You didn't read the last sentence.  I was wrong about the map but the map is based on national numbers, which are inflated by NY/NJ.