5 5
gowlerk

covid-19

5 hours ago, turtlespeed said:

Yes - he was spitballing ideas - not a very prudent action - 

The press would have you believe that he did it maliciously.  Jakee too.

Hanlon's razor is an aphorism "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity",

The media aren’t saying he said it with malice, at least not any article I’ve seen. They are saying you’ve got a dumb as a rock President whose too stupid to know better.

It must be a scary thing to have the most powerful man in your country, dumber than the average 8 year old

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billvon said:

You are getting pretty bad with the trolling.

Sadly I don’t believe he’s trolling.

I think he’s a die hard Trump supporter who believes that Hillary runs a child abuse ring in the basement of a pizza place and that the sun shines out of Trumps ass.

But as the saying goes, arguing on the internet is like winning the special olympics. Even if you win you’re still retarded.

It’s time to stop arguing and start ignoring. I normally enjoy debate, but it’s got to have purpose. Spending pages of posts trying to split hairs so that Trump is right and the media are evil is pointless.

20 minutes ago, jakee said:

Turtle is hanging his hat on two things.

1) We, and the media, can only reply to the strictest possible literal reading of what Trump said, and make crystal clear in news headlines and our posts about it that we are not implying he meant anything beyond that strict reading.

2) He gets to interpret news headlines in the loosest possible sense, and infer that malicious falsehoods against Trump are being intended, even when the headline does not actually say it, and nothing else in the coverage or article supports the inference.

Thus, he gets to bitch and whine that the media are falsely claiming that Trump instructed people to inject themselves with bleach because Trump did not say that, even though the media also did not say that. 

And he thinks he's being clever.XoX

This is the standard playbook to make sure you can continue to blame another entity. Constantly different standards, with the only one unchangeable item is that it has to make Trump look good.

If the media reports what he says literally and it makes Trump look bad, the argument is the media should have provided more reporting on what the President meant and is therefor biased.

If the media ascribes meaning to a statement and it makes Trump look bad, the argument is the media should stick to literal reporting and should allow for others to make up their own minds.

The chaos Trump creates constantly allows for him and his supporters never having to be held to a single standard. It constantly shifts and with it they can constantly shift. With the end result being that they can always argue it is the media's fault.

19 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

He didn't instruct, he suggested. I also haven't seen any reputable media saying Trump instructed people to do so. Why are you constantly building strawman arguments to defend Trump?

"I see disinfectant, where it knocks it out in a minute, one minute, and is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside, or almost a cleaning"

Yes. That is what he said.

"Is there a way we can do something like injection, or almost a cleaning?"

What in that is a suggestion that you should:

1) Find a syringe

2) Fill it full of disinfectant

3) Inject yourself with it

Its so amazing to me that you guys think that anyone can glean those instructions out of that statement.

10 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Its so amazing to me that you guys think that anyone can glean those instructions out of that statement.

So what then, you think all the poison centres reporting massive influxes of calls about disinfectant are lying about it? You think all the doctors burying their heads in their hands and saying "great, there's a whole bunch of extra moron handling work we didn't need" don't have any experience and ability to predict how people respond to those kinds of suggestions?

Besides which, the whole 'instruction' thing is simply a red herring that you and only you are hung up on. One that you have simply invented, and continue to lie about. It's absolutely irrelevant to the fact that the statements on their own and at face value are unforgiveably stupid and ignorant for anyone at that level of government, let alone one who has already spent months being briefed on and 'dealing with' this pandemic.

Of course, you won't understand that either, because you think his suggestions were good ideas.

5 minutes ago, jakee said:

So what then, you think all the poison centres reporting massive influxes of calls about disinfectant are lying about it? You think all the doctors burying their heads in their hands and saying "great, there's a whole bunch of extra moron handling work we didn't need" don't have any experience and ability to predict how people respond to those kinds of suggestions?

Besides which, the whole 'instruction' thing is simply a red herring that you and only you are hung up on. One that you have simply invented, and continue to lie about. It's absolutely irrelevant to the fact that the statements on their own and at face value are unforgiveably stupid and ignorant for anyone at that level of government, let alone one who has already spent months being briefed on and 'dealing with' this pandemic.

Of course, you won't understand that either, because you think his suggestions were good ideas.

I stopped using the word "instructed" so you can drop that line.

I don't think "Lie" means what you think it means.

I don't believe that the statements were a very responsible thing to do.  I am still resistant to the idea that there are many people out there that would take the suggestion and run that far with it.

I guess I have more faith in people.

1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

I don't believe that the statements were a very responsible thing to do.  I am still resistant to the idea that there are many people out there that would take the suggestion and run that far with it.

I guess I have more faith in people.

Depends on what the meaning of "many" is.  Apparently there were enough people who hang on Trump's every word like it came from heaven on stone tablets, that poison centers across the country noticed an uptick in cases.

1 hour ago, turtlespeed said:

When? I have not seen the post where you concede that the media did not say he instructed people to inject bleach. I have not seen a post from you that retracts that allegation, nor one in which, to quote you, "The words start with "I was wrong, you were right . . . "and they go from there . . ."

It means damn near everything you've said in this thread. You've seemed intent on making it clear that you are unaware of the meaning of the word "truth".

I don't believe that the statements were a very responsible thing to do. 

Why do you think the statements weren't very responsible when you claim that spending time and resources researching on whether bleach and UV light can cure people of viral infection is a good idea?

Then, if you don't think the statements were responsible, why did you defend them to the hilt until Trump himself disowned them?

32 minutes ago, kallend said:

Depends on what the meaning of "many" is.  Apparently there were enough people who hang on Trump's every word like it came from heaven on stone tablets, that poison centers across the country noticed an uptick in cases.

That is pretty stupid of them, isn't it?

4 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

That is pretty stupid of them, isn't it?

Hey look, you've decided "the left crew" was right all along. 

Yet another opportunity for you to make that post you suggested. "The words start with..."

(edited)

Here's the exact transcript..

Right. And then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning. Because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs. So it would be interesting to check that. So, that, you’re going to have to use medical doctors with. But it sounds — it sounds interesting to me.

I blame MSM for the way they covered it.  Even now there is no question mark after the word cleaning.

Edited by airdvr

5 minutes ago, airdvr said:

I blame MSM for the way they covered it.  Even now there is no question mark after the word cleaning.

Sure. You have to, because otherwise you'd have to admit how stupid your hero is and that would crumble your worldview.

By the way, why is it the MSM's fault that the White House didn't put a question mark at the end of a question in the official transcript? How can you be that desperate to find something to blame them for?

7 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Here's the exact transcript..

Right. And then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning. Because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs. So it would be interesting to check that. So, that, you’re going to have to use medical doctors with. But it sounds — it sounds interesting to me.

Wait - you mean you didn't run out and try to find a syringe and inject yourself with disinfectant the moment after you read that?

What could possibly be stopping you?

8 minutes ago, airdvr said:

I blame MSM for the way they covered it.

Of course you do. Dear Leader couldn't possibly be at fault. Bootlicking never stops.

The media reported what he literally said, transcript and all. Pretty sure you got that transcript from the media.

The notion that a question mark would have made a difference is idiotic.

2 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Wait - you mean you didn't run out and try to find a syringe and inject yourself with disinfectant the moment after you read that?

What could possibly be stopping you?

A fair number of Americans did. The notion you are barely smarter than that isn't really something to celebrate in my eyes. I say barely, cause you think injecting disinfectants is something doctors should be looking into.

2 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

A fair number of Americans did. The notion you are barely smarter than that isn't really something to celebrate in my eyes. I say barely, cause you think injecting disinfectants is something doctors should be looking into.

I think that's good for you.  It makes you feel superior. You keep thinking that.

4 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

I think that's good for you.  It makes you feel superior. You keep thinking that.

And you crowing just now about how stupid they must be, you don't think you're superior to that? When you compared them to junkies and said they're a special type of person that wasn't superiority?

(edited)
3 hours ago, jakee said:

you think all the poison centres reporting massive influxes of calls about disinfectant are lying about it?

I'm not surprised that there has been a spike in poison control calls given all the makeshit sanitizers and all the bored kids at home, many of which may not be supervised.  The real question is how many are directly related to Trump's comments.

Edited by Coreece
I meant 'makeshift' not 'makeshit' but it was too funny for me to correct.

14 minutes ago, Coreece said:

I'm not surprised that there has been a spike in poison control calls given all the makeshit sanitizers and all the bored kids at home, many of which may not be supervised.  The real question is how many are directly related to Trump's comments.

Well, since the kids have been locked down for weeks, and the poison centres were reporting a spike since last Thursday... well... yeah. You figure it out.

No, Poison Control Calls Aren't Suddenly Spiking After Trump's Disinfectant Comments

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 28,158 people called U.S. poison control centers about possible exposure to household cleaners in March 2020, compared to 25,021 in March 2019. The number of calls about possible exposure to disinfectants went from 12,801 in March 2019 to 17,392 in March 2020.

The CDC report containing these numbers was released this week, so many have interpreted the data as being related to the Trump disinfectant hoopla. But the CDC data on poison control calls end on March 31.

10 minutes ago, Coreece said:

The one story I read said that they saw the increase within the last month, not within the last week.

Ah, my mistake. I was conflating it with indiviual accounts from doctors saying they'd had to address queries related to it.