5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

(edited)
25 minutes ago, airdvr said:

No, Poison Control Calls Aren't Suddenly Spiking After Trump's Disinfectant Comments

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 28,158 people called U.S. poison control centers about possible exposure to household cleaners in March 2020, compared to 25,021 in March 2019. The number of calls about possible exposure to disinfectants went from 12,801 in March 2019 to 17,392 in March 2020.

The CDC report containing these numbers was released this week, so many have interpreted the data as being related to the Trump disinfectant hoopla. But the CDC data on poison control calls end on March 31.

Why would there be a spike in March based on comments made in April?

The increases were reported by various states regarding calls to their poison control centres. I am not going to spend time linking stories, since I am dealing with people who think March data disproves that an April event caused something.

Edited by SkyDekker

33 minutes ago, airdvr said:

No, Poison Control Calls Aren't Suddenly Spiking After Trump's Disinfectant Comments

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 28,158 people called U.S. poison control centers about possible exposure to household cleaners in March 2020, compared to 25,021 in March 2019. The number of calls about possible exposure to disinfectants went from 12,801 in March 2019 to 17,392 in March 2020.

The CDC report containing these numbers was released this week, so many have interpreted the data as being related to the Trump disinfectant hoopla. But the CDC data on poison control calls end on March 31.

From NPR:

New York City says its poison control center received a higher-than-normal number of calls in the day after President Trump speculated that injecting household disinfectants could be a coronavirus treatment.

The city's Department of Health and Mental Hygiene said that in an 18-hour period ending at 3 p.m. Friday, the poison control center recorded 30 cases. These included nine "specifically about exposure to Lysol, 10 cases specifically about bleach and 11 cases about exposures to other household cleaners," department spokesperson Pedro F. Frisneda tells NPR. That compares with only 13 cases for the same time frame one year ago.

From The Hill:

Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer (D) and Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan (R) also said on Sunday that emergency hotlines in their states recorded an increase in calls from people looking for guidance since Trump’s controversial remarks.

“We have seen an increase in numbers of people calling poison control, and so I think it’s really important that every one of us with a platform disseminate medically accurate information,” Whitmer said. 

“I want to say, unequivocally no one should be using disinfectant, to digest it to fight COVID-19,” she continued. “Please don’t do it. Just don’t do it.”

Hogan said his state saw “hundreds of calls come into our emergency hotline at our health department asking if it was right to ingest Clorox or alcohol cleaning products, whether that was going to help them fight the virus.”

3 minutes ago, billvon said:

From The Hill:

Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer (D) and Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan (R) also said on Sunday that emergency hotlines in their states recorded an increase in calls from people looking for guidance since Trump’s controversial remarks.

That sounds to me like his comments were unclear to those people, and needed to be clarified by someone they considered as a medical professional, doesn't it?

I mean, that's why I would call and ask questions.  It seems pretty logical.

52 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

That sounds to me like his comments were unclear to those people, and needed to be clarified by someone they considered as a medical professional, doesn't it?

Oh, ok, now you think it's plausible that his meaning was unclear to people? So can we expect a retraction of the past 5 pages of you insisting that there is no way anyone culd possibly think Trump might have been suggesting that people drink bleach, along with everything else you've just walked back?

Do you also not see it as an issue that his comments may have caused time and effort to be used by by those agencies, at a point when there resources are likely to be already stretched way past normal bounds? 

2 minutes ago, jakee said:

Do you also not see it as an issue that his comments may have caused time and effort to be used by by those agencies, at a point when there resources are likely to be already stretched way past normal bounds? 

Or that if you are a staunch supporter of smaller government, you should also be opposed to a government needlessly making more work for themselves?

That if you want smaller government, you should want preparedness and a systematic approach. Not shooting from the hip, sending government employees on wild goose chases?

That as a strong proponent of smaller government you have a very thorough understanding of sunk costs principles?

2 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Can't be.  We have heard from Trump supporters that he didn't say anything about injecting or drinking disinfectant, and that anyone who even considers that is too stupid to live.

27 minutes ago, billvon said:

Can't be.  We have heard from Trump supporters that he didn't say anything about injecting or drinking disinfectant, and that anyone who even considers that is too stupid to live.

Keep grasping at straws and avoiding your real problem...no one on the dem side to beat Trump.  I can feel the fear in your posts.

1 minute ago, airdvr said:

Keep grasping at straws and avoiding your real problem...no one on the dem side to beat Trump.  I can feel the fear in your posts.

You don't think handling the Covid-19 pandemic is a real problem?

Christ alive, if you're back to thinking it's all a media scare job I don't even know what to say to you.

3 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Keep grasping at straws and avoiding your real problem...

The fact that you think the presidential election is the real problem, rather than 63,952 dead Americans (and tens of thousands more to come) says . . . a lot about your priorities.

28 minutes ago, billvon said:

We have heard from Trump supporters that he didn't say anything about injecting or drinking disinfectant, and that anyone who even considers that is too stupid to live.

There is only one person in this forum that I know of lately that has said anything remotely close to that, and he isn't a Trump supporter.

"Let them infect each other, get lots of people sick all at once, overwhelm the health care system and die."

https://www.dropzone.com/forums/topic/267518-covid-19/?do=findComment&comment=4891988

(edited)
8 minutes ago, billvon said:

The fact that you think the presidential election is the real problem, rather than 63,952 dead Americans (and tens of thousands more to come) says . . . a lot about your priorities.

Given the Federal pressure and prevention of reporting and testing at State levels AND Federal levels....the number could very possibly painfully stunning.

I'm starting to think we could trust China, NoKo, and maybe even Russia more than we can currently trust the US government.

It's beyond belief to realize what has really happened since Trump World started.

Edited by normiss

2 minutes ago, Coreece said:

There is only one person in this forum that I know of lately that has said anything remotely close to that, and he isn't a Trump supporter.

"Let them infect each other, get lots of people sick all at once, overwhelm the health care system and die."

That comment has no connection whatsoever to the disinfectant situation.

On the other hand, Turtlespeed has called them stupid and said it would be solely their fault if anyone gets harmed by it, and he is a Trump supporter.

12 minutes ago, billvon said:

I said your real problem...not mine.

16 minutes ago, jakee said:

You don't think handling the Covid-19 pandemic is a real problem?

Christ alive, if you're back to thinking it's all a media scare job I don't even know what to say to you.

The spittle laced diatribes here blaming Trump for all the world's ills is proof enough for me that you're  slowly coming to the realization that you'll have to suffer 4 more years.

I don't think it's a media scare job.  I think it's a serious problem that has been overblown by the media.  So do many.

1 minute ago, jakee said:
6 minutes ago, Coreece said:

That comment has no connection whatsoever to the disinfectant situation.

But it does have a connection to the covid crisis and people he considers stupid, which is what Bill was referring to. 

2 minutes ago, airdvr said:

I don't think it's a media scare job.  I think it's a serious problem that has been overblown by the media.  So do many.

Many people also think Trump is a great president, that America was founded with the purpose of being a Christian nation, and that the media is entirely composed of liars who support the liberal agenda. Well, except for Fox and Rush, those bastions of honest journalism.

Wendy P.

Just now, airdvr said:

The spittle laced diatribes here blaming Trump for all the world's ills is proof enough for me that you're  slowly coming to the realization that you'll have to suffer 4 more years.

You mean blaming Trump for the stupid things he does?

Funny, the fact that the right wing true believers like you and Turtlespeed have to constantly create imaginary exaggerated attacks against Trump to be the strawman you respond to instead of facing what's really going on is proof enough that you're starting to realise what a useless imbecile you've hitched your wagon to. 

But hey, just like your flip flops on Covid I'm sure that in 4 years time when he's a distant memory you'll be claiming you always knew he was a phoney.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

... 63,952 dead Americans (and tens of thousands more to come) 

I'm expecting the number to surpass 200,000 by the end of August.  The number of new cases per day is the same now as it was a week ago, two weeks ago, 4 weeks ago.  The number of new deaths is the same as a week ago, two weeks ago, and 75% higher than it was 4 weeks ago.

2 minutes ago, headoverheels said:

I'm expecting the number to surpass 200,000 by the end of August.  The number of new cases per day is the same now as it was a week ago.

We hit 2800 dead per day about a week ago.  Since then we've seen a decrease.  Given that, maintaining current social distancing, we'll top out at about 100,000.  With foolish decisions we _might_ hit 200,000 - but I tend to doubt it.   The people now in charge of managing this crisis (i.e. the governors) are getting smarter.

12 minutes ago, billvon said:

We hit 2800 dead per day about a week ago.  Since then we've seen a decrease.  Given that, maintaining current social distancing, we'll top out at about 100,000.  With foolish decisions we _might_ hit 200,000 - but I tend to doubt it.   The people now in charge of managing this crisis (i.e. the governors) are getting smarter.

so just like the flu.

/s

1 minute ago, SkyDekker said:

so just like the flu.

In the UK we now have twice as many people dying per day in total than would be considered normal.

And the thing about the whole 'but the flu' defence in general was that it completely ignored the notion of things being cumulative. Even if Covid was only as bad as the flu, we'd still have loads of people dying of flu plus loads of people dying of Covid.

Plus it hasn't magically gone away in April. Imagine if that had been Sean "I'm an amoral tosspot" Hannity's tagline - "It's just like the flu except it keeps killing people all year round!" I dont think you'd have had many people jumping on that bandwagon.

19 minutes ago, jakee said:

In the UK we now have twice as many people dying per day in total than would be considered normal.

And the thing about the whole 'but the flu' defence in general was that it completely ignored the notion of things being cumulative. Even if Covid was only as bad as the flu, we'd still have loads of people dying of flu plus loads of people dying of Covid.

Plus it hasn't magically gone away in April. Imagine if that had been Sean "I'm an amoral tosspot" Hannity's tagline - "It's just like the flu except it keeps killing people all year round!" I dont think you'd have had many people jumping on that bandwagon.

Do you know why the UK has been so badly hit? 
My dad is so glad he’s not there right now!

47 minutes ago, billvon said:

Given that, maintaining current social distancing, we'll top out at about 100,000. 

Current social distancing is not sustainable for the long haul. Flattening the curve will not make the virus go away, it merely buys time for the health system to adapt. There will be several 100K deaths in the US and a proportional amount in Canada in the end. The end is more than a year from now. This estimate is down from the 1 million I first thought. The reason for that is the current estimate that more than half of those infected don't really get sick. Originally most people thought that number was only 20%.

• Like 1